Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Stupid question but why do they refer to the painted one as modular but the MIC not? Both install exactly the same, same number of parts. The only difference is that the windows remove on the painted one. Doesn't make sense why they don't on the MIC as they arrive at the factory windowless. I guess you can add the large port on top of the 2 door modular as a difference too. I just don't understand why they are not the same other than one has a smooth surface for painting, one molded in color.

And the grey MIC, must be the same people involved as with the interior colors. First I gave them the benefit of the doubt that maybe the black expanded too much but then looking at new Jeeps and seeing they have black, that kills that theory.
The MIC top is Molded In Color. In rough terms: if you cut the top in half then it would be the exact same color all the way through. The MOD top is layers of materials and then painted.

See @ZackDanger 's response below. He's veery detailed, I like to summarize. Because nitpicky people torque me off sometimes. :LOL: :alien:

Last edited:

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Stupid question but why do they refer to the painted one as modular but the MIC not? Both install exactly the same, same number of parts. The only difference is that the windows remove on the painted one. Doesn't make sense why they don't on the MIC as they arrive at the factory windowless. I guess you can add the large port on top of the 2 door modular as a difference too. I just don't understand why they are not the same other than one has a smooth surface for painting, one molded in color.

And the grey MIC, must be the same people involved as with the interior colors. First I gave them the benefit of the doubt that maybe the black expanded too much but then looking at new Jeeps and seeing they have black, that kills that theory.

These are the two tops:

Construction and Color

1. “MIC” (stands for “Molded in Color”). The outer shell is a textured thermoplastic sheet, which is colored all the way through. It started out more gray and has been getting darker as we get closer to final production. It is matte in appearance and not dissimilar to the unpainted fender flares. It weighs the least of the two.

2. “Modular.” The outer shell is a thicker SMC sheet which is smooth and painted with a clear coat. It’s heavier. It’s presumed to be quieter. It's glossy black. Also comes in white for MY22. (Also body color matched on certain trims.)

Removable Pieces and Functionality

Both types of tops have two removable panels over the front seats, and the removable clam shell over the cargo area. The 4-door has the additional removable panel over the back seats. MIC and Modular are identical in these regards.

The Modular top adds ADDITIONAL removable pieces. The rear side windows of the clamshell (both 2 and 4 doors), and the “gunner hatch” over the rear seats of the 2-door.

Total number of individual pieces break down like this:

2-Door
MIC: 3
Modular: 6

4-door
MIC: 4

Updated: 02/10/21
@ZackDanger

Latest MIC pics:

Ford Bronco Dealers giving me different answers on MIC modular color 1612985146914

MOD top:

Ford Bronco Dealers giving me different answers on MIC modular color 1612985169649

Last edited:

ResidualGenius

Wildtrak
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

ResidualGenius

Wildtrak
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Placing an order for an Oxford White Outer Banks 4 door, and the first dealership I spoke with told me that the MIC modular top would be black, not the carbonized grey I've seen. I'd much prefer the black MIC to the grey.

The MIC is definitely NOT black but, has as of KOH looked a darker grey then was on the first pre-production models/

Sponsored

firefox33

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

These are the two tops:

Construction and Color

1. “MIC” (stands for “Molded in Color”). The outer shell is a textured thermoplastic sheet, which is colored all the way through. It started out more gray and has been getting darker as we get closer to final production. It is matte in appearance and not dissimilar to the unpainted fender flares. It weighs the least of the two.

2. “Modular.” The outer shell is a thicker SMC sheet which is smooth and painted with a clear coat. It’s heavier. It’s presumed to be quieter. It's glossy black. Also comes in white for MY22. (Also body color matched on certain trims.)

Removable Pieces and Functionality

Both types of tops have two removable panels over the front seats, and the removable clam shell over the cargo area. The 4-door has the additional removable panel over the back seats. MIC and Modular are identical in these regards.

The Modular top adds ADDITIONAL removable pieces. The rear side windows of the clamshell (both 2 and 4 doors), and the “gunner hatch” over the rear seats of the 2-door.

Total number of individual pieces break down like this:

2-Door
MIC: 3

4-door
MIC: 4

Updated: 02/10/21
@ZackDanger

Latest MIC pics:

Ford Bronco Dealers giving me different answers on MIC modular color 1612985169649

MOD top:

I believe the 2dr. Mod is 5 pieces not 6.

kje22kje

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 4Runner TRD Off Rd
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I believe the 2dr. Mod is 5 pieces not 6.
Zach's right.

2 dr - top over driver, top over front passenger, back right window, back left window, gunner hatch and full clamshell = 6.

4 dr - top over driver, top over front passenger, 2nd row seat section, back right window, back left window and full clamshell = 6.

Sponsored

ironmike

Raptor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Not sure it this helps clear up any confusion regarding the tops folks. Got this from my dealer last week. Hope it helps the cause.

image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg
So in both the 2dr and 4dr configs of the Mod Top, the removable windows are counted as 2 modules of the 6?

FordOwner

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a few
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure it this helps clear up any confusion regarding the tops folks. Got this from my dealer last week. Hope it helps the cause.

image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg
This actually is helpful. I hadn't seen this previously. (Not that I was really looking for it) Thanks for sharing! I find it interesting that the Bronco Packaging Guide stickied late yesterday mentions the MIC top is Carbonized Gray.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This actually is helpful. I hadn't seen this previously. (Not that I was really looking for it) Thanks for sharing! I find it interesting that the Bronco Packaging Guide stickied late yesterday mentions the MIC top is Carbonized Gray.
So does this document. (Which is great and I wish existed months ago when no one could wrap their head around top differences.)

The mic top was always listed as Carb Gray as is the fenders. They were supposed to match and for the longest time they didn’t. The most recent photos show them matching much better.
Sponsored

Last edited: