Sponsored

Cheap hard plastic, YES PLEASE! Exposed screw heads, YES PLEASE.

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
  • Banned
This is why I don't have a problem with "cheap" hard plastic. This is a so called "soft touch" panel in my car. This panel was recalled because it can degrade and become sticky. I didn't have that problem because I keep my car mostly in the shade, but as you can see it looks pretty bad. I purcahsed a new panel and will be changing it out this weekend. Unfortunately this is not an easy task. The panel on the drivers side is hard plastic and looks like new! I would like to meet the auto journalists who started faulting exposed screw heads several decades ago, WORST thing to happen to automotive design. Hard plastic YES PLEASE, exposed screw heads YES PLEASE!!! Clips, NO!

Ford Bronco Cheap hard plastic, YES PLEASE! Exposed screw heads, YES PLEASE. 1645719133088
Sponsored

heavyD

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 BMW X3M Competition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Umm okay. That looks like a dash out of a 2000's year Mazda, Nissan economy car or something. Is the moral of the story that cheap cars should come with hard plastic dash panels or that soft dash panels from in mid to low tier vehicles may not look new after 10+ years?

Last edited:

Sponsored

widnere12

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out the point of this post.

I think almost everyone would prefer not to have exposed screw heads (both for aesthetics and safety reasons). Although I guess I can see the value if you want to take your car apart.

Otherwise, the dash shown looks to be much older than just a couple of years and references another side of the vehicle that cannot be seen at the same time so doesnt give a full representation.

.....and how is this a Bronco thing?

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think almost everyone would prefer not to have exposed screw heads (both for aesthetics and safety reasons). Although I guess I can see the value if you want to take your car apart.

Otherwise, the dash shown looks to be much older than just a couple of years and references another side of the vehicle that cannot be seen at the same time so doesnt give a full representation.

TLDR: He prefers the Bronco design over his current car.

Sponsored

Heart2

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Did you walk to work or bring your lunch?

heynow14

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco - BL SAS MT LUX SOFT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Abrams tanks have exposed bolts and rivets all over them. Are these made with soft-touch steel panels? If not, they should be.

OP
OP
markregel

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base

There has been numerous threads on this site complaining about "cheap hard plastic" in the Bronco, this is an example why I'm okay with it. I figured folks on this forum would make the connection, maybe I was wrong. You have a point about the screw heads there is really no Bronco connection, but I think maybe Bronco has a few more than your average car. A GOOD thing in my opinion. Even Doug DeMuro appreciates the value of exposed screw heads in his review of the Jeep XJ (original Cherokee).

The pic is from my 2012 Mazda, the new ones aren't that much different. I'll post a pic of the other side tomorrow when I can get a shot in the daylight. Its like new! My point is hard plastic isn't all bad. I get it that its not probably what a BMW or Lexus buyer wants, but I think its a great fit in the Bronco. Just my opinion.

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Doug Demuro is the kind of guy that 'would' appreciate exposed screw heads in his automobile dash...
I think everyone would be much better drivers or dead (same difference), if they still had metal dashes that were stamped into the cowl, full steel 'I' beam frames, no crumple zones and wooden spoke wheels... But the government went and got itself concerned with saving lives while shipping young men off to foreign lands to their certain deaths...
I said MARK IT ZERO!
Sponsored