Sponsored

Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route (COBDR)

BroncoChuck

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am planning a trip to do the COBDR with a bunch of moto friends over a week in Aug. Has anyone taken their Bronco on these trails? Did you air down much? I will be towing my Boreas camper. I've heard/read that the only place that might be rough to tow is the Ophir pass. Any thoughts, ideas, or recommendations would be appreciated!
Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I don't know what a COBDR or Boreas is but: if Ophir is the roughest and a Boreas is considered off roadable you'll be OK. The upper mile of the Ophir side is a bit rough but not bad. The worst part would be meeting someone coming in the opposite direction, it is narrow. If one of your friends leads they can flag on coming traffic.

OP
OP
BroncoChuck

BroncoChuck

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't know what a COBDR or Boreas is but: if Ophir is the roughest and a Boreas is considered off roadable you'll be OK. The upper mile of the Ophir side is a bit rough but not bad. The worst part would be meeting someone coming in the opposite direction, it is narrow. If one of your friends leads they can flag on coming traffic.
Ok, thanks!
On Ophir Pass the switchbacks look to be too sharp for a towed camper to make the turn. What do you think?

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I don't recall really sharp switchbacks, again assuming a small off roadable, single axle trailer. Passing oncoming traffic would be the issue.

Strizzo

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX460, 1966 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Looking at the BDR route (Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route - www.ridebdr.com), Ophir pass isn't the hardest part of the trip. East of there you're going over it looks like hurricane pass and cinnamon pass which I know are more technical than Ophir pass. Ophir is the most maintained route get from Highway 550 to Telluride.

I think the challenge you will have is that on the rough sections, the bikes will be able to cover a lot more ground than you will be able to. You might have to take some highway shortcuts to cut out some of the route to keep up.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looking at the BDR route (Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route - www.ridebdr.com), Ophir pass isn't the hardest part of the trip. East of there you're going over it looks like hurricane pass and cinnamon pass which I know are more technical than Ophir pass. Ophir is the most maintained because it is always kept open so people can get from Highway 550 to Telluride by way of Ophir.

I think the challenge you will have is that on the rough sections, the bikes will be able to cover a lot more ground than you will be able to. You might have to take some highway shortcuts to cut out some of the route to keep up.
TrailsOffroad says Ophir Pass is closed right now, is that false?

Strizzo

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX460, 1966 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sorry, looks like it does get closed in winter, but it is by far the easier of the three options across from silverton/ouray to telluride, the others being black bear and imogene passes.

Bruzer22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am planning a trip to do the COBDR with a bunch of moto friends over a week in Aug. Has anyone taken their Bronco on these trails? Did you air down much? I will be towing my Boreas camper. I've heard/read that the only place that might be rough to tow is the Ophir pass. Any thoughts, ideas, or recommendations would be appreciated!
I had a buddy and his group of moto friends from VA were supposed to do the same this summer. He backed out, as originally, he was going to ship all of the bikes to my place in CO. Anyway, don't have much to add as I haven't done the CBDR myself, just thought it was an interesting coincidence.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Everything is closed now, snow. I'd bet it will be 4th of July til much is open. I didn't know Cinnamon and Hurricane were on your route, They are tougher, although not too bad, than Ophir. So my advice has changed. Probably doable but not enjoyable with a trailer and not before July (check county websites for opening days, I know Ouray County has one, but none of those particular trails are in Ouray county) Try San Juan, Hinsdale and San Miguel Counties. And again, all these roads are mostly one lane wide, passing oncoming traffic will not bee pleasant.

OP
OP
BroncoChuck

BroncoChuck

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Everything is closed now, snow. I'd bet it will be 4th of July til much is open. I didn't know Cinnamon and Hurricane were on your route, They are tougher, although not too bad, than Ophir. So my advice has changed. Probably doable but not enjoyable with a trailer and not before July (check county websites for opening days, I know Ouray County has one, but none of those particular trails are in Ouray county) Try San Juan, Hinsdale and San Miguel Counties. And again, all these roads are mostly one lane wide, passing oncoming traffic will not bee pleasant.
Thanks!
We are going the end if Aug. I might just go around Ophir.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

OK but Ophir is the easiest

E. J

Big Bend
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 SCab 4X4 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Over the past few years, I've ridden quite a bit of the COBDR with my Africa Twin and the former 690 ER. Took the 690 to Engineer; but, I skipped Engineer with the AT. Rode up Ophir from the east and that was easy--the long upgrade from the west could be a challenge during a rain event.

The worst part could be the crowd in the Alpine Loop. Everyone wants a picture at the pass signs and four wheeled vehicles get backed up. With the AT, I could continue between the doors and keep going.

In the north near the Steamboat Springs area, be prepared for mud if it rains.
Sponsored