Sponsored

Definitive answer for running 4 door with only rear clamshell removed?

Clean68

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Bronco, 2008 Triumph Thuxton
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Anyone tried to drive at highway speeds with the 4door MIC top and remove only the rear clamshell? Leaving the front and mid panels on? Searched high and low for a definitive answer and have yet to find one.
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anyone tried to drive at highway speeds with the 4door MIC top and remove only the rear clamshell? Leaving the front and mid panels on? Searched high and low for a definitive answer and have yet to find one.
Yes, I have on several occasions without issue albeit under 70mph.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you use a bungie or twovon the back edge of the mid panel I would feel safer following you. With rear edge entirely loose you are baiting disaster

ET13

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The way these panels independently latch onto the actual bronco im sure it would be fine as long as it isnt too bumpy. A lot being made that it cant latch to the back clamshell but i just dont see that being that big of an issue overall

jacknifetoaswan

Wildtrak
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Can you do it? It seems so. Are you opening yourself up to a lot of liability by doing it? Definitely.

JR

Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you were looking for a definitive answer all you had to do is consult the owners manual.

Ford Bronco Definitive answer for running 4 door with only rear clamshell removed? 1682523524424

That being said, I would not run at highway speeds in your proposed configuration without fabricating some sort of clamp / bracket to secure the back edge of the mid panel (along the edge where the mid panel would latch to the clamshell). And no, a bungee cord or two is not the answer.

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think the manual has your answer, especially considering that if anything happened you'd be liable as you are going against the manufacturer's specs.

That being said, I haven't had my rear top off yet, but it looks like both side latches from the mid top latch on the the rear top. So, those, plus the middle latch, account for more than half of the 5 latches. That would make me very nervous having only 2 of the 5 latches latched. However, the front 2 latches are the much more solid type of latch, coupled with some pins from the top holding it in place, means it might be more secure than I initially thought. I think it might be OK, but do not recommend it ;)

Also, thinking about this, I think the biggest issue and why it is in the manual is in case of an accident. Normal driving you're probably fine, but get in a wreck and those tops are going airborne ;)

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Done it on my 2dr many times. The front panels still have 3 out of 4 latches holding it down.

If you were looking for a definitive answer all you had to do is consult the owners manual.

Ford Bronco Definitive answer for running 4 door with only rear clamshell removed? 1682523524424

That being said, I would not run at highway speeds in your proposed configuration without fabricating some sort of clamp / bracket to secure the back edge of the mid panel (along the edge where the mid panel would latch to the clamshell). And no, a bungee cord or two is not the answer.

Thats just ford covering their ass so they cant be held responsible if something were to happen.

Gladdox

Outer Banks
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4D Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Why not just take the whole thing off and get the Bimini shade? Or is there some other effect you’re trying to achieve?

ET13

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Why not just take the whole thing off and get the Bimini shade? Or is there some other effect you’re trying to achieve?
For me it would be the open air feel but also if some rain catches you youre not soaked.
Sponsored