First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree with vulcantires.com. The issue with cables & big knobby tires is that the cables are designed to rotate & they often can't with large aggressive tires.

Yep,
Been there before years ago :mad:. Almost got stuck up in Big Bear when they shut the road down. Nothing was getting off the mountain without them. Everyone in town selling chains knew it and priced them accordingly 😏
Needless to say I got chains for my 37's now as I'm going back up there next week.
Yeah . . . the dreaded "R3" condition in which chains are mandatory for all vehicles, even 4WD with snow tires, no exceptions. This is usually blizzard-like conditions and before snow plowing is able to smooth the road. My view has always been to simply not be out anytime R3 is in effect, it's not worth the danger, IMO. :oops:

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah . . . the dreaded "R3" condition in which chains are mandatory for all vehicles, even 4WD with snow tires, no exceptions. This is usually blizzard-like conditions and before snow plowing is able to smooth the road. My view has always been to simply not be out anytime R3 is in effect, it's not worth the danger, IMO. :oops:
Cliff Notes : Fresh out of high school beat the storm up to wheel in snow. Head on collision (slow speed min damage for me CJ-5 not so much for the brand new 4 runner) Snowed all day soured trip due to accident. Had to buy chains to get home. :(

SafariJeff

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Defender / 2000 Discovery / 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I also live in Tahoe, on the Nevada side, and truck back and forth across Donner pass. I always had chains, that are great off-road but not so much on roads. As mentioned, if your 4x4 needs with mtn peak snowflake tires need chains, the roads are closed. Also, at 35 mph, chains shake your teeth loose if there is not enough snow on the roads from the chain installation area. I decided for the roads to go with DOT cable chains:
SCC SZ492 Super Z8 8mm Commercial and Light Truck Tire Traction Chain
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KQI55E/
They are lower profile, handle the ice on the roads where any rubber does not, and will handle a little higher speeds without falling apart. They clear enough snow to let the tire do their job and a ‘little’ easier to put on since they less ‘floppy’ when you are kneeling down in the slush.

These make the Wildtrak a snowmobile...