Sponsored

New Bronco owner here. Dealer recommended to not use snow chains as it would mess with the 4x4 system and void warranty?

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, they typically shut everything down when it gets to that point. With all the truck traffic and people that shouldn't be on the road in a light rainstorm, it's best that they shut things down
Sponsored

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hey all, please forgive me if the above sounds like nonsense, I am from southern california and can count the number of times I've seen snow on one hand. Told my dealer when buying the car that I was planning a road trip to Washington and back, and he said to be careful and not use snow chains if possible, as the chains could mess with the 4x4 system and that would void the warranty.

This sounds like total dealer BS, but again I have no context since I rarely interact with snow. They said I should be good with the slippery G.O.A.T. mode, but wondering if I should still buy chains.

Side note, if the above is BS, does anyone have chains they recommend for the sasquatch 35 inch tires?
I saw that you are from SoCal. Be advised, the CHP almost never lets any vehicle, including four wheel, AWD, etc., proceed up the hill to Big Bear area without chains when snow is present.

labattbluebronco

Base
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 bronco, 18 silverado, 11 taurus, 01 wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

In my opinion, if the road is so bad that an experienced driver in a 4 wheel drive vehicle that has winter traction tires on it can't be driven safely, chains are not going to help. Like 4 wheel drive, chains help you go, not stop or steer, especially if you put them on the rear as Ford suggests. If I ever had to drive in conditions so bad that I were to put on chains (versus turning around and going home), I'd for sure put them on the front tires of my 4 wheel drive. Any additional traction chains might provide should be on the steer wheels and where 70% plus of the braking power is. Just my two cents.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
If it's to the point where you need chains on a Bronco, go find a place to stay until it clears up...

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hey all, please forgive me if the above sounds like nonsense, I am from southern california and can count the number of times I've seen snow on one hand. Told my dealer when buying the car that I was planning a road trip to Washington and back, and he said to be careful and not use snow chains if possible, as the chains could mess with the 4x4 system and that would void the warranty.

This sounds like total dealer BS, but again I have no context since I rarely interact with snow. They said I should be good with the slippery G.O.A.T. mode, but wondering if I should still buy chains.

Side note, if the above is BS, does anyone have chains they recommend for the sasquatch 35 inch tires?

Way too many incorrect answers. You're not supposed to use snow CHAINS. Instead you need to use snow CABLES (or even a sock). Chains are too bulky and will damage things.

Also, what most people that have replied are forgetting, is that it is a law (California?) that you WILL CARRY Snow traction devices during any chain required statuses, even when in a 4x4.

Basically, you will most likely never have to install them, however you legally must have them.

So go buy some cables (not chains) and you will be all legal.

Sponsored

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

As a driver who grew up in snow country (SC AK) I've needed a chained up 4x4 no more than a handful of times. Chains are one of those devices that give you an edge if you need them, and honestly it's experience that will guide you to when, where and how they will be useful.
If you need to carry them to travel, consider something like a Spike Spider setup Spikes-Spider: Easier, Better than Tire Chains - Winter Driving – Spikes Spider .Regular chains are a messy cold and nasty bitch to install. Where I lived I did need chains to get my 72 Mustang up the hill to my house and could get them installed in 10-15 minutes and that was with a lot of practice. First time you'll be messing with them for an hour. You'll hate that.

Billnchristy

Black Diamond
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bmw m440i gc,2022 BD 2dr, 1966 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

When I lived in upstate NY it was always AWD/4WD vehicles in the ditches during snow storms. I drove a damn FWD torque monster Taurus SHO and the only problems I had were having to rev out on hills because if I shifted I'd torque steer into the ditch.

raptorusmaximus

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

If your going to Tahoe or something in bad weather Cal Trans should let you through the check point with a vehicle like a Bronco. I think people who never lived in the mountains may not realize whats its like driving slippery roads with a thousand foot drop off to your right.
Chains are better than 4x4 for one thing.... ICE especially in the mountains. It makes sense though not to drive through the mountains when the roads are that bad...... stay and ski for an extra day :cool:

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I saw that you are from SoCal. Be advised, the CHP almost never lets any vehicle, including four wheel, AWD, etc., proceed up the hill to Big Bear area without chains when snow is present.
I have an old empty chain box for this exact reason. They don't want snow players getting stuck up the mountain. Keep the box visible in the rear drivers side window and they will waive you right through .

