James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Ford Mustang Fastback, 2011 Ford Mustang G
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So before anyone jumps all over me, I know there are some really good kits and setups out there and I am all for quality and you get what you pay for. But... Paying $1000 for what amounts to some accessory lighting for me just wasn't in my budget.

I'm not finished yet, but I am happy with the results so far and thought I would share my project in case anyone else was in the same boat. I wish there was a middle ground between the $1000 setup and the China cheap but right now there isn't.

I thought about the $130 brackets and using my own lights but to be honest I wasn't sure if they would support any light. And I like to do things myself. I don't have any special skills or tools. Anyone here could do what I did.

Parts:
9x18 inch sheet metal 18 gauge (I had it laying around in my garage but it's like $15 at Lowe's... I looked for aluminum or zinc but couldn't find one so I will just painted it)

Two 3 inch Amber LED pods 50w ($32 pair)
Four 2 inch LED pods ($25 pair - I wanted 2x3 rectangles but couldn't find them. My only complaint... I wish they spread out a bit more.)

Total cost $97 (really $82 because I already had the metal sheet plus primer and paint I already had.)

I cut the sheet in half to make two 9x9 sheets. I drilled holes to attach the brackets at the 3 Torx bolts at the top of the pocket, then traced and trimmed the excess in front to match the bumper with my Sawzall.

Then I used a vice, 1x3 block of wood and mini sledge hammer to bend the bracket into the "S" shape. The second bend was tricky. I had to use 4" C clamps to hold it to the wood then made the second bend. Then I drilled the holes for lights.

The first bracket took me a little over an hour going back and forth measuring. Second bracket took about 15 minutes. All told I'm pleased with how it turned out. I primed them and I'm either going to just paint black or use rubberized undercoating on them.

Before I mount the lights I'm going to silicone the caps. The reviews are great but the biggest complaint is water intrusion. I have high end lights that have water too so... I figured at under $100 for all 6 lights I could replace them ten times and still be ahead.

This won't be for everyone but if you're just looking for something that looks good for a budget price I think this fits the bill.

I welcome any feedback or suggestions on how I could do things better. Thanks.

PXL_20211231_181303758.jpg

PXL_20211231_173221337.jpg

PXL_20211231_181258253.jpg

PXL_20211231_172213110.jpg

PXL_20211231_181359030.jpg

PXL_20211231_181347701.jpg

PXL_20211231_181253855.jpg

PXL_20211231_172940565.jpg

PXL_20211231_173154718.jpg

PXL_20211231_181329240.jpg
Sponsored

72BroncoSand

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco, 77 f-150, Jetta Tdi, 1ton
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I needed to see this! Well done, looks great! Happy New Year!

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m not going to criticize as I appreciate DIY solutions. I will say that I wouldn’t run those lights on my Badlands.

The middle ground between $1000 and chinesium: A basic set of two Diode Dynamics lights from @4x4TruckLEDs.com only costs $436 and will look and work great. Their 3 light kit is $597. Use coupon code FOGS for 5% off the listed prices. These kits include the brackets and a nice wiring harness.

https://www.4x4truckleds.com/diode-...-w-kr-off-road-brackets-for-2021-ford-bronco/

https://www.4x4truckleds.com/diode-...-w-kr-off-road-brackets-for-2021-ford-bronco/

Last edited:

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So before anyone jumps all over me, I know there are some really good kits and setups out there and I am all for quality and you get what you pay for. But... Paying $1000 for what amounts to some accessory lighting for me just wasn't in my budget.

I'm not finished yet, but I am happy with the results so far and thought I would share my project in case anyone else was in the same boat. I wish there was a middle ground between the $1000 setup and the China cheap but right now there isn't.

I thought about the $130 brackets and using my own lights but to be honest I wasn't sure if they would support any light. And I like to do things myself. I don't have any special skills or tools. Anyone here could do what I did.

Parts:
9x18 inch sheet metal 18 gauge (I had it laying around in my garage but it's like $15 at Lowe's... I looked for aluminum or zinc but couldn't find one so I will just painted it)

Four 2 inch LED pods ($25 pair - I wanted 2x3 rectangles but couldn't find them. My only complaint... I wish they spread out a bit more.)

Total cost $97 (really $82 because I already had the metal sheet plus primer and paint I already had.)

I cut the sheet in half to make two 9x9 sheets. I drilled holes to attach the brackets at the 3 Torx bolts at the top of the pocket, then traced and trimmed the excess in front to match the bumper with my Sawzall.

Then I used a vice, 1x3 block of wood and mini sledge hammer to bend the bracket into the "S" shape. The second bend was tricky. I had to use 4" C clamps to hold it to the wood then made the second bend. Then I drilled the holes for lights.

