Sponsored

Could Ford have made the Soft Top "automatic" ?

Ser Arthur Dayne

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So stupid question. I am not at all mechanical or an engineer so I can't figure these types of things out myself...

I am about a week into owning the softtop Wildtrak and very happy with it. It's sweet with the top down. It's not the hardest thing take the 3 rear windows off, a little bit more of an effort to put back on but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

But ... it occurred to me ... could they have made the 3 rear windows glass and have them "retract" into the body? And then perhaps either one of two things- you still have the manually-folding top, but it's just a matter of putting all the windows down, popping the latch, and folding it back - or fully automatic, just push a button.

Obviously this is just a fantastical-type of question, That Ship Has Sailed, I am just curious how that all works. Thanks!
Sponsored

ProdigyJKU

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not neough room for the rear windows to retract back there. Never seen retractable rear glass on and vehicle. On minivans they simply pop open a couple inxhes instead. The body lacks room to store them.

Sponsored

rustedgoat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Base
That will just give them something else to F up.

Something similar to old hard sided pop up campers would be cool. There's just no room in the quarter panel area for windows and tires.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It’s probably possible, but the added weight and complexity would have made removing/installing it for topless driving a nightmare.

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So stupid question. I am not at all mechanical or an engineer so I can't figure these types of things out myself...

I am about a week into owning the softtop Wildtrak and very happy with it. It's sweet with the top down. It's not the hardest thing take the 3 rear windows off, a little bit more of an effort to put back on but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

But ... it occurred to me ... could they have made the 3 rear windows glass and have them "retract" into the body? And then perhaps either one of two things- you still have the manually-folding top, but it's just a matter of putting all the windows down, popping the latch, and folding it back - or fully automatic, just push a button.

Obviously this is just a fantastical-type of question, That Ship Has Sailed, I am just curious how that all works. Thanks!
Probably add another 5k to the sticker price.

OP
OP
Ser Arthur Dayne

Ser Arthur Dayne

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak