Sponsored

Installing a winch electrical considerations?

LanceIto

Raptor
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Anyone using a quick disconnect? I was thinking about removing the winch completely to minimize wear due to UV and road salt. This would solve parasitic draw too.
Sponsored

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Anyone using a quick disconnect? I was thinking about removing the winch completely to minimize wear due to UV and road salt. This would solve parasitic draw too.
I did the belt and suspenders method on mine, switch and disconnect. The bonus is my jumper cables hook into the quick disconnect. Flaming River makes good switches.
20230715_104904.jpg
20230715_104856.jpg

LanceIto

Raptor
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Sorry I must have scrolled right by that. My bad. Question? Why both a disconnect and switch? Meaning to a dip sh!t like me is there benefits to having both. Also I am thinking disconnect in the winch side of the switch so I can easily remove the winch if necessary.

cynicalrider

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First gen taco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sorry I must have scrolled right by that. My bad. Question? Why both a disconnect and switch? Meaning to a dip sh!t like me is there benefits to having both. Also I am thinking disconnect in the winch side of the switch so I can easily remove the winch if necessary.
How often are you removing the winch though? Not exactly an easy throw on/throw off setup unless you are doing a hitch mounted cradle.

I get annoyed just moving my morrflate kit between two trucks and got a second snatch strap to keep in this truck full time. There will be a time where you don't feel like putting the winch on, go out and then regret it. It's Murphy's law.

RollEmUp

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I used this tied in to an aux switch.
Ditto. Figured if I’m in a position where I need my winch, I may not be in the best position to pop the hood and make any connections. Aux to Warn 62132 Solenoid to winch. Use any aux switch you like 👍

Sponsored

LanceIto

Raptor
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I have the RC high mount. I think the 4 winch mounting bolts are easily accessed. I live in region with bad winter and mag chloride. I was considering taking the winch off if I dont have a trip planned for a month or so. But I guess the reality is I would just leave it on.

nottinbe

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Bodge Garage

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did a switch and disconnect because my jumper cables are set up with the connector already so they just plug in. I leave the connector hooked up for daily driving but flip the switch off. Just a preference I guess.

Sponsored

Richterman

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, Superduty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't know. i have a EVO 12 and the max current is 400amps, so i went 500 on the fuse

Bronco1010

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the info! I have a warn evo 10s. Warn's specs say it runs at 358 amps at 10,000lbs.

That being said, in you more experienced opinion, would a 400 amp mega be enough or will I need to trial by error?

cynicalrider

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First gen taco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks for the info! I have a warn evo 10s. Warn's specs say it runs at 358 amps at 10,000lbs.

That being said, in you more experienced opinion, would a 400 amp mega be enough or will I need to trial by error?
Yeah that should be fine just carry a spare just in case either way.
Sponsored