First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Bronco, 2008 Triumph Thuxton
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
From searching here and google, I’m still perplexed / confused with the manuals description for snow chains. It’s has recommendations on width for the smaller tires, but can you run chains on the
35 Goodyear MT? They are required to have in your car here in CA mountains.

Schnabby

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JeepJL4dr,Raptor6.2,JeepJK2dr,M4Conv,65Must,74CJ5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've never had to install chains on my Raptor or Jeeps. Never even stopped at chain controls. Run BFG KO2's and do not let them get too warn down before the start of ski season. IF there are R3 chain controls one should not be on the road anyway.

J.Spicoli

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've never had to install chains on my Raptor or Jeeps. Never even stopped at chain controls. Run BFG KO2's and do not let them get too warn down before the start of ski season. IF there are R3 chain controls one should not be on the road anyway.

I'm gonna second this. I understand some laws require at least having them in the car, but in over 20 yrs of driving over Donner Summit, hwy 80 near Lake Tahoe with plenty of snow I have never seen chains required on all vehicles (R3). Usually the road just closes and it's because of accidents and I've seen some pretty bad conditions.

On the other hand if you're thinking capabilities of the Bronco and needing them to get through the snow...I just can't imagine ever needing them assuming you have decent tires like mentioned above with the KO2s. Like I said above I've seen it all and had mostly trucks with and without weight in the back mostly running the KO2's on regular streets and I've not once needed more than 4wd. I think the Bronco with good tires will get you 99% of the places you want to go.

Hope that helps!

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From searching here and google, I’m still perplexed / confused with the manuals description for snow chains. It’s has recommendations on width for the smaller tires, but can you run chains on the
35 Goodyear MT? They are required to have in your car here in CA mountains.
Dealer stated, without prompting, when I bought the vehicle no snow chains, only cables for Sasquatch. Trying to look up a decent set.

And since they’re not snow rated, I’d think they’d’ve been required to be installed for driving today.

FB323744-DD12-4666-AF5D-B85942255651.png

Last edited:

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dealer stated, without prompting, when I bought the vehicle no snow chains, only cables for Sasquatch. Trying to look up a decent set.

And since they’re not snow rated, I’d think they’d’ve been required to be installed for driving today.

FB323744-DD12-4666-AF5D-B85942255651.png
if you’re talking about the different chain controls for I80 and route 50 in the Sierra Nevadas, then yes — any sort of chain control level (R1, R2, or R3) will require you to keep chains with you in the vehicle at all times. Even for 4WD cars with M+S tires (like all Badlands/Sasquatch broncos are)

typically you’ll see R2 chain control whenever it snows on these roads — this chain control level specifies all vehicles except for 4WD/AWD vehicles with M+S rated tires must have chains installed. All other vehicles MUST have chains in their possession in case conditions worsen.

I went with a pair of Peerless 0232805 Auto-Trac chains to keep with me, even though I never expect to ever use them. The Badlands LT285/70R17 KO2’s are extremely high rated in snow, and are decent on ice, so if I ever need to chain up I should probably just not go anywhere.

I80 and route 50 almost never use R1 or R3 chain control levels in my experience. R1 would cause confusion and allow 4WD/AWD vehicles with summer tires on the road, and R3 never happens because they’d sooner close the highways than let you drive through 6 inches of snow.

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

… And since they’re not snow rated, I’d think they’d’ve been required to be installed for driving today…
If you’re talking about the Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT LT315 tires, they’re definitely M+S rated — look for either the “M+S” designation on the sidewalk or a small mountain icon with three peaks and a snowflake inside.

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you’re talking about the Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT LT315 tires, they’re definitely M+S rated — look for either the “M+S” designation on the sidewalk or a small mountain icon with three peaks and a snowflake inside.
if you’re talking about the different chain controls for I80 and route 50 in the Sierra Nevadas, then yes — any sort of chain control level (R1, R2, or R3) will require you to keep chains with you in the vehicle at all times. Even for 4WD cars with M+S tires (like all Badlands/Sasquatch broncos are)

typically you’ll see R2 chain control whenever it snows on these roads — this chain control level specifies all vehicles except for 4WD/AWD vehicles with M+S rated tires must have chains installed. All other vehicles MUST have chains in their possession in case conditions worsen.

I went with a pair of Peerless 0232805 Auto-Trac chains to keep with me, even though I never expect to ever use them. The Badlands LT285/70R17 KO2’s are extremely high rated in snow, and are decent on ice, so if I ever need to chain up I should probably just not go anywhere.

I80 and route 50 almost never use R1 or R3 chain control levels in my experience. R1 would cause confusion and allow 4WD/AWD vehicles with summer tires on the road, and R3 never happens because they’d sooner close the highways than let you drive through 6 inches of snow.
My mistake, I haven’t actually looked that closely at the tires, but I could’ve sworn I’ve seen it posted that they were not snow rated. Thank you for the correction.

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My mistake, I haven’t actually looked that closely at the tires, but I could’ve sworn I’ve seen it posted that they were not snow rated. Thank you for the correction.
They may not have the three peaks, but I’d be stunned if an MT tire wasn’t at least rated for Mud+Snow like the M+S logo states. To my knowledge, the three peaks are a level of extreme snow rating beyond that, but legally you only need a M+S rating for CA chain controls.

Ask me how I know:
Ford Bronco Snow chains / cables 1641615159183

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
They are NOT 3 peak (Severe Snow Certiified)
https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-territory-mt

If you look at other Goodyear tires you can see how Goodyear describes it
https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-duratrac
https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-all-terrain-adventure

The Territory MTs do great in the snow, they are not however 3 Peak/Snow Certified. I am extremely happy with them, They do better than Toyo AT3s and BFG KOs which I have on my other vehicles..

bishop0577

Base
First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4 door base/sqatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think the owners manual said something about not running cables on 35's. I could be wrong...

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They are NOT 3 peak (Severe Snow Certiified)
https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-territory-mt

If you look at other Goodyear tires you can see how Goodyear describes it
https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-duratrac
https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-all-terrain-adventure

The Territory MTs do great in the snow, they are not however 3 Peak/Snow Certified. I am extremely happy with them, They do better than Toyo AT3s and BFG KOs which I have on my other vehicles..
Yup, as I suspected — for @Corsair ’s use case however, three peaks aren’t required legally. Only M+S rating is required which is clearly marked on the Territory MT sidewall. So they should be fine for CA chain control as long as they keep compatible chains with them in the vehicle at all times during chain control.

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the owners manual said something about not running cables on 35's. I could be wrong...
Usually this is due to clearance, and manufacturers not clearing the use of S-class or better chains. If you actually *need* chains on either L285 KO2’s or LT315 Territory MT’s, then you’re much worse off than worrying about the chain waiver you signed 😅

bishop0577

Base
First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4 door base/sqatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Usually this is due to clearance, and manufacturers not clearing the use of S-class or better chains. If you actually *need* chains on either L285 KO2’s or LT315 Territory MT’s, then you’re much worse off than worrying about the chain waiver you signed 😅
I am googlin
I think it's only chains and only on the back tires. Does that sound right? I am digging through the forum now.