Sponsored

New Bronco owner here. Dealer recommended to not use snow chains as it would mess with the 4x4 system and void warranty?

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

. Most of us who live/have lived up there have studded tires making it a bit of a non-issue.
Sadly not all places allow studded tires, like here in MI. If you are allowed them they are amazing. We once had a Mercedes ML320 with studded Hankook RW11 Ipikes and even ice on the road wouldn't phase them.
some will tell you that a "studless" snow tire like a Blizzak is the equal of a studded tire. I've driven with both and that simply not true.
Sponsored

mtclimb3r

Badlands
First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are tradeoffs to everything and while legally you have to carry them in some places, I'd use them as the very last solution if I was out alone. There is a very narrow window where chains are useful. Winter tires are better on ice/snow than chains, especially if you are going to go to <30 mph regardless especially with 4WD (and winter tires). If you get stuck, chains are hard to put on and traction boards are probably the better answer or a quick tow out from a passing truck.

If you are consistently driving in winter conditions, winter tires are just miles better than anything else. IDK how people can say KO2s are good for driving snowy/icy roads in winter...my Tacoma slid all over on them. I installed Nokian Hakkapellita LT3s and I have never had such a small change make such a large difference to driving. I'll never run anything but winter tires in Montana for my daily driver again. Different tires are ideal for 'snow wheeling' but that's not what I think is the issue at hand here.

Tires are your vehicles only connection to the ground. The systems (4WD, TC, VSC) only work as well as the traction your tires give you. The easiest thing to do for safety and driving in winter is to MAX the traction of your tires on snow/ice. Can you run an AT in Winter? Sure. Is it as good as a winter tire? No.

mtclimb3r

Badlands
First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
some will tell you that a "studless" snow tire like a Blizzak is the equal of a studded tire.
I've driven with both and that simply not true.
If you talk to Nokian the manufacturer, they will tell you exactly that. The only conditions studs make sense in is if your tires will likely never see dry pavement in winter such as Alaska. Studs reduce tire traction on pavement and wear down incredibly quickly on dry surfaces (not to mention they fuck up roads which my taxes are repairing). After a while, you will just have a winter tire with shitty worn down studs.

It's a tradeoff. I'm not arguing studs aren't better on ice, just that they don't make sense to me in most of the lower 48.

ohp138

Outer Banks
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hey all, please forgive me if the above sounds like nonsense, I am from southern california and can count the number of times I've seen snow on one hand. Told my dealer when buying the car that I was planning a road trip to Washington and back, and he said to be careful and not use snow chains if possible, as the chains could mess with the 4x4 system and that would void the warranty.

This sounds like total dealer BS, but again I have no context since I rarely interact with snow. They said I should be good with the slippery G.O.A.T. mode, but wondering if I should still buy chains.

Side note, if the above is BS, does anyone have chains they recommend for the sasquatch 35 inch tires?

You will 100% need chains if you ever attempt to traverse the muddy (clay) terrain of Colorado. I've seen and experienced this first hand (not in a Bronco, but two Jeeps) and there is ZERO traction without chains. I'm sure someone will fight me on this, but I would challenge them to hit some of those backcountry roads near Steamboat while elk hunting and let me know how it goes when you have to be bailed out.

Sponsored

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I took my friends wheeling on some pretty cool trails the other day. It had rained and snowed the night before. All the Broncos were slipping a good bit before we even hit the steep stuff. I gave a pair of chains to each of the others and we cruised effortlessly down and back up the trail; hardly turned on a locker. I grew up in central Alaska and didnā€™t need them much there. These icy mountain trails are something different! They melt during the day and turn to ice in the evening. I posted pics showing clearance. Sasquatch rears no problem (thatā€™s where we put the chains). Spacers or 0-ish offset wheels for the front (and then clearance modified on the front/rear crashbars. I had no problems on My 35s or my 37s on 3ā€ lift, but they just touch the rear inner flares when stuffing the suspension. Chains also get rid of that out in your stomach when you are sliding around uncontrolled and wish you had a lower deductible. I hate them on the paved road, so I would avoid that at all costs and travel slowly as well Simple as install and check prior to needing them. Install and tighten correctly, drive a hundred yards, readjust and re-tension, check occasionally, listen for loose chains, drive slow and have fun!
Ford Bronco New Bronco owner here. Dealer recommended to not use snow chains as it would mess with the 4x4 system and void warranty? 62B1B251-C7D3-47C5-AA18-B74F15D73EF5

GRIFFINCONWAY

Badlands
First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I took my friends wheeling on some pretty cool trails the other day. It had rained and snowed the night before. All the Broncos were slipping a good bit before we even hit the steep stuff. I gave a pair of chains to each of the others and we cruised effortlessly down and back up the trail; hardly turned on a locker. I grew up in central Alaska and didnā€™t need them much there. These icy mountain trails are something different! They melt during the day and turn to ice in the evening. I posted pics showing clearance. Sasquatch rears no problem (thatā€™s where we put the chains). Spacers or 0-ish offset wheels for the front (and then clearance modified on the front/rear crashbars. I had no problems on My 35s or my 37s on 3ā€ lift, but they just touch the rear inner flares when stuffing the suspension. Chains also get rid of that out in your stomach when you are sliding around uncontrolled and wish you had a lower deductible. I hate them on the paved road, so I would avoid that at all costs and travel slowly as well Simple as install and check prior to needing them. Install and tighten correctly, drive a hundred yards, readjust and re-tension, check occasionally, listen for loose chains, drive slow and have fun!
Ford Bronco New Bronco owner here. Dealer recommended to not use snow chains as it would mess with the 4x4 system and void warranty? 62B1B251-C7D3-47C5-AA18-B74F15D73EF5
Good notes. What specific chains do you reccomend? Looking to get some for my stock Sasquatch badlands.

cracKen

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Badlands 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would get snow socks personally. In multiple tests, it shows they stop better and itā€™s stopping power that you really need. Iā€™m in Washington state and several times driving up to mt rainier they required snow chains (or socks) and had those flashing lights requiring you to put them on. So we did. You couldnā€™t get pass the entrance without telling then you had chains or socks. And quite frankly Iā€™d rather have it for recreational use. Iā€™ve never needed snow socks in city driving despite slipping and sliding in several snowed out day in a front wheel drive vehicle.
Sponsored