Sponsored

Paint issues, window issues, speedometer issues, door handle issues, gear shifting issues, hill assist issues, ugh

Hknight

Base
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I ordered a base 7MT Ford Bronco in Area 51, waited over a year, and was enthralled to take delivery of it earlier in 2023. This is my first new car and the greatest automotive expense I have ever taken on. I knew of quality control issues with the Bronco that I expected would occur with the very early models, but I did not expect this.

Since I have taken delivery of my Bronco:

1. The driver and passenger doors are rubbing against the doorsill and scratching the paint off. It is already to the bare metal. I never took the doors off.

2. I replaced the base wheels with larger outer banks wheels, and no Ford dealers in my area know how to calibrate my speedometer to account for this. FORScan didn't help.

3. The rear quarter window on the MIC hardtop was seated wrong with the window poking out. The dealer had their glass guy fix it, and he actually did a mighty fine job of reseating it.

4. The interior passenger door handle was loose, so the dealer discovered a broken plastic pin and replaced it. Beneath the plastic door panels, they found a large gash in the paint from the factory. They recommended against making a claim for the paint since the car "was so new" and it "couldn't be seen".

5. Shifting to 2nd gear is rough, and hasn't gotten better after 2,000 miles.

6. The auto hill start assist has stalled my car twice and nearly gotten me into an accident, as the car will keep the brakes pressed while the clutch is OFF, leading to a sudden jerk that propels the car forward and causes wheel spin. I park on an incline next to a van and a truck, and cannot see cars going through the parking lot. As you can imagine, I have had some close calls with oncoming cars since I cannot leave the lot slowly. I have since turned off the hill assist.

I know some of my problems can be fixed with my warranty and prevented with PPF, but I did not buy a new car to spend as much time fixing it as an old piece of junk. It has only been a few months. I love the Bronco, but I no longer love Ford.

Here she is, off-roading in the toughest conditions I've ever seen:
Ford Bronco Paint issues, window issues, speedometer issues, door handle issues, gear shifting issues, hill assist issues, ugh thumbnail_20230508_153105
Sponsored

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I had the same issue with passenger door rub. Dealership got it in quickly and addressed it and forked over some touch-up paint

Wanderexplore

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer gts
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sucks, I have an 21 and have had a few 1st gen things come up, but overall have been really happy. I've been hearing about so many more issues popping up in later yrs, but its possible you're in "lemon law" camp. Check state laws and recourse to see if that's a route you should take.

I got a 100k extended warranty, so hoping everything arises before then.

30k miles in now and so far + lots of offroading:
- front seat replaced - marine vinyl cracked
- cowl warped, but found out it was a bad windshield install
- rubbing issues with soft top
- couple recalls, no issues showed up

hope that helps in comparison, good luck!

TonyT

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Big Bend, 1993 F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I ordered a base 7MT Ford Bronco in Area 51, waited over a year, and was enthralled to take delivery of it earlier in 2023. This is my first new car and the greatest automotive expense I have ever taken on. I knew of quality control issues with the Bronco that I expected would occur with the very early models, but I did not expect this.

1. The driver and passenger doors are rubbing against the doorsill and scratching the paint off. It is already to the bare metal. I never took the doors off.

2. I replaced the base wheels with larger outer banks wheels, and no Ford dealers in my area know how to calibrate my speedometer to account for this. FORScan didn't help.

3. The rear quarter window on the MIC hardtop was seated wrong with the window poking out. The dealer had their glass guy fix it, and he actually did a mighty fine job of reseating it.

4. The interior passenger door handle was loose, so the dealer discovered a broken plastic pin and replaced it. Beneath the plastic door panels, they found a large gash in the paint from the factory. They recommended against making a claim for the paint since the car "was so new" and it "couldn't be seen".

6. The auto hill start assist has stalled my car twice and nearly gotten me into an accident, as the car will keep the brakes pressed while the clutch is OFF, leading to a sudden jerk that propels the car forward and causes wheel spin. I park on an incline next to a van and a truck, and cannot see cars going through the parking lot. As you can imagine, I have had some close calls with oncoming cars since I cannot leave the lot slowly. I have since turned off the hill assist.

