Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Flex, 2016 Explorer, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Obviously the shitshow that is Webasto's production of Molded-in-Color hardtops for Bronco has caused issues throughout the last year, and now seeing dozens of Broncos parked outside of MAP with "Bad Roof" chalked on their windows isn't helping matters.

With 2 weeks under my belt on my 2021 Big Bend 4-door with MIC, I was asked to share photos and impressions of one of the "good" tops.

To start, it's important to understand that this isn't simply a single-piece molded roof. Each panel has 3 structural components: A thick, textured outer laminate piece, a thin, inner laminate piece, and a core of honeycomb to balance strength and weight.

The exterior of my roof is uniform in both color and texture. All edges are smooth and consistent. The "bad" units appear to suffer inconsistencies in color and texture of the exterior finish, with edges that are jagged and in some cases showing early signs of delamination. The interior is about what I expected from similar composite roof shells. It has an okay finish but is obviously not designed to look as polished as the exterior. There is some variance in color, and in broader flat sections of the roof the shape of the honeycomb structure is visible. I suspect that the inclusion of the free headliner was to cover these inconsistencies. Not necessarily quality issues, as that is the design of this type of roof, but to provide a more polished interior finish.

All my panels are square and straight, and the latches are aligned perfectly. Each panel latch gives you a reassuring "click" when you've reached the fully closed portion, and the ease of use in removing and replacing the 3 forward panels is superb. I have yet to remove the clamshell as we've had rain chances nearly every day for the last 2 weeks, but the 6 bolts necessary for removal are easily accessible and the process seems straightforward.
Ford Bronco Delivered MIC Hardtop Roof: Close-up Pics of Exterior, Interior Finishes 20210712_095300
Ford Bronco Delivered MIC Hardtop Roof: Close-up Pics of Exterior, Interior Finishes 20210712_095248
Ford Bronco Delivered MIC Hardtop Roof: Close-up Pics of Exterior, Interior Finishes 20210712_094724
Ford Bronco Delivered MIC Hardtop Roof: Close-up Pics of Exterior, Interior Finishes 20210712_094615
Ford Bronco Delivered MIC Hardtop Roof: Close-up Pics of Exterior, Interior Finishes 20210712_094603
Ford Bronco Delivered MIC Hardtop Roof: Close-up Pics of Exterior, Interior Finishes 20210712_094542
Ford Bronco Delivered MIC Hardtop Roof: Close-up Pics of Exterior, Interior Finishes 20210712_094517
Ford Bronco Delivered MIC Hardtop Roof: Close-up Pics of Exterior, Interior Finishes 20210712_094506
Ford Bronco Delivered MIC Hardtop Roof: Close-up Pics of Exterior, Interior Finishes 20210711_134329
Ford Bronco Delivered MIC Hardtop Roof: Close-up Pics of Exterior, Interior Finishes 20210711_134322
Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, I guess the silver lining if Ford is catching these “bad roofs” and holding the units back. I have to assume their QC is working, as your roof looks pretty good!

GABroncin

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar E-Pace, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great pics. Thank you for sharing them. Really gives a better picture of what we're looking at on these.

OP
OP
PREMiERdrum

PREMiERdrum

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Flex, 2016 Explorer, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Well, I guess the silver lining if Ford is catching these “bad roofs” and holding the units back. I have to assume their QC is working.
There have been more than a few delivered with etched windows and some sketchy roof edges, as I think MAP got a little too zealous in pushing them out. As of this morning's production restart I do NOT envision that happening again.

Sponsored

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks. So zero evidence of any area with jagged edges and fibers coming out? I saw that on a 2 door demo around the bottom of the rear side window on the interior side. So hoping that was limited to demo level quality.

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting. I wonder what a bad roof looks like?

I've seem some posts where folks claim they've seen reviews of bad roofs. Any links to those?

MUDLVR

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What is the material that the sound deadening liner is made of? Is it felt?

Sponsored

Oceannomad

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Phew, makes me feel a little better. I was about ready to panic and go to a soft top or delay to let them smooth out these bumps (not as if mine has been scheduled though). Still suggest ya'll do some thorough checks upon delivery to make sure you didn't get a bad batch.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Looks good, now can they produce 30000. [Edit:] 250 a day between now and mid November?

Last edited:

Jubear

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thank for info

BuffaloBronco87

Outer Banks
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Does the roof have anything to do with Broncos being built 6/30 and sooner but not yet shipped?
This is my current thought. I have a 6/29 build date and no news on it. It being "In Production" while waiting on a new roof would make sense to me. I have confirmation it's been built, but that's it
Sponsored