First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If you have enough room, just splice the sides back together and don’t worry about ordering the new pigtail. I would fix that black/violet wire also.
It was just difficult for me to see how bad it was from the first picture.
Will do boss! Do you recommend taping it or give it the same treatment as the blue one?
Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Dlars99

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Don't just twist them together and tape. If possible solder the wires and use heat shrink tubing to insulate the repair. If you can't solder, use butt connectors and use heat shrink to insulate. Super easy repair. If you can't find the repair connector, you have enough wire with the damaged part to repair and reuse it.
You can also get butt connectors that have solder in them may hold up a little better.

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As a boat owner who‘s wired a couple of fishing boats, I’d recommend marine grade heat shrink butt connectors. At least that‘s what I’d use. I think they do a better job of sealing the wires and preventing water invasion than traditional butt connectors with heat shrink tubing over the top of that. See link for what I’d use. These have a heat activated adhesive within the shrink tubing that’s part of the butt connector that further secures the shrink tubing to the wire.

https://www.ancorproducts.com/en/p/309103/He-Shrink-Butt-Connect-16-14-3pc#

freetors

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JK Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Just as a small note, don't be afraid to crimp. A good crimp is actually better than a solder joint. Solder joints tend to be brittle and don't hold up long term to vibration. In critical applications you won't see soldered joints at all, they will all be crimped.

Sponsored

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Good thing you figured this out. This would not have been a warranty repair and you would have gotten a big bill.

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Really wish they had a block sheild or and engine cover on these, thanks for the info!
That wouldn't necessarily help things. I had mice make a nice little nest under the cover on my last truck, and they helped themselves to a wiring buffet dinner.

subg

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Base Bronco 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Coil failure is somewhat rare. (not saying it can't happen) However, that code commonly comes up with rodent damage. You may want to check under the hood and just verify there are no wires chewed.
Nice detective work!

My rear O2 went out at 5000 miles, any leads, lol. Funny thing was one of the guys at work said your tail pipe looks awfully black the week before.

I had to wait 3 days for the part.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Nice detective work!

My rear O2 went out at 5000 miles, any leads, lol. Funny thing was one of the guys at work said your tail pipe looks awfully black the week before.

I had to wait 3 days for the part.
Likely just a regular part failure. Those aren’t very common either, especially with only 5000 miles.

TurkeyRun

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, '02 F-350, 21 Expy, 4 Harleys and a BMW GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We have a 2021 Expedition with the 3.5L Twin Turbo.

It has been towed into the dealer twice for coils. Once on #5 and once on #6 so, technically not the same failure. Always diagnosed and fixed same day.

I let Ford know that if this happens again, we'd be "exploring compensation options". Got a nice email back about being a "valued customer".

Hasn't happened since so, <shrug>

I just really don't get the "not until October" thing. That seems excessive.

Sponsored

Blackcat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD BRONCO BASE 2 DOOR M/T
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Can’t speak to the Bronco, but I changed a few coil packs in my high mileage 2001 F150 and I’m not the most mechanically gifted person. It most definitely is a let down to have to do so at 8k miles, sorry OP.

Mr Bacon Jr

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bison ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I put this stuff in the engine bay- helps keep mice out. And Bobcat Urine is pretty magic as well; used int in my FJ40.
Ford Bronco Coil failure 8k miles in. IMG_7185

OP
OP

Cold summers

Big Bend
First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
That wouldn't necessarily help things. I had mice make a nice little nest under the cover on my last truck, and they helped themselves to a wiring buffet dinner.
I think it would keep the squirrels out at least

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think it would keep the squirrels out at least
Having seen them get into small openings in house siding, I can't see that being any form of deterrent - apart from maybe directing them to chew a different harness underhood instead of the one going to your coil pack.

OP
OP

Cold summers

Big Bend
First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Having seen them get into small openings in house siding, I can't see that being any form of deterrent - apart from maybe directing them to chew a different harness underhood instead of the one going to your coil pack.
How would they get passed the under sheild? I haven't had this happen to any of my cars prior and they all had them installed, so far bronco is the only car i have gotten without and engine cover and block sheild
Sponsored