First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Pardon my ignorance, but this will be the first time I change the oil in both diffs. Can someone explain the torque needed for the cover? I found 177lbs and 25. What does that mean? I tried looking it up, but couldn’t find any info. Also, the book says that the plugs are non reusable? And can someone confirm the oils that that need for both the front and rear?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I found 177lbs and 25.
My guess is you have one source in inch lbs (177) and one in foot lbs (25) - the two numbers you have don’t exactly agree but are both in the same ballpark, and it wouldn’t be the first time you have a different spec from Ford and one from the OEM (the oil spec is the similar, for instance)

Bigger risk of going too tight and damaging the gasket than too loose - where you would probably notice an oil drip before anything catastrophic occurred. The gasket would likely hold just fine with just every other bolt in - but don’t go trying that out.

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Pardon my ignorance, but this will be the first time I change the oil in both diffs. Can someone explain the torque needed for the cover? I found 177lbs and 25. What does that mean? I tried looking it up, but couldn’t find any info. Also, the book says that the plugs are non reusable? And can someone confirm the oils that that need for both the front and rear?

Thanks!
I forgot to answer the other questions.

Ford specs an initial torque value and then a degree to turn after initial torque value. Just tighten to between 22 and 25 foot-pounds and you will be good.

The drain plugs are completely reusable. There are nothing more than standard half inch NPT pipe thread plugs.

The gasket is also reusable multiple times unless it is damaged.

Finally, I would run 75W-140 in both axles as Dana specifies. If you so choose, you can also follow Ford's recommendations but you're not going to find off-the-shelf oils to meet the viscosity they specify in the owner's manual for the rear (75W-85), it is a Ford only oil.

OP
OP

Rush4th

Base
First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thank you all for the info! You guys are awesome for clearing that up for me.

Shoukd I use any lock tight on any of the bolts?

Sponsored

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘16 Corvette Z51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm glad you asked for torque values, because overtightening NPT plugs can crack housings on any car.
Sponsored