Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

But you don't have a metal bash plate that can even mount a winch or the fairlead. The RC is two pieces underneath; the winch cradle mount and then the fairlead skid forward of that.

I used a cordless reciprocating saw with the Torch 9" blade by Milwaukee--good blade made easy work. Just cut the lower 3 sides of each and wiggle up and down to break the top side.

Once off, it is pretty clear they serve no functional purpose.
I’ve actually seen folks use their shelf and cut a hole for the fairlead. But I doubt id do that.
Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve actually seen folks use their shelf and cut a hole for the fairlead. But I doubt id do that.
Not sure how that'd work. The winch cradle is aft of the RC skid plate and it takes both to make up the coverage of the stock Badlands plate. The fairlead would be angled down or they'd have to beat it up to avoid that... seems like a ridiculous hassle.

Stock (2-Section):
__.___>
oil . bash
RC (3-Section):
__.__._/
oil .winch cradle.fairlead bash

Maybe I'm missing something but I'll see if I have a pic from underneath.

Ford Bronco Clearance after installing winch? 20230518_210003

Bellime

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

As for the tabs (frames stubs) after cutting them off with a saws all, I went a steps further and cleaned the leftover metal off the frame using an air chisel then painted.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As for the tabs (frames stubs) after cutting them off with a saws all, I went a steps further and cleaned the leftover metal off the frame using an air chisel then painted.
I was able to cut really close and had a max of about 1/8" sticking out at any point. The clearance needed for my Smittybilt, which seems much larger than the RC, they say it's designed for, was not an issue. I painted with a couple coats of Rustoleum and called it good for a year or so before I check on it.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Another thing that may be related to the spacers that go behind the front modular bumper:

Ford Bronco Clearance after installing winch? 20230527_103123

I don't know if it's directly related to the larger gap there or not, but it is on both sides and I don't remember it getting dirty like this before.

Sponsored

ManSquatch

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Bronco, 17' F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't feel it really lowered anything by an appreciable amount.

Smittybilt X20 Gen3 12K winch w/Bluetooth fit just fine. I got that so I don't have to use a corded remote. I just flick the upfitter switch to the solenoid and the winch is energized (Bluetooth receiver switch always set to on) and I just turn on the remote I keep in the center console and it's glorious.
Not sure if this is a stupid question but can the winch be destroyed by deep puddles? I know the power switch would be off but are the electronics water proof? I hate the way the traditional winch mounts look so I was contemplating this on my badlands.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure if this is a stupid question but can the winch be destroyed by deep puddles? I know the power switch would be off but are the electronics water proof? I hate the way the traditional winch mounts look so I was contemplating this on my badlands.
The Smittybilt winch is waterproof to an IP68 rating.

Ford Bronco Clearance after installing winch? Screenshot_20230629_142626_Chrome
Sponsored