Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, 2019 BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi all,

I live in Minnesota and have a soft top. Surprising it exceeds all of my expectations for performing in the winter with the exception of one area...

The plastic windows get a ton of road grime on them and when I've cleaned them with cleaner and a towel it create small scratches/swirls when cleaning. Anyone have a technique to clean these plastic windows WITHOUT damaging them? Would love your advice.
Sponsored

jayr1959

Big Bend
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep JK 2DR 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
OP
OP
Tdub0527

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So just spray this on the winter grime window and wipe like normal? Think that would keep it from scratching? I'll give it a try if you think it'll help!

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just hose off with water and use a completely soaked terry towel to wipe from bottom to top. Dont wipe top to bottom as that just moves the grime downward to your next swipe, damaging the plastic.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So just spray this on the winter grime window and wipe like normal? Think that would keep it from scratching? I'll give it a try if you think it'll help!
No. it is a polish for after cleaning.
Always wash off what you can at the car wash, meaning the salts and heavy grime.
What should be left is just the stains/dull areas where grime was.
Spray some glass cleaner liberally on it and use a microfiber GENTLY to clean it.
Repeat.
The once it is dry, use the Plexus or Meguiars plastic polish or equivalent again GENTLY, wipe off gently with a clean microfiber like you would any wax. Repeat if needed.
Never, ever dry wipe, never ever try and clean them with actual abrasive grime on them. You'll just work the abrasives into the surface and haze them up.
I wax mine when done to help the water bead off better. Just personal preference.

Sponsored

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi all,

I live in Minnesota and have a soft top. Surprising it exceeds all of my expectations for performing in the winter with the exception of one area...

The plastic windows get a ton of road grime on them and when I've cleaned them with cleaner and a towel it create small scratches/swirls when cleaning. Anyone have a technique to clean these plastic windows WITHOUT damaging them? Would love your advice.
As a former detailer, I've done this countless times on both cars and plastic boat windows. You must use plenty of water and good car soap with a very clean and frequently turned microfiber. Even if you don't plan to wash the entire car, you need to treat these windows as though you plan to wash the entire car. At this point, a plexus product can polish them back up. I'd start with a thorough cleaning as described, then a quick clay bar using a clean bucket of car wash soap solution, and then hand polish, being sure to turn the cloth frequently. Protect with 303 Aerospace clear vinyl as a last step about every six months.

OP
OP
Tdub0527

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great advice everyone! I think I’ll have to get out to a self serve car wash because my water is off for the winter! Thanks for the help.

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine gets beach side salt and grime. I clean with mitt and car soap with superb properties after a good rinse. No cheap crap. I dry with a leaf blower, then a Griots towel. Followed by Griots 3 in 1 ceramic spray wax. Actually on entire exterior. My windows look great.

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great advice everyone! I think I’ll have to get out to a self serve car wash because my water is off for the winter! Thanks for the help.
I added a hose bib to my garage because I am crazy about rinsing salt, and I live in the land of brined roads at the mere mention of snow. It's worth every penny when you get that salt-dense grey bulge hanging off the flaps rinsed before you put your ride away. I garage park, and that crap is unwelcome. I added a side mount flush reel and 50' of hose. That hose bib has never been winterized in 19 years. It was tapped from a laundry sink on the other side of the garage wall. Total DIY cost of about $20 to add the bib and another $100 for hose and reel. If you've got water nearby, do it. Your soft top will thank you.

BroncoA512021

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Water and PLEXUS Only! Do not wipe off dirt and grime - let the water take it off gently. When use Plexus.
Sponsored