But don't ever actually use chains or cables on the Bronco.

Do what you gotta do if you have a 2WD but chains are bad.

SafariJeff

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Defender / 2000 Discovery / 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have gone a few different ways over the years and vehicles. My take, those big chains are perfect for moving a lot of snow or mud on dirt roads, vibrate your teeth out trying to drive in snow on a road and fall apart above 25mph. The AT tires are not too bad , the MT tires seems to slip all over the place (no siping), in snow, the perfect snow tire grabs and holds onto the snow to give snow-on-snow traction like rolling a snowman. Hence they have siping everywhere to keep the snow on the tire as it rotates.
Again, back to me, I went with the thickest DOT commercial cable chains for going over Donner Pass in the Sierra's:
Security Chain Company SZ492 Super Z8 8mm Commercial and Light Truck Tire Traction Chain - Set of 2, Silver - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002KQI55E
Why you say: Rubber on ice, is rubber on ice these things make it a snow mobile. I mainly worry about black ice and not 3-10 inches of snow. The triple peak snowflake tires will do their job in snow, nothing works on ice... but steel. The cable chains can go a bit higher speeds than heavy chains, they grab on ice and the tires grab on the snow, best possible case of not getting stuck or sliding off the road... and you can go 35-40mph (not recommended by manufacturer, but possible) so you get there twice as fast too with the most comfort in the cab considering you have chains on.
The rear wheel thing only is new to me since electronic differential controls now, I assume the GOAT modes can figure out traction on the wheels???? I actually would put chains on all 4 wheels until I hear/confirm differently, you still need to steer on ice.

Sponsored

Jwredneck

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150, 1969 U14 EB, 1969 U15 EB
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Personally, I would air down the tires before I considered chains.

Paughco

Outer Banks
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Snoqualmie Valley, Washington, USA, Planet Earth
Vehicle(s)
2001 F-150 XLT and 2022 Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm in Washington State right now. It's been snowing over the past few days. Lots of snow in the mountains, only a couple inches or so where I live. The main roads are pretty well plowed and treated with de-icer. The snow gets deeper as you go north towards Bellingham, and less as you go south towards Olympia. Supposed to be minimal new snow today, but it's going to get really cold, like down to 10 degF tonight. It's supposed to warm up over Friday. Light snow will start Friday afternoon, changing to freezing rain, then going to regular rain. Hopefully the roads will be OK by Saturday, when I'm supposed to drive my wife into Seattle. I've been driving around locally in my Bronco OBX, and the slippery GOAT mode has been just fine. No chains needed.

All of the above is background to what WaDOT says about going over Snoqualmie Pass and Stevens Pass on their website: https://wsdot.com/travel/real-time/mountain-pass-reports. " Chains required on all vehicles except all wheel drive, Oversize Vehicles Prohibited."

Take it easy and you'll be fine.

Seeya
ATB

NewBroncoOwner

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I cross several passes that get dumped on here in MT, I wont use chains on the Bronco. 4H and some KO2s work well for light snow and 4L for those deeper snow days work just fine.

PleaseDontRoll

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I live in the Sierras and I cant believe the amount of bad advice here. Chains are absolutely more important then 4x4/AWD in certain conditions. Its true, chains are of minimal use when there is deep/loose snow on the ground. Chains are critical when there is snow on top of ice. 4x4 does not equal more traction for braking, chains do and that matters a lot when ascending/descending. There are a lot of roads in the Sierras that you cannot traverse without chains or studded tires in the winter regardless of your setup. I am not saying you need chains on I-80 but there are plenty of roads up near Sierraville for example that you are going to have a bad time on without chains and they stay in that state for weeks at a time so your choice is to lock yourself in or get some chains. Most of us who live/have lived up there have studded tires making it a bit of a non-issue.

M&M Beer

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge-F-150 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If your in the mountains you will need them you could get a ticket if not. If your worried get the cloth ones they work fine.
Sponsored