First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I remember tests of a similar product a few years ago. An engine would run on it, just not very well. Definitely emergency use only.
Sponsored

Huey22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Base

deejay08

Badlands
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My question wasn't if someone could tell me if I need to bring extra gas on the trail. It was to learn what the cheapest means of bringing a specific amount (4-5 gallons) would be.

The problem is that while I know what kind of gas mileage I get day-to-day, I have no idea what kind of gas mileage to expect when off-roading, especially different types. I assume rock crawling would be the worst MPG. But is it 2 MPG less? 35% less? I can't know what I need if I can't calculate what I'm going to use.

Of course, I would start with a full tank, and if I ever got close to 1/2, I'd need to decide if I need to turn around or I can complete the trail. This is where the extra gas comes in. It's cheap insurance. But only if it's cheap. I don't see I high likelihood of needing it, so it's not worth $250.
How many trails have you been on and run? Most trails you do not need extra fuel, it really comes in handier for longer off grid trips as a safety measure. You're more likely to need additional water vs. fuel

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's been a few months. How do you like them? Pros? Cons?
No complaints. It carried 2.6 gallons to Moab and back without incident. I never got below half a tank so I never got around to using any gas from it, but it's going to fill my mower up tonight.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I use the Rockslide Engineering option. It comes with two “mounts”. This enables you to carry shit strapped to your spare tire. Yes, the rotopax containers and mounts that attach to it are expensive, but the can is pretty heavy duty. The best part is that you can take it all off in seconds, so that you don’t look like an idiot driving around in metro traffic with your cool off-road stuff.

OP
OP
timhood

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How many trails have you been on and run? Most trails you do not need extra fuel, it really comes in handier for longer off grid trips as a safety measure. You're more likely to need additional water vs. fuel
I haven't been close to running out of fuel as yet. But, I haven't done any all-day treks yet, either. Half-day is about as long as we've gone out, and we've always started with a fuel-up.

When I get to a full-day trip, I think strapping a flat tank to the roof rack will be an economical insurance plan. Even then, I think it will depend on the specific trip planned and how near or far fuel is available from the trail.
Sponsored