dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

So I installed my fogs last weekend. My driveway is steep AF, so in order to line them up, I had to go find an empty wall on a flat surface. Luckily my son is practicing baseball in this industrial park, so I was able to drop him off and then go find an empty garage door.

anyway. I have 2 sets of lights. 1 yellow, 1 white. I looked it up online and it said to measure the distance up from the road to the fogs (~23inches), park 25ft away from a straight wall and then measure the same distance from the road to the wall you're shining on. Then measure 4 inches below that, and that's where the top of your fogs should line up. Easy enough.

I did all that, and here is the result. (With headlights off)

PXL_20220306_000008492.jpg
PXL_20220306_000020227.jpg

What is bothering me is the curvature upward.
Then I remember, because of the bracket design, the fogs are actually installed upside down.
Could this be a result of that?
Has anyone else experienced this?
Is there something I can do about this?
Or is this normal?
I'm afraid of blinding any oncoming traffic.

Oh, and here's a pic with the headlights on, for what it's worth. The arch isn't too much higher than the headlights. So maybe it's ok?

PXL_20220306_000043015.MP.jpg
an observation, But with the kit that Diode Dynamics sells for Bronco an SS3 pod light would go where you have the yellow light goes and the SSC2 pods are typically push all the way to the outside.

Just wondering is postponing could be contributing to you issue
Sponsored

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The kits that Diode puts out give you a FOG for the SS3 and COMBOS for the 2x SSC2.

Our kits that we put together with our KR Off-Road brackets let you choose what lights you want.

Some folks want a bigger Combo light as their SS3 and SAE fog on the 2 smaller, which makes sense. you could do a white and a yellow SAE. But when you do that, you just need to flip the SSC2 fog lenses is all (and there are 2 tiny nubs you just have to shave off, real easy, as these are used by Diode to help install the fog lens properly during the build process, just speeds up the process).

On our demo truck we're currently rocking an SS3 Max White SAE Fog and then 2x SSC2 Pro Driving (one in white, one in amber).

We have the driving aimed at the same height as our low beams, slightly higher and use them as additional "highs" when we're alone on the road. And the fog is used all the time for the SS3 Max. Works very well and keeps the flush look.

OP
OP
PowPow

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have them too. DD confirmed that the SS3 pods MUST be right side up (as confirmed by the D on the lens). The SS2s have to go upside down because it is the only way the brackets fit. Also I found that if the SS3 bracket goes above the mount tongue it centers the pod in the opening.
I have the SSC2's.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In fog only or combo pattern?

Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
fog only.
I did find that the folks at DD actually pick up the phone and they are super helpful...I'd give them a call and confirm whether or not their SS2 is happy being upside down or not and if warranty is impacted by taking the lens apart. As you have already discovered the unit itself can't be flipped due to the design of the housing and the top mounting location.

OP
OP
PowPow

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I did find that the folks at DD actually pick up the phone and they are super helpful...I'd give them a call and confirm whether or not their SS2 is happy being upside down or not and if warranty is impacted by taking the lens apart. As you have already discovered the unit itself can't be flipped due to the design of the housing and the top mounting location.
Thanks. Although, I'm fairly confident after some troubleshooting that it's not the lights, and is definitely the bracket. It, unfortunately, wasn't designed to account for the slanted fog pocket. I'd imagine everyone with my same set up will have the same exact issues. Maybe others just don't care?

I've yet to add any washers on the high side (that's the best solution I've been able to come up with). So I don't know for 100% that'll fix it. But I'm willing to bet it will. Once I get the bracket level, I can then get the beams to focus in the correct spot and not "smile".

Other option I thought about is maybe 3d printing a plastic 'shim' that can go between the bracket and bumper. But I'll have to bug my buddy with a 3d printer on that one. 😁

see my post below:
for anyone still following... it's definitely the pocket that's angled.

Level:
1647030417281.png

Not level:

1647030385017.png

1647030396401.png

maybe a washer between the bracket and one of the screws? to level out the bracket?

