Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JKU (Officially Sold), 2015 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Correct, female threads are merely polymer. there doesn’t appear to be any metal reinforcement within the end swivel cap as far as threading goes. If you zoom in on the first pic you can see the plastic within the male style threads
This may actually be designed this way on purpose as this makes a serviceable breakaway point. If this was stronger it would shift the issue to the tailgate panel itself resulting in a more expensive repair. I am in no way shape or form defending Ford's engineering choices, but coming from the Jeep world, I am concerned about the strength of the aluminum tailgate panels and the weight already applied by the spare tire.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DWood

DWood

Black Diamond
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This may actually be designed this way on purpose as this makes a serviceable breakaway point. If this was stronger it would shift the issue to the tailgate panel itself resulting in a more expensive repair. I am in no way shape or form defending Ford's engineering choices, but coming from the Jeep world, I am concerned about the strength of the aluminum tailgate panels and the weight already applied by the spare tire.
Well let’s hope they accounted for that and stocked up on them. However if it breaks away when the vehicle the leaned to the passenger side the area where the hinges are attached to the swing gate will take all that shock loading. Not to mention If there happens to be a hard object before it reaches full opening

Rubicon 2 Badlands

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubicon / 2021 Bronco: Badlands/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well let’s hope they accounted for that and stocked up on them. However if it breaks away when the vehicle the leaned to the passenger side the area where the hinges are attached to the swing gate will take all that shock loading. Not to mention If there happens to be a hard object before it reaches full opening
I like the idea of installing a limiting-strap. Something to look into.

95Bravo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
@DWood , I had the exact same defect and it happened the same way - pulled the tailgate open and the vinyl threads from the strut "head" stripped off. Vinyl threads, @Ford Motor Company , seriously?

I hope your dealer fixed it. But when I called my dealer, they said the part was back-ordered (which I took to mean either (1) this problem is happening a lot, or more likely (2) extra parts are not even available yet).

I emailed Redline Tuning (they make a killer set of hood struts for our Broncos), and sent them pics of the part failure. They make a "head" that is the same size with metal threads!! And fairly priced at $10 for two. I threaded it on, popped it back in place. Good to go!

Here is a link for anyone who might need it in the future: https://www.redlinetuning.com/product-p/72-00006.htm

OP
OP
DWood

DWood

Black Diamond
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@DWood , I had the exact same defect and it happened the same way - pulled the tailgate open and the vinyl threads from the strut "head" stripped off. Vinyl threads, @Ford Motor Company , seriously?

I hope your dealer fixed it. But when I called my dealer, they said the part was back-ordered (which I took to mean either (1) this problem is happening a lot, or more likely (2) extra parts are not even available yet).

I emailed Redline Tuning (they make a killer set of hood struts for our Broncos), and sent them pics of the part failure. They make a "head" that is the same size with metal threads!! And fairly priced at $10 for two. I threaded it on, popped it back in place. Good to go!

Here is a link for anyone who might need it in the future: https://www.redlinetuning.com/product-p/72-00006.htm
Cool thanks and yes dealer replaced it, took about 3/4 weeks for it to come in.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Bookmarked! Metal ends imagine that!

Fonz54

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander, Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes C250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks just ordered a pair to have in my spares box!
Sponsored