Sponsored

New Bronco owner here. Dealer recommended to not use snow chains as it would mess with the 4x4 system and void warranty?

BootyWizard

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2 Door Wildtrak | 1994 Toyota 4Runner.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hey all, please forgive me if the above sounds like nonsense, I am from southern california and can count the number of times I've seen snow on one hand. Told my dealer when buying the car that I was planning a road trip to Washington and back, and he said to be careful and not use snow chains if possible, as the chains could mess with the 4x4 system and that would void the warranty.

This sounds like total dealer BS, but again I have no context since I rarely interact with snow. They said I should be good with the slippery G.O.A.T. mode, but wondering if I should still buy chains.

Side note, if the above is BS, does anyone have chains they recommend for the sasquatch 35 inch tires?
Sponsored

John Bronco_ I am here

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnbronco.com
Vehicle(s)
'66 Bronco, '08 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You have AWD and four wheel drive, you don't need snow chains. To many cons with chains to use them on-road if you have good tires and AWD.

But to cover the subject 100% if you used chains on all four tires then no damage or warranty issues but who wants to be limited to 30mph?

bcool2525

Badlands
First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT500, 1987 F250, 1969 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I live in northern Michigan and have never had to use chains to get through snow, so depending on where you need to go they might not be needed. I don't think chains would hurt the vehicle for short drives at lower speeds. Long term high speed could cause vibration issues in the driveline and damage something that the warranty then wouldn't cover.

OP
OP

BootyWizard

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2 Door Wildtrak | 1994 Toyota 4Runner.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You have AWD and four wheel drive, you don't need snow chains. To many cons with chains to use them on-road if you have good tires and AWD.
My thoughts exactly, I think I should be fine with the 35's as well. Just concerned about the recent snow storm is all. Heard that some sections of road wont let you proceed without chains. Thanks for making me feel better!

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To answer the question, chains increase the probability of damage to your vehicle... usually due to improper installation/operation, but occasionally the chains or tensioners do break. They also do an awesome job tearing up your tires, and force you to limit your speed.

I used to live along the the Utah/Colorado border and currently live in New England. Winter sports are by far my favorite activity and I drive in the snow regularly during the winter. I have never needed chains on my Bronco (or any 4x4 vehicle for that matter).

That said... I will confess that I have carried chains in the back of my vehicle when I knew weather was going to be real bad, but I've never had to actually put them on.

Sponsored

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A point to make though. Just because you have 4WD and possibly good tires, that doesn't mean you are invincible. I agree chains aren't needed, and if they are you shouldn't be on the road. I believe you can run them, but only on the rear, I believe there is clearance issues on the front.

Even more important is that you very much need to look out for others on the road. I recently barely missed getting my Bronco wiped out because of an idiot -"I don't understand, I have 4WD" that didn't understand that roads get slick and icy and you will slide. He came around a turn too fast and was coming straight at me. I was able to react fast enough to dodge him (I think the Bronco had a lot to do with that), but I ended up stuck in a ditch sitting on my frame.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Read this for sure. Chains are recommended on the rear only for Broncos with 255 tires only (non Sas Base, BB, OBX). That said I will run chains off road and I suppose on road If REALLY need on my 265 tires. I'm sure the limitation is for clearance not mechanical reasons, though the 190 font might not like aggressive driving chained up
Clearance is fine on the rear but limited on the front.
With your (I assume Sasquach) 35's it may not be a good idea.

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
but who wants to be limited to 30mph?
It’s not who wants to be limited to 30 mph…but who should be. Just cuz someone has a Bronco, Jeep, or especially an Audi doesn’t mean they should be driving faster than their abilities. Roadways used to stay open under almost all conditions until recently when it seems everyone thinks they can drive in the snow. Now they just preemptively close the roads to avoid all the accidents.

Sorry for the rant. Struck a nerve there. It just gets old spending 4 hours getting somewhere that should take 30 minutes because of drivers who think they know about snow and ice.

But yeah, skip the chains. If you think you need them probably best to wait out the storm

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have chains for my Escape and keep them in the back in the winter, but I hope to never have to use them. There is no way I'm buying chains for my Bronco Sasquatch.

If you stay on paved roads, even with two feet of fresh show, you should be able to get through just fine with the capabilities of the Sasquatch package. I've driven through deep snow drifts and gone up a rather sketchy road with deep loose snow. With lockers front and rear, it was unstoppable.

Don't bother getting chains, you'll get through just fine without them.

Sponsored

Bluestreak57

Outer Banks
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco, OBX SaS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hey all, please forgive me if the above sounds like nonsense, I am from southern california and can count the number of times I've seen snow on one hand. Told my dealer when buying the car that I was planning a road trip to Washington and back, and he said to be careful and not use snow chains if possible, as the chains could mess with the 4x4 system and that would void the warranty.

This sounds like total dealer BS, but again I have no context since I rarely interact with snow. They said I should be good with the slippery G.O.A.T. mode, but wondering if I should still buy chains.

Side note, if the above is BS, does anyone have chains they recommend for the sasquatch 35 inch tires?
In Washington they NEVER make four wheel drives put chains on, and if roads are bad enough that 4x4 need chains no one should be driving…

that being said, there is a requirement to “carry” chains in your vehicle during the winter months if traveling over the major highway passes in the state. I will secure and carry a traction “sock” set sold by Les Schwab which meets WSP requirements.

Welcome to Washington!

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In Washington they NEVER make four wheel drives put chains on, and if roads are bad enough that 4x4 need chains no one should be driving…

that being said, there is a requirement to “carry” chains in your vehicle during the winter months if traveling over the major highway passes in the state. I will secure and carry a traction “sock” set sold by Les Schwab which meets WSP requirements.

Welcome to Washington!
Not true. In fact just today they were requiring ALL vehicles to have chains on Snoqualmie Pass, including AWD. Of course that lasted about 20 minutes before they shut the pass down. In fact all the passes are shut down. Nice big shitshow out there...

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But yeah, skip the chains. If you think you need them probably best to wait out the storm
This. If the conditions warrant the use of chains (think blizzard like conditions, 12"+ of snow on the road and accumulating, near zero visibility) best to stay inside.

I grew up in western NY, lived upstate and downstate and never had a need for chains.

Edit. Not sure if it was already mentioned and since you have minimal snow experience, one thing a lot of people forget is that while 4wd will help you go, it doesn't help you stop.

Last edited:

Bluestreak57

Outer Banks
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco, OBX SaS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This. If the conditions warrant the use of chains (think blizzard like conditions, 12"+ of snow on the road and accumulating, near zero visibility) best to stay inside.

I grew up in western NY, lived upstate and downstate and never had a need for chains.
I stand corrected… have never seen that notice in 65 years in the State…. I would still say if they required AWD to chain up no one should be on the road.

Socks are a good alternative…
Sponsored