Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang convertible / 2015 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So just to start the dialog. As I continue my extended wait for my Badlands. my mind wanders to the constraints. Is anyone else curious about the semiconductor/ module shortage. How about the question to Ford. How is it you can be starting a all electric F150 and not build Broncos? Pretty damn sure it takes way more chips and modules to build a all electric F150 than a Bronco?
So Ford motor Company, is this political?
Sponsored

Notmattwong

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So just to start the dialog. As I continue my extended wait for my Badlands. my mind wanders to the constraints. Is anyone else curious about the semiconductor/ module shortage. How about the question to Ford. How is it you can be starting a all electric F150 and not build Broncos? Pretty damn sure it takes way more chips and modules to build a all electric F150 than a Bronco?
Yes, ford knows how you voted and they’re spiting you for it. How’d you know? It’s not like every other auto maker in the entire world is dealing with the same pandemic and supply chain issues……

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

antenna shortage, need to uplink to aliens

Sponsored

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not all chips are the same nor are all types of chips under the same constraints. There are older less advanced chips that are proven by years of experience for some applications. Those are the chips on constraint. It’s not like Ford can’t get any of them, it’s that the rate of production of the modules that use them is lower than the demand for installation.
Newer, more high tech chips may have greater availability so their modules wouldn’t be as constrained.

equitasforall

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was in the chip section at Food City in Morristown, TN about a half hour ago, and there was absolutely no shortage. I opted for the Chili Cheese Fritos and the Cheddar and Sour Cream Ruffles.

Plenty of chips to go around.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
When they say "chip" or "semiconcuctor" shortage. It's really just the media being lazy, and using that as a shorthand. It's not like it's an off the shelf processor. These things are highly proprietary and ordered a year to 18 months in advance.

These modern vehicles have multiple computer systems in them. These computers are (as I said) proprietary, and somewhat individualized, and generally only somewhat interchangeable.

At a minimum you have a Body Control Module (BCM) and an Engine Control Module (ECM). You may have a PCM (powertrain) which incorporates both an ECM and transmission control module. That's before you get into anything exotic like infotainment systems, or on-board navigation.

So, I am certain that these modules are identical on things like the Bronco Sport and Maverick (which are built in the same factory), but F-150 modules will be different, and Bronco ones will be different as well.

The Lightning is going to have completely different electronics architecture, so will use completely different control modules.

The real issue is that Ford (and to be fair, most other auto companies) anticipated a massive demand drop due to the pandemic. And to an extent that was true. We bought a 2020 F-150 in April of 2021 with over $7k of incentives because vehicles at that time were not moving. So now they have lots of orders, but they needed to order the chips in January of 2021. It's the perfect failure of JIT meets long-lead.

And it's not just Bronco. Bronco may be one of the least effected lines. At one point they had over 200,000 F-150 parked with no ECMs, and were considering schemes where they delivered non-working trucks to the dealers and then have the service departments install the ECM when they were available.
Sponsored