I know some of my problems can be fixed with my warranty and prevented with PPF, but I did not buy a new car to spend as much time fixing it as an old piece of junk. It has only been a few months. I love the Bronco, but I no longer love Ford.

Ford Bronco Paint issues, window issues, speedometer issues, door handle issues, gear shifting issues, hill assist issues, ugh thumbnail_20230508_153105
My 7mt has always been hard to shift into second also. I just got my Bronco back from the dealer (after 2 months) after getting transmission work done under warranty for the grinding noise problem. 2nd is slightly better now, but now its very difficult to get into first if I'm stopped.

Sponsored

Burro5000

Base
First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda B4000
Your Bronco Model
Base
I had the door rubbing issues too. My dealership used some blind mice to try and repair/realign the rocker panels and door. They caused more damage to my paint and finally after a cumulative 12 weeks of being at the dealer they got it.

I almost wish I just ignored it and went elsewhere when it was really bad haha.

RimrockPaul

Base
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Base

Look just like mine. Too bad you have issues.
My 22 I waited on for 26 months came in perfect. 6k on it with no problems
I haven't tried the hill start thing but I'll give it a shot today.
Good luck
Paul

C.O. Julius

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill Geiger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I feel your pain.

My Bronco has had the same exact paint issue. Dealer fixed the problem once, but it has happened again. Now have to wait a month to get it back in.

Seems to be a bigger problem. Possibly a sealing gasket that is too small? Idk?

Good luck with getting it all repaired

Sponsored

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Get it all fixed under warranty. Sorry you went through this but IMO, it is not the norm. I have a new Bronco and a new Ranger Tremor. They are both near perfection. I have had at least eight other Ford vehicles in my life and they also were excellent quality with (as I recall) zero issues.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
My 7mt has always been hard to shift into second also. I just got my Bronco back from the dealer (after 2 months) after getting transmission work done under warranty for the grinding noise problem. 2nd is slightly better now, but now its very difficult to get into first if I'm stopped.
Sometimes a tendency with a few manuals I have owned in the past- 1st gear is difficult to go into once you are stopped. Try going into first just before you come to a complete stop and it just might go in very smooth. Or try going into second first, then back into first while stopped. In cases where you are in neutral and the light is very long. A couple of my Jeep Wranglers were like this and my last C6 Corvette. Outside of that, no problem at all with those manuals.

Owl

Base
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Wrangler JK, White Bronco Base 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
I guess I'm the 2nd person (then) that put Outerbanks wheels/tires on my Base 2Dr Bronco. I like the way they look.

I got the auto/V6 instead of the manual though. None of the fit-and-finish problems you're having. Mine was a late October 2022 build.

Too bad about the shifting on the manual transmission. I had an 2-door Montero with that problem (still under warranty). It took me two dealers to get the situation resolved. 1st dealer just didn't have the manual-transmission smarts, and made the problem worse. It took the 2nd dealer to fix what the 1st dealer did and solve the problem. I wouldn't be surprised if Ford dealers don't have a lot of experience on Bronco trannys... as they just don't have that many vehicles with manual transmissions in their lineup.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I feel your pain.

My Bronco has had the same exact paint issue. Dealer fixed the problem once, but it has happened again. Now have to wait a month to get it back in.

Seems to be a bigger problem. Possibly a sealing gasket that is too small? Idk?

Good luck with getting it all repaired
Hey, Bill! I can take a closer look into your Bronco paint concerns if you'd like. Can you send us a direct message with your VIN and the dealership name/location?

GoHack

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Had an issue w/my driver's side door rubbing after my christening my Bronco offroad, which wasn't really that harsh a road.
Brought it in, the dealer had me go to their body shop, and they fixed while I stood there and watched. 👍
No more problems since, even after doing much harsher roads. 👍
Sponsored