John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I installed the Redline version, see video below.

I have never felt like closing the hood with the Redline installed imparts any significant pressure on the hood, and never sensed that there was any danger of bending anything. But you are right, time will be the ultimate test, not just one guy.

I will say the one thing I do not like about it, is that without any strut installed, the hood will properly latch when you drop it from about 6-12" from the latch. With the strut installed, dropping it does not latch. You have to physically push it down hard from 6-12".

MRT is the same, requires a good slam down to latch shut. However, my 2.7 hood required a gentle slam BEFORE I installed the MRT struts.
Sponsored

Seatmandan

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, '11 Ford Edge, '10 Ford Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
There are hoods that are engineered and designed to be held up at the cowl rear corners, and there are hoods that are not. This is an example of a hood that is not. No way in hell would I ever install anything that didn’t use the prop rod to bear the load of this hood. high probability of deformed/dented corners to anyone who uses this-

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

2021 and the reason for the prop rod is cheap,reliable,does stress lightweight panels .
I always have the feeling the hood is going to blow up in the wind and cut my fingers off . Totally unwarranted fear but I don't like umbrellas either.

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There are hoods that are engineered and designed to be held up at the cowl rear corners, and there are hoods that are not. This is an example of a hood that is not. No way in hell would I ever install anything that didn’t use the prop rod to bear the load of this hood. high probability of deformed/dented corners to anyone who uses this-
Well, that's certainly the safest approach! And if you don't feel comfortable with it, you shouldn't do this. Personally, I'm glad we're doing this experiment for the benefit of Bronco owners, and we'll see how this modification holds up in the months ahead.

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Well if you want further benchmarking, the upcoming Raptor will have factory struts for the hood and they're attached similar to how Redline does it and that hood is slightly heavier (heat extractor) but overall the exact same stamping.
I'm not worried about my hood at all. Redline is a good system. this other is probably too. The hood is super light.
Well, that's certainly the safest approach! And if you don't feel comfortable with it, you shouldn't do this. Personally, I'm glad we're doing this experiment for the benefit of Bronco owners, and we'll see how this modification holds up in the months ahead.
Yeah, I'm not gonna bend my own hood . Not my first rodeo. The struts are a very nice upgrade.

Sponsored
OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

From a simple geometry standpoint the Redline Tuning system is a much better system IMHO. Since their hood mount is further up the hood, they don't need to use as strong of a gas spring. The MRT system has NO leverage since it is lifting very low, close to the hinge, so they have to use a MUCH stronger gas spring. I would think you would want to use the lowest force possible that still lifts the hood to reduce any stress on the hood. If you watch the video on the MRT website, the hood bounces like a diving board once it goes all the way up. :oops: Plus the Redline Tuning system is $99.95 and the MRT one is $137.99?
You could be right, one day we'll get them side by side. Another concern is pressure points on a light-weight hood, with the possibility of bending the hood when pressing down to close. In this regard, the hinge area could be stronger (MRT) than an arbitrary point 1/3 up the hood (Redline). What are your thoughts on that?

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That’s actually a crease for frontal crashes so the hood folds itself like a book instead of being a flat piece of metal that can slice right through a windshield
Fascinating discussion. So the Redline is attached at the precise point that the hood is designed to bend in a crash!? I wish a Ford engineer would weigh in on this so we're all not guessing! One of the new models, eg Raptor, may have a hood strut, will be interesting to see where they put it, if its the same hood!

Last edited:
OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I installed the Redline version, see video below.

I have never felt like closing the hood with the Redline installed imparts any significant pressure on the hood, and never sensed that there was any danger of bending anything. But you are right, time will be the ultimate test, not just one guy.

I will say the one thing I do not like about it, is that without any strut installed, the hood will properly latch when you drop it from about 6-12" from the latch. With the strut installed, dropping it does not latch. You have to physically push it down hard from 6-12".

How is your Redline Strut holding up?

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm not worried about my hood at all. Redline is a good system. this other is probably too. The hood is super light.

Yeah, I'm not gonna bend my own hood . Not my first rodeo. The struts are a very nice upgrade.
Now that the Bronco Raptor is out, Have you seen the strut system, how it is placed, how does it compare to these early aftermarket struts?

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base