Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have the Base with the 3.73, will adding a LSD be easy on a Dana 44, or, is a Mini Spool the way to go?
Sponsored

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’d go with a proper Lsd especially if this is your daily. The cheap mini spools can be clunky and noisy.
It’s no more if a pain than any other differential beside you will need a gear set. The non locking diff’s on the broncos have the ring gear welded to the carrier.

OP
OP
NewBroncoOwner

NewBroncoOwner

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’d go with a proper Lsd especially if this is your daily. The cheap mini spools can be clunky and noisy.
It’s no more if a pain than any other differential beside you will need a gear set. The non locking diff’s on the broncos have the ring gear welded to the carrier.
Ah, good info! I do like Yukon gear sets, they have to have a sold LSD for the 44.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you really want to drop some $$ and are going onboard air you can grab an air locker from arb. But myself like a Lsd and wouldn’t have minded if it was an option. One of these days I’m going to let go of some money to upgrade my front diff. But now is it the time lol

OP
OP
NewBroncoOwner

NewBroncoOwner

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I dont off-road that hard to warrant an air locker. Coming from street/strip racing I am comfortable with an LSD and the internal workings. Being a daily in Montana and weekend offroader that should be the right amount of upgrade i need.

Are the dana 44s 30 spline as well?

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A spool will destroy your axles, eat up your tires and be completely un-drivable in most situations. I would spend some time researching options. My suggestion would be some sort of automatic mechanical locker, like a Detroit Locker. Clutched LSD'ds are not a bad option, but they wear and do not provide the same positive mechanical lock. This thread has lots of details on your question-https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/base-model-rear-locking-differential.6693/

I believe it was verified that the gears on the open diff are welded. This doesn't make it impossible, but add to the cost and complexity to some extent.

LockedBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Had a Ford 9in LSD broke that went to a Auburn unit and that didn't last long.
Had a Detroit Locker for 20 years no problems.

OP
OP
NewBroncoOwner

NewBroncoOwner

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Drag life with LSDs and offroad with an LSD are a whole different animal. Ill look into a detroit locker too.

Digger 5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
A Detroit Locker isn't yet made for the M220 diff. In the 12+ Jeep JK (with AT) installing one in the rear would put the rig into limp mode.

A mini spool doesn't clunk as it's a solid diff now with nothing to clunk. It will drag tires and is generally a PITA. Most likely the poster is confusing this with a lunchbox locker such as a Lock-Right. They will clunk and wear out over time.

All of the Bronco rears (except Raptor) use the M220 diff and are just CALLED D44. They are not interchangeable with a common 44. They have 32 spline axle shafts and a bit different ring and pinion. I don't know of any LSD currently available for the M220 except for the factory Trac-Loc unit used in the Jeep JL/JT. This is a direct bolt-in but not a great unit. As mentioned earlier, the ring and pinions on all non-Sasquatch Broncos are welded to the diff. You can get new Dana 3.73 M220 gear set for a Jeep JL (PN 10062017). It is a direct bolt-in as well.

The front M190 doesn't have a gear set available yet but I expect to see them early next year. This will allow a swap to deeper gears. Air Lockers are already available for the M190 front.
Sponsored