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks. Although, I'm fairly confident after some troubleshooting that it's not the lights, and is definitely the bracket. It, unfortunately, wasn't designed to account for the slanted fog pocket. I'd imagine everyone with my same set up will have the same exact issues. Maybe others just don't care?

I've yet to add any washers on the high side (that's the best solution I've been able to come up with). So I don't know for 100% that'll fix it. But I'm willing to bet it will. Once I get the bracket level, I can then get the beams to focus in the correct spot and not "smile".

Other option I thought about is maybe 3d printing a plastic 'shim' that can go between the bracket and bumper. But I'll have to bug my buddy with a 3d printer on that one. 😁

see my post below:
No, it's the lights. This is why Diode Dynamics DOES NOT have a Fog kit for the Broncos with SSC2 Fogs. It's because the lights would hang upside down and the pattern would arc the wrong way. I've confirmed this with them.

With our kits, since we let you CHOOSE the lights, if you decide to go with SSC2 Fog patterns you have to flip the lenses 180 degrees to solve the issue.

The arc is part of the lens. Diode confirmed they put the indexing tabs on the back of the lens for production reasons. It's easier for their staff to index the lens properly without it possibly being upside down. You can simply shave off the little index portion of the lens (which Diode has confirmed does the trick, it's been discussed many times in our dealer pages).

OP
OP
PowPow

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No, it's the lights. This is why Diode Dynamics DOES NOT have a Fog kit for the Broncos with SSC2 Fogs. It's because the lights would hang upside down and the pattern would arc the wrong way. I've confirmed this with them.

With our kits, since we let you CHOOSE the lights, if you decide to go with SSC2 Fog patterns you have to flip the lenses 180 degrees to solve the issue.

The arc is part of the lens. Diode confirmed they put the indexing tabs on the back of the lens for production reasons. It's easier for their staff to index the lens properly without it possibly being upside down. You can simply shave off the little index portion of the lens (which Diode has confirmed does the trick, it's been discussed many times in our dealer pages).
got it. Thx. I'll give that a try then and see what happens.

Do you have a pic of these indexing tabs you speak of?

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

No I don't. But if you look at the back of the lens they are 2 tiny little notches that stick up. They index with 2 notches on the light itself. You just have to shave them off. Real easy

Sponsored

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Here is a photo of one of the two tabs. Very small. You just need to cut it off

Ford Bronco Diode Dynamics Fog Light Curve? 1649786399305

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

OP
OP
PowPow

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

So I finally got around to this. Days were longer, and a super dry summer didn't really ever give me a reason to use them. But with winter coming, I decided to give this a shot.

So when opening the housing, I noticed that I was just able to flip the whole lense without having to shave anything. Will this work?

Start:
Ford Bronco Diode Dynamics Fog Light Curve? PXL_20220905_160905263.MP

(Notice SAE in bottom left)

Casing removed:
Ford Bronco Diode Dynamics Fog Light Curve? PXL_20220905_160919646

And then I just flipped the lense to result in this:

Ford Bronco Diode Dynamics Fog Light Curve? PXL_20220905_160943489

Notice the SAE upside down in the upper right corner. Which is the way it'll be mounted.

Gotta wait till darkness to test and align. But I would think in theory, this should work...

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So I finally got around to this. Days were longer, and a super dry summer didn't really ever give me a reason to use them. But with winter coming, I decided to give this a shot.

So when opening the housing, I noticed that I was just able to flip the whole lense without having to shave anything. Will this work?

Start:

(Notice SAE in bottom left)

Casing removed:

And then I just flipped the lense to result in this:

Notice the SAE upside down in the upper right corner. Which is the way it'll be mounted.

Gotta wait till darkness to test and align. But I would think in theory, this should work...
You have to shave off the little nub on the back of the lens so that it sits properly - otherwise the lens will stick out a bit
Sponsored