The first bracket took me a little over an hour going back and forth measuring. Second bracket took about 15 minutes. All told I'm pleased with how it turned out. I primed them and I'm either going to just paint black or use rubberized undercoating on them.

Before I mount the lights I'm going to silicone the caps. The reviews are great but the biggest complaint is water intrusion. I have high end lights that have water too so... I figured at under $100 for all 6 lights I could replace them ten times and still be ahead.

This won't be for everyone but if you're just looking for something that looks good for a budget price I think this fits the bill.

Ford Bronco DIY Budget Bumper Pocket Light Setup PXL_20211231_181329240

Nice job, looks functional and if it’s effective, you hit a home run! It’s part of the fun, messing around with different ideas and doing some fabrication!

Sponsored

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That looks great, nice job!

CHALK911

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Ram 2500, 74 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Parts:

As a DIY, shade-tree wanna-be fabricator, I say "well done".

How about so nighttime shots showing how well they work.

OP
OP
SigSauer226

SigSauer226

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m not going to criticize as I appreciate DIY solutions. I will say that I wouldn’t run those lights on my Badlands.

The middle ground between $1000 and chinesium. A basic set of two Diode Dynamics lights from @4x4TruckLEDs.com only costs $436 and will look and work great. Their 3 light kit is $597. Use coupon code FOGS for 5% off the listed prices. These kits include the brackets and a nice wiring harness.

Agreed, it's not for everyone. I'm not averse to spending money but the reason I was able to buy a Badlands Sasquatch with Lux package is because I drove my 2002 Explorer for 19 years. It's all about what it's worth for you. For me, I would rather spend it on other things. I like the pocket lights but I don't need them. This solution worked well for me, but those DD lights are in the sweet spot too.

Happy New Year

OP
OP
SigSauer226

SigSauer226

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As a DIY, shade-tree wanna-be fabricator, I say "well done".

How about so nighttime shots showing how well they work.
They're not on right now. That was just test fitting them. I am painting the brackets and still have to wire them up. I'll post pics when done.

Thanks.

Sponsored

SASProbie

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Windup Toy
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well done! There can be several good things that come of this. It is your story, enjoy the ride!

And how dare you do what you want to do with your own Bronco. Blasphemy‼:ROFLMAO:

BTW... With these only having a single mounting point, you may get vibrations in certain conditions. When I did mine on one of my Jeeps, I had to rework the brackets to add a second mounting point to get rid of the poor lights getting their life vibrated out of them. And boy, not the best thing to have in certain off-road situations...

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Agreed, it's not for everyone. I'm not averse to spending money but the reason I was able to buy a Badlands Sasquatch with Lux package is because I drove my 2002 Explorer for 19 years. It's all about what it's worth for you. For me, I would rather spend it on other things. I like the pocket lights but I don't need them. This solution worked well for me, but those DD lights are in the sweet spot too.

Happy New Year
The SAE fog and driving lights from DD are useful on the road and won’t earn you a ticket, so I use them every time I drive at night instead of just offroad. Their amber fog lights are amazing in inclement conditions. I agree with not spending big money on a light bar or ditch/roof lights as they are seldom used.

OP
OP
SigSauer226

SigSauer226

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well done! There can be several good things that come of this. It is your story, enjoy the ride!

And how dare you do what you want to do with your own Bronco. Blasphemy‼:ROFLMAO:

BTW... With these only having a single mounting point, you may get vibrations in certain conditions. When I did mine on one of my Jeeps, I had to rework the brackets to add a second mounting point to get rid of the poor lights getting their life vibrated out of them. And boy, not the best thing to have in certain off-road situations...
Yeah I've thought of that. But as far as I can tell the brackets already out there are only using the same three bolts. The steel is really solid. And I left the sheet solid for extra strength. I don't think it will be a problem but if it is, there is a side bolt on that pocket and I have a roll of galvanized pipe hanging metal strap 3/4" thick with holes that I can secure there and then up to the lights so there is support from a different angle. But I tried to wiggle them when they were up there and it's better than I thought it would be. I don't think they're gonna move.

BTW I looked and see the Diode Dynamic bracket is on sale for only $101. I would probably jump all over that but they are backordered at least a month plus wherever you are in line. For me, I had the metal laying around and this idea has been in my head for a while. I wanted to see if it would work. Someone with better skills than me could easily make something better with minimal effort.

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They're not on right now. That was just test fitting them. I am painting the brackets and still have to wire them up. I'll post pics when done.

Thanks.
Nice, but I have a feeling you will probably ride with those a while and contemplate on how your going to make them even better. 👏
Sponsored