Sponsored

Front Coil Spring Strut assembly issues?

Saltlife4shore

Big Bend
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Long story short. Got my bronco, had 2" rough country level lift installed. Got home noticed excessive spring bow. Coil Spring not seated correctly on the spring perch, both front coilovers. Called install center, they said they never disassembled strut, no need to. I could not observe any signs that would show otherwise. So my question is do you think this was assembled incorrectly at the factory. Take note to the green dry pen, on the spring perch, how could they have inspected that and placed the green mark where the coil Spring end is supposed to sit?? Check your struts see if yours are like mine.
Ford Bronco Front Coil Spring Strut assembly issues? IMG_20220304_185443
Ford Bronco Front Coil Spring Strut assembly issues? IMG_20220304_185602
Ford Bronco Front Coil Spring Strut assembly issues? IMG_20220304_190954
Sponsored

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure but I wouldnā€™t think ford would assemble the struts in house, Iā€™d bet they come pre-assembled.

Keerplunk

Big Bend
First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep JKU, 2022 Cyber Orange 4Dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I think your springs are rotated, the bottom wind of the spring should be in that small pocket on the lower perch. I am assuming the top is misaligned as well

Keerplunk

Big Bend
First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep JKU, 2022 Cyber Orange 4Dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Looking at it up close and I am sure your spring is not seated correctly as well as there is damage to that lower perch it seems (Notice the exposed metal)

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The end should be seated in the notch. What kind of technician would have taken those off to put the spacers on and not noticed and informed you? This is why I do my own work. IF it was like that from the factory, the person installing the spacer should have seen it and notified you immediately. Or, more likely the person installing the spacer did it and doesn't want to admit to it. I doubt they came that way from the factory.

But in short, yes, the end goes in the notch of the perch.

To install the spacers, they removed your coilovers. They most certainly would have noticed if there was a problem. They probably stuck the coilovers in a vice while bolting on the top spacers and rotated each spring inadvertently. How they didn't notice it when reinstalling them is beyond me.

It looks to me the ends used to be in the notch. What kind of shop did the work for you? I'm going with shoddy work by the spacer installers. And how about that piece torn out of the rubber on top of the perch? Don't blame this one on Ford.

Ford Bronco Front Coil Spring Strut assembly issues? IMG_20220304_190954 (2)

Most likely the spacer did not match up with the bolt holes when they installed the coilovers. Once the bottom bolts are in the lower control arms, they probably twisted the coils to make the spacer line up. If you look at the offset on the spacer, the whole coil including the perch has to be rotated for the new bolts to line up on the top. My guess is they didn't do that until they had the lower mounts in the control arm and just twisted on the coils.

Last edited:

Cybindustries1904

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Raptor, Mach E GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The end should be seated in the notch. What kind of technician would have taken those off to put the spacers on and not noticed and informed you? This is why I do my own work. IF it was like that from the factory, the person installing the spacer should have seen it and notified you immediately. Or, more likely the person installing the spacer did it and doesn't want to admit to it. I doubt they came that way from the factory.

But in short, yes, the end goes in the notch of the perch.

To install the spacers, they removed your coilovers. They most certainly would have noticed if there was a problem. They probably stuck the coilovers in a vice while bolting on the top spacers and rotated each spring inadvertently. How they didn't notice it when reinstalling them is beyond me.

It looks to me the ends used to be in the notch. What kind of shop did the work for you? I'm going with shoddy work by the spacer installers. And how about that piece torn out of the rubber on top of the perch? Don't blame this one on Ford.

Ford Bronco Front Coil Spring Strut assembly issues? IMG_20220304_190954 (2)

Most likely the spacer did not match up with the bolt holes when they installed the coilovers. Once the bottom bolts are in the lower control arms, they probably twisted the coils to make the spacer line up. If you look at the offset on the spacer, the whole coil including the perch has to be rotated for the new bolts to line up on the top. My guess is they didn't do that until they had the lower mounts in the control arm and just twisted on the coils.
That is exactly what they did the spacers casue the top strut bolts to be 180 off. so they rotated the the lower mount trying to line up the three top bolts.

H - 2 CHARLIE

Wildtrak
First Name
CHARLIE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F 150 - E 350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Who did the installation ?
This will prevent others of poor workmanship there .

Last edited:

Evolkidbell

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 2013 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Your installer might have compressed the coils to make the install easier and twisted for alignment. Iā€™m certain it didnā€™t come from the factory like that.

OP
OP
Saltlife4shore

Saltlife4shore

Big Bend
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm sure they said screw it and slapped it back together. They didn't even use the supplied lower strut mounting bolts from RC. They kept the stock ones in, probably couldn't get them out. I know what I'm going to be doing the first half of Sunday morning.

BroncoDude

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F-150 3.5EB, 2021 2DR Base 2.7L Auto
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ford Bronco Front Coil Spring Strut assembly issues? 83E484C8-2F3C-42AB-A986-1A3D941CE099
Sponsored