First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Check engine light came on my 2022 Bronco Wildtrak 2.7 @ 3700 miles. Took it to dealer and code PO111 pop up They said it’s my after market K&N air intake I installed and they can’t do anything about it. I install it 3000 miles ago. I check everything and
Tighten a few loose bolts on it. Is it okay to keep driving it that way or how do I remove check engine light.
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah... codes P0111 - P0114 is related to the air intake sensor.

A dealer could look at it and attempt a repair, but since you have an aftermarket intake it wouldn't be covered by warranty.

Try to unplug and replug in the air intake sensor, and make sure it is seated properly. Clear the codes and see if it returns. If it does, you may have a bad air intake sensor. Pull the air intake sensor and test it with a multimeter, if the resistance is extremely high then it's probably a bad sensor.

You can continue to drive the Bronco, but be easy on it. If the sensor is giving the ECU bad readings then your Bronco probably won't run well. It needs to know the air temperature to apply the correct air/fuel mixture.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

To remove the check engine light, remove the aftermarket intake.

Then email K&N. I'm sure they'll be interested to know which code it threw.

HighVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Scrambler, Ferrari 458
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Throw that stupid filter away.

K&N is well aware, they don't care because people keep buying them. They've been causing problems like this for decades now.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Throw that stupid filter away.

K&N is well aware, they don't care because people keep buying them. They've been causing problems like this for decades now.
Yeah oiled filters are garbage. I put them on my cars as a teenager because I knew I wouldn't keep them long (you don't expect a $500 car to last forever). As an adult I recognize that the gains are minimal or non-existent, and the poor filtration can trash an engine, especially one that sees a lot of dust as Broncos should.

Sponsored
OP
OP

ET area 51

Wildtrak
First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks I will try it. By the way how do I clear the code ??

OP
OP

ET area 51

Wildtrak
First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
To remove the check engine light, remove the aftermarket intake.

Thank you I’m going to email K and N

CFALevelFore

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Check engine light came on my 2022 Bronco Wildtrak 2.7 @ 3700 miles. Took it to dealer and code PO111 pop up They said it’s my after market K&N air intake I installed and they can’t do anything about it. I install it 3000 miles ago. I check everything and
Tighten a few loose bolts on it. Is it okay to keep driving it that way or how do I remove check engine light.
Same thing happened to me, I installed the K&N CAI @ 1500 miles in my 2023 outer banks and the check engine light immediately came on with the same code, P0111. I used an instructional video to install it and a very important step was missed. This step is included on the printed K&N instructions though.

The blue O-ring on the air charge temp sensor has to be removed, it won’t fit in the K&N intake tube without it being removed. It’s still a tight fit, but I took the o-ring off, cleared my codes, and have driven 1000 miles light/code free.

Hopefully this helps, I’ve included a picture of the O-ring and the respective sensor.

Ford Bronco Check engine light PO111 for 2.7 IMG_1350

Sardine

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Elantra N - 6 speed & 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah oiled filters are garbage. I put them on my cars as a teenager because I knew I wouldn't keep them long (you don't expect a $500 car to last forever). As an adult I recognize that the gains are minimal or non-existent, and the poor filtration can trash an engine, especially one that sees a lot of dust as Broncos should.
Yup! People don't get that the only reason they flow better and give you "gains" is because they literally filter less.

You're crazy if you use these in the desert.

OP
OP

ET area 51

Wildtrak
First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Same thing happened to me, I installed the K&N CAI @ 1500 miles in my 2023 outer banks and the check engine light immediately came on with the same code, P0111. I used an instructional video to install it and a very important step was missed. This step is included on the printed K&N instructions though.

The blue O-ring on the air charge temp sensor has to be removed, it won’t fit in the K&N intake tube without it being removed. It’s still a tight fit, but I took the o-ring off, cleared my codes, and have driven 1000 miles light/code free.

Hopefully this helps, I’ve included a picture of the O-ring and the respective sensor.

Ford Bronco Check engine light PO111 for 2.7 IMG_1350
Thanks I’m going to check it out
Sponsored