First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, 4Runner, Jimmy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To be upfront, I am sure many of you prefer your beautiful winch exposed, completely naked and not protected at all.
No judgment intended here.

I have really been quite happy with my Bronco's quality winch bumper made and installed last year by "Buckstop".
It is the second bumper I have bought from them:

Buckstop Truckware
2734 High Desert Dr
Prineville, OR 97754
https://www.buckstopinc.com/classic-2-4988.html .

But living with the reality of western Oregon weather, I have always felt that wheeling around in the mud with my winch exposed
iz simply- No Bueno.
Tried the Neoprene winch cover...worked ok, just looked silly/stupid to me
Ford Bronco Covering the naked winch 1699828378998

From my simple point of view, the Buckstop winch bumper was missing One Important Detail... Actual winch protection that was NOT a stretchy condom.

After a year feeling like I was going naked, it was finally time to enlist someone who had the skill set and talent
(not me)
to design a top plate to properly finish and complete my winch's bumper.
1) Found a fabrication shop happily willing to take my money,o_O...and one of their employees it turns out is a CAD artist - extraordinaire.
He really did amazing work. Shout out to 'John' at W. Meyers Fabrication, Inc. just north of Eugene, Oregon.
2) Also enlisted a local quality powder coat company (to protect the steel)- which has always done quality work for me;
ALTECH Finishes, Eugene, Oregon managed by a gratefully quality obsessed manager named Paul who has earned my respect multiple times.

Now that the typical Western Oregon rainy season has arrived on schedule-the Bronco's winch is now protected properly from the rain and the now the Buckstop bumper looks like it is complete to me.

Before the winch:

Ford Bronco Covering the naked winch Buckstop Bumper 11.18.2022.c

Protected winch plate:

Ford Bronco Covering the naked winch 20231112_113358.9

Ford Bronco Covering the naked winch 20231112_113358.15

Ford Bronco Covering the naked winch 20231112_113358.3

Ford Bronco Covering the naked winch 20231112_113358.2

Ford Bronco Covering the naked winch 20231112_113358.1

Ford Bronco Covering the naked winch 20231112_113358.4

Ford Bronco Covering the naked winch 20231112_113358.8

Lost my front right mudflap down a ravine in Nevada... A puckering moment
Ford Bronco Covering the naked winch 20231112_113358.21

only one mud flap left...(note the lack of mud on the doors-)proof they work well on Bronco:
Ford Bronco Covering the naked winch 20231112_113358.20. ad
Sponsored

Last edited:

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
It looks like you went with steel wire rope for your which? Do you have a use case where that makes more sense for you?

OP
OP
Who iz

Who iz

Badlands
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, 4Runner, Jimmy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It looks like you went with steel wire rope for your which? Do you have a use case where that makes more sense for you?
Fair question....I prefer steel, it is what I am used to using pulling logs. If I used rope where I am most of the time, I would not leave it on until I was heading out on a trail, then I would remove it to keep it clean and dry.
My Bronco is rarely either clean or dry.

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Clean execution. I had one of those shower cap looking covers on for a bit but was cautioned that it will trap moisture and cause problems. Yours should allow it to air out just fine.

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Click Bait!...
Was hoping to see how someone kept their wench in line.

Personally, if mine wants to go 'naked' who am I to say 'no'. She has her own mind.

Sponsored

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Fair question....I prefer steel, it is what I am used to using pulling logs. If I used rope where I am most of the time, I would not leave it on until I was heading out on a trail, then I would remove it to keep it clean and dry.
My Bronco is rarely either clean or dry.
You don't need to take the rope off. It should be a synthetic UHMWPE material, it doesn't absorb moisture like cotton or nylon rope.
However if pulling logs, you may want to protect the line from abrasion. UHMWPE lines are used on ships and in high-friction jobs on big winches. It's popular in boating because it's stronger than steel for a given weight, has low friction, repels water, and floats.

OP
OP
Who iz

Who iz

Badlands
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, 4Runner, Jimmy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am sincerely grateful for your concern and input. I am not truly anti-synthetic winch line. Just personally do not prefer the new rope material over the steel I am used to pulling with. In all honesty, I would also prefer a true "heritage model" Bronco with hand E brakes, ash trays, hand crank roll down windows, push down door locks and old style key ignition and exterior keyed door locks too. I would even consider using an cassette or 8 track player if I could be allowed to freely choose the options from FORD. Also....I even camp on the ground with a wool bedroll. In the USA we are still mostly able to choose to live free or die!
None the less.... really -I love my new fangled Bronco fancy ass rig and hope it out lives me!
Happy to be who I iz...another ranting old bastard:rolleyes:.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Who iz

Who iz

Badlands
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, 4Runner, Jimmy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Click Bait!...
Was hoping to see how someone kept their wench in line.

Personally, if mine wants to go 'naked' who am I to say 'no'. She has her own mind.
!00%.... in full agreement.
Sponsored