First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 OBX 4-door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
At about 7,200 miles on my 2021 Big Bend. The light came on last night. Gas door is closed, I jiggled the spring-loaded flap a few times, everything seems to be in place. Called my dealer this morning — they say Quick Lane can't look at a check-engine light, and the next available service appointment is in January. I just ordered an obd2 scanner to see if I can at least figure out what the code is, but any thoughts re: continuing to drive until then? Really seems wild to me that I can't get service at the dealer until January...really devalues any warranty or extended coverage.
Sponsored

SunnDogg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, 1976 Bronco & 1969 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Would need the actual trouble code(s) before anyone can offer any guidance. Can either wait for your scanner to come in or if you are comfortable driving it, AutoZone and others typically offer free OBD diagnostic scanning.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I had check engine light come on driving away from the dealer! No one could look at it, but all assured me that if the light isn't flashing, you're ok to go. Mine turned out to be a loose sensor.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
It really sucks that your dealer is so backed up. Maybe try a different dealer? Or I assume they are too far away to drive? Your dealer should find a way to accommodate you one way or another.

Sponsored

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
What does your oil status show? There are many car parts places that will read your codes for you.

OP
OP
AmericanYidiot

AmericanYidiot

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 OBX 4-door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks all. @flip was kind enough to check my VHR, and my cheapo OBD scanner arrived from Amazon. It's an evap emission system leak detected ("very small leak"). I checked around at other dealers in the region and should be able to get in next week; I guess my usual go-to is just super backed up. And worst-case, there's always a non-Ford auto shop.

GT500

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yup, I get CELs, dealer is always 3-4 weeks for an appointment. By the time they can look at it they can't find any codes. I'm not bringing it in unless it won't move at this point.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks all. @flip was kind enough to check my VHR, and my cheapo OBD scanner arrived from Amazon. It's an evap emission system leak detected ("very small leak"). I checked around at other dealers in the region and should be able to get in next week; I guess my usual go-to is just super backed up. And worst-case, there's always a non-Ford auto shop.
P2282 ??

Mine did that over the summer. Not really sure what triggered it. The next morning I checked the torque on the throttle body bolts and they were fine. Slightly tightened the hose clamp. Cleared the code using OBD Link and it never came back.

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Forscan is the best scanner and diagnostic tool and cost very little to get started. It reads data and is the closest thing to Ford IDIS. It reads all modules. When I took delivery I heard weird AC motor activity under the passenger dash, just cycling the key on and off. I was like a sound a door makes when it’s “hunting” for the proper position. When I got home I threw it on Forscan and got AC recirculation motor fault. No CEL because it isn’t a system critical component fault. Scheduled service, told the service advisor the code. After they take my bronco back my service advisor comes out and the tech can’t get the door to make the same sound and wants me to come in the shop and show him. The tech and I get in, close the door, and he tells me the same. I said did you scan it? I’m telling you the recirculation motor has a fault code and called out the code to him. He had this look on his face and asked, you have a scan tool that will read IDIS information? I said yes. He said what’s the name of it and I responded Forscan. He didn’t act like he had ever heard of it but then agreed it had a fault. They ordered a new motor as it was called out in their parts diagram, came in a week later, and it wasn’t the same motor. He then took out the motor, ordered another based on the number on the motor. A week later it came in, was good to go. No problems or weird noises since. Luckily this motor was an easy change only requiring removal of the glove box. Additionally, you get all the benefits of Forscan module changes. Win win.
Sponsored