Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm glad I came across this thread! Thats for the education guys.

I've got 5 quarts of Valvoline 75W90 on the shelf for my boat's lower unit, I am 500 shy of 10k on the clock and I've forded it 5 or 6 times. I know what else to add to that 10k service. I Think I'll use what I have, then go to 75W140 when I run out (now that I know to change after fording).

Thanks for the PSA
Sponsored

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I changed mine out for really only 2 reasons...

1) I wanted to go the best Full Synth...Amsoil (at least in the Diffs)

2) I didn't trust that Ford filled them correctly.

Now that I've done it, other than maybe the t-case (because it was super easy and running LV non-synth)...I have no intention on touching my diffs again for a very long time.
100%

My Corvette's trans was WAY overfilled. When I pulled the fill plug fluid POURED out everywhere. I was not ready for it and got ATF everywhere.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Re-useable gasket is on the front and rear differentials?

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

msujay2012

Wildtrak
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I drained and refilled front and rear diffs and transfer case last weekend. 15k mileage. Straightforward except thought I would add the following tips:
  1. Make sure you have a good fluid transfer system to fill. The fill holes on the Bronco aren't terribly hard to get to, but you will need some good flexible hose to avoid a huge mess.
  2. Carefully pull the brake line mounts off the bolt. I used panel clip pliers, which worked really well. Not something you want to break and I doubt local dealers stock this part.
  3. Follow the tightening sequence for the torqueing the rear differential bolts. Found here.
My front diff wasn't bad, but the rear diff fluid was chocolate in color. I'm glad I did the drain/refill and used better fluids. I plan to keep the cadence at 15k-20k since I drive off-road a decent amount and it is cheap/easy maintenance.

Sponsored

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I drained and refilled front and rear diffs and transfer case last weekend. 15k mileage. Straightforward except thought I would add the following tips:
  1. Make sure you have a good fluid transfer system to fill. The fill holes on the Bronco aren't terribly hard to get to, but you will need some good flexible hose to avoid a huge mess.
  2. Carefully pull the brake line mounts off the bolt. I used panel clip pliers, which worked really well. Not something you want to break and I doubt local dealers stock this part.
  3. Follow the tightening sequence for the torqueing the rear differential bolts. Found here.
My front diff wasn't bad, but the rear diff fluid was chocolate in color. I'm glad I did the drain/refill and used better fluids. I plan to keep the cadence at 15k-20k since I drive off-road a decent amount and it is cheap/easy maintenance.
I don't suppose you have a link to that same data but for the 2.3, would you?

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I finished mine Sunday no problems and agree you need a pump for the transfer case. All my fluids that came out looked decent for 10k. I will say the front diff had the most on the magnet. I went with Valvoline 75W140 both diffs because I am in a warm climate so don't have to worry about sub zero temps and I wheel mine a lot so the added heavy duty is a plus.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If you use this, you will not need a pump - https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-10106B-FloTool-Filler-Refill/dp/B000EH4UXM

The brake line clips are not available separately--they can only be purchased with the left brake line assembly which is about $80:

Part #MB3Z-2282-C > Tube Assy - Brake LH

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Do you have the torque specs for the 2.3?
Rear Axle Cover Bolts = 22-25ft-lbs.
Axle & Transfer Case Fill/Drain Plugs = 22 ft-lbs.

Was it something else?

Last edited:

msujay2012

Wildtrak
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

msujay2012

Wildtrak
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Rear Axle Cover Bolts = 22-25ft-lbs.
Axle & Transfer Case Fill/Drain Plugs = 22 ft-lbs.

Was it something else?
Thanks for your help. I was responding to @KyTruckPlant so not sure if he was looking for specific torque specs for the 2.3.

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks. I have that filler and it wouldn’t work for the diffs since the fill hole is up too high to pour down.
How's that? It worked on my Wildtrak...with the OEM and now with the Ford Performance one.
Sponsored