Check Engine Light (misfire & injector)

BroncoRob_Reignited

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 m240i Convertible, 2021 Bronco (pending)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Has anyone had any faults pop up for a misfire and ignition on the ford pass app (check engine light flashing on dash)? It randomly started idling very rough (about 500rpm) and was not smooth at all. I took it straight to the dealer. I've only had the Bronco about a week and it has about 550 miles; I installed a K&N intake at about 200 miles. [This is different from the other check engine light I commented on previously] Post in thread 'K&N Intake - Service Engine Warning Light' https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/k-n-intake-service-engine-warning-light.50835/post-1534378

The dealer is saying it could be caused by the K&N air intake I installed, which just seems insane to me. I've put over 250 miles on it with the K&N without an issue and, from what I can tell, K&N has sold hundreds, if not a few thousand, of these K&N air intakes without anyone else reporting engine codes...

I know the dealer is always going to push for Ford only shit, but to say that the K&N air intake somehow causes a misfire or the fuel injection system to fail just seems crazy...

Needless to say, they're going to try a few things first but might end up reinstalling the original air intake and see if the codes go away.

Will keep you-all posted. I'm hoping it's just a bum injector... Then again, I've also had a couple codes pop and clear in the past associated with the drive train and loss of commo with a module, including ABS... I haven't messed with anything but the darn K&N air intake.

I'm beginning to wonder if Ford cut some corners with the the replacement ic chip modules they made during the great chip shortage of January 2022...

https://hackaday.com/2022/08/13/the-chip-shortage-leads-to-the-strangest-things/
Sponsored

Last edited:

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Has anyone had any faults pop up for a misfire and ignition on the ford pass app (check engine light flashing on dash)? It randomly started idling very rough (about 500rpm) and was not smooth at all. I took it straight to the dealer. I've only had the Bronco about a week and it has about 550 miles; I installed a K&N intake at about 200 miles. [This is different from the other check engine light I commented on previously] Post in thread 'K&N Intake - Service Engine Warning Light' https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/k-n-intake-service-engine-warning-light.50835/post-1534378

The dealer is saying it could be caused by the K&N air intake I installed, which just seems insane to me. I've put over 250 miles on it with the K&N without an issue and, from what I can tell, K&N has sold hundreds, if not a few thousand, of these K&N air intakes without anyone else reporting engine codes...

I know the dealer is always going to push for Ford only shit, but to say that the K&N air intake somehow causes a misfire or the fuel injection system to fail just seems crazy...

Needless to say, they're going to try a few things first but might end up reinstalling the original air intake and see if the codes go away.

Will keep you-all posted. I'm hoping it's just a bum injector... Then again, I've also had a couple codes pop and clear in the past associated with the drive train and loss of commo with a module, including ABS... I haven't messed with anything but the darn K&N air intake.

I'm beginning to wonder if Ford cut some corners with the the replacement ic chip modules they made during the great chip shortage of January 2022...

https://hackaday.com/2022/08/13/the-chip-shortage-leads-to-the-strangest-things/
Yah I would just reinstall the stock intake and IF it works than keep it on. If it doesn't fix the problem put it back on and contact Ford warranty. If it does fix the problem, contact K & N and ask for a warranty return.

BigTex

First Edition
First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mini CooperS Convertible, 2022 F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

My brother had this happen and was due to low octane (85) he used in Colorado.

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
K&N filters are typically oiled so maybe oil particles are fowling things up?

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
My brother had this happen and was due to low octane (85) he used in Colorado.
Was that an accident or oversight because 87 and 91 octane are readily available in Colorado and I believe the minimum octane recommended for both Bronco engines is 87?

Sponsored
OP
OP
BroncoRob_Reignited

BroncoRob_Reignited

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Was that an accident or oversight because 87 and 91 octane are readily available in Colorado and I believe the minimum octane recommended for both Bronco engines is 87?
Ya, great question. I'm fairly certain I put in 87. I'm in GA and the minimum is 87 in the state, so it should be at least that. To be honest, I had ran premium for about 400 miles to see what the mpg would be, reset the trip 1 at 200 with the K&N and see what the change was. Then I switched to low octane for the next 200 miles. I was about 1/4 the way through the lower octane fuel when lights went crazy.

It could be the fuel but I doubt it... I'm waiting to see what the dealer comes back with, but if they say it's the K&N, it's gonna get interesting...

My last fillup was actually across the street from the dealer - so it's all documented and traceable what I've put in that car since I purchased it new. I probably got lucky in that regard... I have a few gopros I keep powered up and installed and on continous record w/ wifi upload to my GDrive around the Bronco for a channel I'm making. One at the dash, two in the engine, one at the driver, two at the suspension (Front and rear), and a couple others... I never imagined they would be useful for something as stupid as this - although I had hoped it would help me out of a speeding ticket someday...

Reactions: 0ne

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ya, great question. I'm fairly certain I put in 87. I'm in GA and the minimum is 87 in the state, so it should be at least that. To be honest, I had ran premium for about 400 miles to see what the mpg would be, reset the trip 1 at 200 with the K&N and see what the change was. Then I switched to low octane for the next 200 miles. I was about 1/4 the way through the lower octane fuel when lights went crazy.

It could be the fuel but I doubt it... I'm waiting to see what the dealer comes back with, but if they say it's the K&N, it's gonna get interesting...

My last fillup was actually across the street from the dealer - so it's all documented and traceable what I've put in that car since I purchased it new. I probably got lucky in that regard... I have a few gopros I keep powered up and installed and on continous record w/ wifi upload to my GDrive around the Bronco for a channel I'm making. One at the dash, two in the engine, one at the driver, two at the suspension (Front and rear), and a couple others... I never imagined they would be useful for something as stupid as this - although I had hoped it would help me out of a speeding ticket someday...
CYA! Cover your ass! Thanks for your detailed reply, I’ve had this suspicion since I took delivery of mine that it’s very sensitive to any drivetrain modifications and prefers only the best/highest octane fuel. These Broncos are monitoring everything and reporting back to mother Ford constantly which I’m sure is happening whether an owner has the connectivity options enabled or not. I also still think that the oiled K&N filter is maybe fowling something sensitive with microscopic aerosolized oil particles. If the K&N is a full intake system maybe try putting a dry filter in while keeping the rest of the K&N parts installed?

OP
OP
BroncoRob_Reignited

BroncoRob_Reignited

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got the bronco back; after testing, the dealer said it had nothing to do with the K&N. They reinstalled the K&N and ordered the replacement injector. All is well and right in the world and it was covered under warranty.

I have a few theories - it could be that the injector is within the bathtub curve of failure of all new products or it could be due to the Bronco sitting in Ice/Dirt Mountain for nearly 8-months without moving or any preventative maintenance from winter, through fall, and into summer... After pushing hard on the throttle and my 12.5gpm average over 500-ish miles, there's no telling. I would have expected the latter to show up earlier rather in mileage, but then again maybe it was "working" easier and better with the higher octane fuel I was running and, when I switched to the min allowable within the threshold of the design of the fuel injection system, that it caused a failure. I'll never know, but maybe this will put to ease anyone else that: a) has the same issue; b) is worried the K&N will cause issues (it wont, it's an awesome piece of hardware); or c) has the dealer tell them that the K&N throws codes on a Bronco - those are lies and I have the proof. PM me and I'll send you my dealer's info - they can call each other and compare notes (my dealer actually reinstalled the OEM I had to hand-carry back, agreeing to pay them for the labor if the codes went away after re-installing). Maybe your dealer can get appropriately calibrated the easy way.
Sponsored