First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ranger Long Travel, 2014 Cruze Commuter
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After putting on my Method wheels I, like I’m sure many others, was left with a void around the camera from the aftermarket wheels having a larger hub size. I went looking online to find see if a product existed to solve my issue. I came up empty handed, so I began trying to figure out how I could utilize the spare center cap from my 5th wheel. I found a company called boomerang that made really nice soft and hard spare tire covers that are made in the USA. I noticed on their soft covers they had a piece that surrounded the rear camera very nicely. Upon further investigating they had images of what they called their ”patent pending molded rear camera port” and it looked like it would work perfect. I called them up and ordered over the phone.

www.boomco.com

Ford Bronco Covered the void around camera IMG_3227
Ford Bronco Covered the void around camera IMG_3228

I originally thought the port was 1 piece and was completely molded. When I received the port in the mail I realized it was three pieces. Two pieces are hard plastic and make up the frame and there is a rubber liner that seals it all up nicely.

Ford Bronco Covered the void around camera KIMG0698

Ford Bronco Covered the void around camera KIMG0699

I used a router to cut a somewhat round hole in the cap. Drilled three holes for the stubs on the faceplate. Then had to grind down some of the leftover logo from the center cap so the faceplate would sit flat. It required some grinding on the front and back. I wanted to use a flapper wheel, but they were not accessible at the time so I made do with a cutoff wheel.

Ford Bronco Covered the void around camera KIMG0701

Ford Bronco Covered the void around camera KIMG0702

The rubber liner has ridges on the back that hold tightly on the camera housing so the boomerang covers do not flap in the wind. The camera housing starts to get larger the further you go back, so I was left with a choice. I could either cut the ridges off the rubber liner so it didn’t fit as tightly. Or I could cut part of the rear plastic housing off allowing the rubber to flare out at the ridged section. I actually chose to do neither option currently and tried it out with no rubber liner installed. I wanted to see how it fit and once I snapped the cover into place I didn’t want to take it back off until I removed the spare. I may revisit the rubber option in the future, so I will hold onto it for now. The picture below shows the ridges inside the rubber liner. And the final result.

Ford Bronco Covered the void around camera KIMG0705

Ford Bronco Covered the void around camera KIMG0703

Ford Bronco Covered the void around camera KIMG0704
Sponsored

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Pretty much same thing I did with my pro comp wheels. I took a hole saw to the center cap and cut a circle. Fits nice and tight.

OP
OP
IwannaGOfast

IwannaGOfast

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ranger Long Travel, 2014 Cruze Commuter
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I originally was going to use a hole saw to drill the circle, but I only had ones that were too small or too large.

Before I found this boomerang port the plan was to buy the right size hole saw. I liked that the boomerang port fit perfectly since the sides are flat on the camera housing.

Imonamoose

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Moose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have a boomerang tire cover. Great product.

Repurposing that little plastic housing was a great idea! Nice work.
Sponsored