Sponsored

Changing Physical Key on Bronco Door (Key fob & Bronco stolen, but we took it back)

Nobody

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snowtrek.org
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I used to use a steering wheel lock years ago when I lived in DC. A friend told me about how car thieves use the steering wheel as a lever to break itself off of the steering column and then simply set the mess aside and (somehow - with a tool perhaps?) drive with the column alone.

Short version: steering wheel locks like "The Club" are easily defeated by motivated thieves.

OP might consider changing plates if that's an option. If the thieves do want to retaliate, no sense identifying the vehicle for them.
Steering wheel locks have always been a joke. You can cut through the steering wheel in a few seconds.
Sponsored

OP
OP

jjthebutcher

Base
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
So it was in a driveway, at a house? And you didnt get the cops to arrive with proof your car was at that house to make an arrest? Or at least grab photos of people getting inside? How long did they have it?
They had it 2 1/2 hours. KC cops (Again great guys) are so busy they just couldn't come to help us. We had dispatch on the line and they basically said its yours, you can grab it if you want too. We don't know when we can get a unit there.

OP
OP

jjthebutcher

Base
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I used to use a steering wheel lock years ago when I lived in DC. A friend told me about how car thieves use the steering wheel as a lever to break itself off of the steering column and then simply set the mess aside and (somehow - with a tool perhaps?) drive with the column alone.

Short version: steering wheel locks like "The Club" are easily defeated by motivated thieves.

OP might consider changing plates if that's an option. If the thieves do want to retaliate, no sense identifying the vehicle for them.
Great idea, it still had temp tags, so we are going to DMV to get the perm. Also we took off the dealer logo and plate frame...

OP
OP

jjthebutcher

Base
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’m assuming your friends, Smith and Wesson, we’re along for that ride. I agree with calling the cops to meet you at the address to recover the truck.

My wife was involved in a hit and run accident (DUI rear ended her at 45 mph when she was stopped at a light) a few years back, PD response was slow and unsatisfactory. Later that day one of my wife’s colleagues saw the vehicle that likely hit her in an apartment complex parking lot, my wife went to verify and get information off the car for our insurance company. When she arrived and saw the car she called PD and asked them to respond to investigate, they told her they would send someone later in the day and instructed her to leave the scene for her own safety. She told them that she was armed and fully capable of defending herself if the suspects returned, two cops responded within two minutes. In the end the investigation didn’t yield any results as the vehicle was stolen and had bad plates from another vehicle. This was in Flagstaff, AZ and the driver and occupants of the vehicle were native, so once they made it back to the reservation the city cops had no authority.
Yep we had dispatch on the phone, but they couldn't give us an ETA on someone getting there (waited like 15 mins at least) didn't want a direct fight with someone getting back in the truck. Also knew if it got away we would never see it again or it would have been a rolling meth lab. Seemed like a good chance to grab and go. Thankfully it all worked out. Now have an awesome story for 2 truths and a lie....

Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep we had dispatch on the phone, but they couldn't give us an ETA on someone getting there (waited like 15 mins at least) didn't want a direct fight with someone getting back in the truck. Also knew if it got away we would never see it again or it would have been a rolling meth lab. Seemed like a good chance to grab and go. Thankfully it all worked out. Now have an awesome story for 2 truths and a lie....
Completely unacceptable not to roll a squad car out for you. I’d be taking that up with the city gov’t.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I'm glad Ford Pass worked out for you! When my buddies Super Duty was stolen the thieves were able to spoof the location.

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yep, keeping it in garage for now. Thus the question about physical key etc... once I can get a new cylinder I'll feel better.
There is a lock cylinder in the bottom of the center console that the emergency key is also used for……in case the battery in the key fob goes dead, the use of this key will allow the push button start to work

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

There is a lock cylinder in the bottom of the center console that the emergency key is also used for……in case the battery in the key fob goes dead, the use of this key will allow the push button start to work
There is no lock cylinder, it’s a backup/programming location using a PATS antenna to pick up the key fob signal.

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There is no lock cylinder, it’s a backup/programming location using a PATS antenna to pick up the key fob signal.
If the key fob has a dead battery, doesn’t that eliminate any key fob signal? I removed the emergency key and it fits into a lock cylinder at the bottom of the center console.

IMG_6924.jpeg

Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If the key fob has a dead battery, doesn’t that eliminate any key fob signal? I removed the emergency key and it fits into a lock cylinder at the bottom of the center console.

IMG_6924.jpeg
No. Even with a dead battery, the antenna can still activate the fob. Do you have a picture of this “lock cylinder” because I’ve never seen anything like that.

Backup Starting

NOTE:
There are certain areas within the vehicle where the passive key may not be detected and the message center displays "No Key Detected". If the passive key is in the far outside edges of the interior (such as in a door map pocket or above a sun visor), it may not be detected. Move the passive key to a different location and try to turn the ignition on.

When the BCM does not detect a valid programmed passive key in the passenger compartment or cargo area, the "No Key Detected" message displays in the message center when the START/STOP button is pressed.

In the event of one of these failures, place a programmed passive key in the passive key backup starting location to allow the vehicle to start. When the START/STOP button is pressed, the PATS center antenna activates the passive key and the identification code is sent to the BCM . The passive key must be oriented correctly in the backup starting location.

Ford Bronco Changing Physical Key on Bronco Door (Key fob & Bronco stolen, but we took it back) IMG_2666

pillar406

Outer Banks
First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.keeseemotorcompany.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So My wife left the key fob in the truck, it was taken about 4:30am. However, using Ford Pass we found it and took it back (full of stolen goods also) Anyway, dealer got a new Fob and reprogrammed both Fobs but the bad guys still have a physical key to the door. Old Fob was deactivated, does that also deactivate the transponder in the physical key? Do the keys have chips/transponders?

New lock cylinders are not available yet, so just trying to see how much at risk we are... Or if anyone has any ideas?

TL/DR we stole our Bronco back from bad guys and now need new keys.
Did you ever get the lock cylinder replaced. I work for a dealership and if you send me the VIN I can look at the price of getting you one. We have replaced a few cylinders for similar concerns.

mjcutri

Heritage
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco HE
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Way to resurrect a dead thread with a response that includes bad information... :rolleyes:

RimrockPaul

Base
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
So My wife left the key fob in the truck, it was taken about 4:30am. However, using Ford Pass we found it and took it back (full of stolen goods also) Anyway, dealer got a new Fob and reprogrammed both Fobs but the bad guys still have a physical key to the door. Old Fob was deactivated, does that also deactivate the transponder in the physical key? Do the keys have chips/transponders?

New lock cylinders are not available yet, so just trying to see how much at risk we are... Or if anyone has any ideas?

TL/DR we stole our Bronco back from bad guys and now need new keys.
I'd fill the key lock with a bit of jb weld. That will disable it. Then replace when available .
Paul

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I build a lot of the cylinders at our shop so you will need new backup keys cut along with the code so it can be built to the new code. It's kind of a PITA to build the sidewinder/laser cut cylinders, don't even try if you've never done it. Either way, you'll need new backups before building the replacements. It's easy to pick any code/biting and I'm willing to help if there's still a need.
Sponsored