Sponsored

Can 1 person remove/put on MIC top on a 2D? -advice on different soft/bikini tops?

VailDan

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D Badlands(2023)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi Guys,

I am planning on ordering a 2D BL on Wednesday. I am thinking that putting the MIC top on/off is probably a 2 person job, and probably not practical when adding/removing every few days for rain in the summer, but if anyone besides Shaq has managed to get under it, on their head, etc and do it themselves, let me know.

So I am probably going to get a MIC for winter only, and either a full soft top or a small/easy bikini top(front row only that is quick and easily stowable)if that exists

Is ABAAP(Top/Retractable/Full Twill Sft - $2480)just the normal soft top? Is that for the 2D or the 4D? Is that something where I would just throw the windows in.a bag or something for scratch protection and keep them under the back seat? or roll them up pretty tight and keep them behind the back seat without taking up too much trunk/sticking up too much? Does that soft top take up a lot of room and look like a baby carriage when folded back? Is it easy to remove if I would rather just pull it off and throw it in the garage on nice days, instead of folding it back? -
-Is that the same top that is $2k in the 2021 configurator?

Is ABAAR(Top - Soft Canvas, Bimini - $390)a canvas bikini top for the front-row only? Something I can easily fold up and always keep under the back seat or something if I get caught out in the rain? - Bikini tops on the Jeeps use to simply stretch and velcro around both the roll & crossbar, so I am not sure if Ford even has a small simple canvas top that takes up no space and you can easily throw up without screwing in rails/brackets each time, etc.

I have the top down all the time in the summer when it is cloudy, etc. and get caught out in the rain often. I don't really care for anything mesh that lets water through, or anything that always takes up all your storage or takes a lot of time each time you get caught out in the rain.

Thanks,

Dan
Sponsored

Last edited:

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hi Guys,

I am planning on ordering a 2D BL on Wednesday. I am thinking that putting the MIC top on/off is probably a 2 person job, and probably not practical when adding/removing every few days for rain in the summer, but if anyone besides Shaq has managed to get under it, on their head, etc and do it themselves, let me know.

So I am probably going to get a MIC for winter only, and either a full soft top or a small/easy bikini top(front row only that is quick and easily stowable)if that exists

Is ABAAP(Top/Retractable/Full Twill Sft - $2480)just the normal soft top? Is that for the 2D or the 4D? Is that something where I would just throw the windows in.a bag or something for scratch protection and keep them under/behind the back seat? Is that the same top that is $2k in the 2021 configurator?

Is ABAAR(Top - Soft Canvas, Bimini - $390)a canvas bikini top for the front-row only? Something I can easily fold up and always keep under the back seat or something if I get caught out in the rain? - Bikini tops on the Jeeps use to simply stretch and velcro around both the roll & crossbar, so I am not sure if Ford even has a small simple canvas top that takes up no space and you can easily throw up without screwing in rails/brackets each time, etc.

I have the top down all the time in the summer when it is cloudy, etc. and get caught out in the rain often. I don't really care for anything mesh that lets water through, or anything that takes more than a minute or so each time you want to use it.

Thanks,

Dan
Lot's'o Bronco folk put a pulley on their garage ceiling and then dangle 4 hooks from the pulley. Let the hooks down, loosen the top, attach your hooks (right in the mounting boltholes, maybe) and pull it up to the roof, if you have the room. Tie that off and put on your softie. Some people go all wacky and motorize it, but only if you have to... The older gen tops were a lot heavier, so this should work. If your ceiling is not super tall, you might be able to just get it free and then drive out from under it.

OP
OP
VailDan

VailDan

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D Badlands(2023)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lot's'o Bronco folk put a pulley on their garage ceiling and then dangle 4 hooks from the pulley. Let the hooks down, loosen the top, attach your hooks (right in the mounting boltholes, maybe) and pull it up to the roof, if you have the room. Tie that off and put on your softie. Some people go all wacky and motorize it, but only if you have to... The older gen tops were a lot heavier, so this should work. If your ceiling is not super tall, you might be able to just get it free and then drive out from under it.
Yes - That is exactly what I was going to do with the modular top where I could pop out the windows and hook into the clamshell there, but with the MIC I am concerned it might be a little tougher for 1 person

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yes - That is exactly what I was going to do with the modular top where I could pop out the windows and hook into the clamshell there, but with the MIC I am concerned it might be a little tougher for 1 person
I don't think it is a problem, really. When you get your top, just gauge how big/what size the clamps would be to go under the side edges. Gravity, and some padding are our friends here. Could even be just some long bolts in the top mounting holes and loops on the end of your 4 danglers.

Sponsored
OP
OP
VailDan

VailDan

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D Badlands(2023)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
TopLiftPro has a product for the Bronco coming out soon. It’ll be like $1k so not cheap, but it will make hardtop removal a 1 person job easy
I might just try to rig something up for that price, and that is why I wanted the modular because it looks nicer, kills the highway sound a lot better, and had windows that pop out where you can hook into. Problem is I think they is minimum 2 years away for the people who did not order one already.

Do you guys know anything about the bimini top? Is that a simple bikini that has velcro that goes around the side frames? If I buy it, and they make a huge production about screwing in extra frames/brackets, etc it just is not worth it to me. Maybe I need to start a different thread on the tops

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I might just try to rig something up for that price, and that is why I wanted the modular because it looks nicer, kills the highway sound a lot better, and had windows that pop out where you can hook into. Problem is I think they is minimum 2 years away for the people who did not order one already.

Do you guys know anything about the bimini top? Is that a simple bikini that has velcro that goes around the side frames? If I buy it, and they make a huge production about screwing in extra frames/brackets, etc it just is not worth it to me. Maybe I need to start a different thread on the tops
I’m with you! I wanted a MOD too so bad! But Ford can’t make them quick enough :(

Rendo

Wildtrak
First Name
Rene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm gonna be going with a pulley system from these guys, J-Barr. It's a setup for one person and you can use your power drill to make it motorized. Price for the Jeep ones are listed at $349, so not too pricey. Just gotta wait for my Bronco to come in hopefully next week to measure for a custom setup.
Sponsored