Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Well done. This is great stuff. We took delivery of a 2 door BD last week and opted out of the factory "sound deadening" in order to follow a similar path. It sounds like you had a significant improvement on the road/wind noise and I am sooo glad to hear that.

If you did it again, would you change anything on the Dynamat products? I was going to do the same thing on the first two layers, but then cover those with a carbon fiber wrap vinyl in lieu of the carpet.
Big improvement! The only thing I would change, just because I had room to spare - was thicker Dynaliner foam. I got 1/8 thick, and they sell thicker ones (might have even gone 1/2 inch).
Sponsored

bdub2you

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They were out of pink velvet. I don't drink tea with my pinky out, friend - I'm not fancy. The real upgrade (and cost) was the sound deadening and insulating material - the carpet just hides that. I picked it because I liked the rugged but thin properties.
Total cost? Before ford offered free headliner I planned on going with the hothead headliner they had been planning to release, but honestly I think it's crazy to have turned down the free headliner.

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

After finding out the Ford NVH headliner is essentially $480 carpet, I decided to make my own headliner. For $260 I got:

* Dynamat mats (67 Mil thick - butyl rubber with aluminum backing, self-adhesive)
* 1/8 thick Dynaliner closed/open cell foam (self-adhesive)
* Some charcoal grey indoor/outdoor carpet

Here's the finished driver's side, in comparison to the bare MIC on the passenger side:

PXL_20211125_215018868.jpg

It was relatively simple:

Step 1: Clean and prep surface
Step 2: Apply sound deadener wherever it wasn't obstructing the latches or the weather stripping where it's seated on the vehicle.
Step 3: Apply closed/open cell foam to the recessed parts of the top for increased sound deadening/insultation.
Step 4: Measure and cut some carpet, I used a combination of Gorilla spray glue and well-placed VHB/3M strips.

Result: The sound improved greatly, and that's what I was looking for - still noisier than a Prius of course, but night and day compared to the bare MIC.

PXL_20211125_213816227.jpg

PXL_20211126_161404529.jpg
Looks primo, never would have thought of that even though I have used it in doors, et
After finding out the Ford NVH headliner is essentially $480 carpet, I decided to make my own headliner. For $260 I got:

* Dynamat mats (67 Mil thick - butyl rubber with aluminum backing, self-adhesive)

Here's the finished driver's side, in comparison to the bare MIC on the passenger side:

PXL_20211125_215018868.jpg

Step 2: Apply sound deadener wherever it wasn't obstructing the latches or the weather stripping where it's seated on the vehicle.
Step 3: Apply closed/open cell foam to the recessed parts of the top for increased sound deadening/insultation.
Step 4: Measure and cut some carpet, I used a combination of Gorilla spray glue and well-placed VHB/3M strips.

Result: The sound improved greatly, and that's what I was looking for - still noisier than a Prius of course, but night and day compared to the bare MIC.

PXL_20211125_213816227.jpg

PXL_20211126_161404529.jpg
Looks primo. Does Velcro hookside stick to it, I'm hanging stuff from my headliner and drive with my windows down unless it's raining or freezing.

OP
OP
porjos

porjos

Black Diamond
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Total cost? Before ford offered free headliner I planned on going with the hothead headliner they had been planning to release, but honestly I think it's crazy to have turned down the free headliner.
~$260 for the whole top. I was actually really interested in the Hothead liner. I saw a few videos of theirs and was really impressed, and was ready to throw my money at them. When I reached out last week, they stated they still had no ETA - and I didn't want to wait around months, maybe a year before they do start shipping them out - I like doing my own mods anyway.

I wanted quality my dude - I wasn't sold on the Ford headliner. From what I read, Dynamat is some of the best stuff you can get.

OP
OP
porjos

porjos

Black Diamond
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looks primo, never would have thought of that even though I have used it in doors, et

Looks primo. Does Velcro hookside stick to it, I'm hanging stuff from my headliner and drive with my windows down unless it's raining or freezing.
I did have leftovers that I put in the doors! Velcro doesn't stick to the fabric I chose, but interesting idea.

Sponsored

kbBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2019 Honda Rebel 300
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So I just started my custom headliner project too! I’m building removeable panels that will be cut to size, upholstered, then adhered using some heavy duty Velcro so they can easily come back off for resale later on! Here is the beginning!!! If successful I’ll have more in depth pictures of construction. Total cost so far : $70

Ford Bronco DIY Headliner using Dynamat and Dynaliner EBEB476A-359D-4DFB-8C7F-D3044756FF33

Last edited:

Shark1247

Badlands
First Name
Kelly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco DIY Headliner using Dynamat and Dynaliner EBEB476A-359D-4DFB-8C7F-D3044756FF33

I remember the headliner was supposed to come free with every MIC because of the big screw up first version and delays.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This could be another good way to eliminate the factory inner liner flocking from falling on you. Of course you would first have to remove it. I don't know how healthy the factory roof sound deadner /liner is after looking at it in a mannequin sitting at the dealership. We happened to catch it falling inside after brushing it with our hand, when the sun was behind us looking into the driver side. This is going to be a very dusty environment of which we will be breathing in. Just a thought to be concerned with for some.
I've had my MIC II OBX since October 21, have taken 2 or 3 panels off 3-5 days a week. The free factory headliner has been a non-issue, no shedding or flocking. No peeling or coming off. Its just there, quietly (!). MIC top has No rattles or shakes, no leaks in the rain. There used to be a whistle above 50-60mph, with top on or off, but that has mostly gone away. It is noisier than other cars above 60mph, general road, wind & tire noise, and I have the quieter OBX tires.

The first two panels unclip easily by 1 taller person, and store behind the front seat, in the back, or 1 of each, or in the garage. The 3rd panel is a 2 person job, and stores over the back seat of there's not much luggage or rear passengers, or in the garage.

Screenshot_20211127-001122_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20211127-000911_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm not going to lie, that sounds like a better plan - it took me two and a half afternoons for the way I did it...most of which was spent meticulously cutting & measuring the mats/foam/carpet so all the angles lined up just right.
Would be interested in knowing actual decibel or quality differences between factory and diy.

mustanggarage

Badlands
First Name
chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150, 65 mustang, 71 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wonder how lizard skin would work in this situation. it is amazing on my EB. I did the heat and sound shield and it made a very big difference.

Sponsored

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I did have leftovers that I put in the doors! Velcro doesn't stick to the fabric I chose, but interesting idea.
Nothing like leftovers put to good use. I may do the Dynatmat thing, and then carpetbomb it for Velcro.

cwhite

Badlands
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was originally under the assumption, based on the communications from Ford, that ALL hardtop builds would automatically get the "Complimentary Sound Deadening Headliner", but later read the update email again and saw that it wasn't the case for marine grade vinyl interior vehicles. Stinks that they promote it as a give-away ($495 value) to customers as a "thanks for sticking with us" gift... but only if you wanted that particular give-away. After seeing some videos of the flakey dust that rains down from the headliner, I'm glad I don't have it.

Seems like some type of neoprene would serve as a good sound-absorbing material, but honestly think the seams are the biggest culprit for the wind noise, and not sure how much a sectioned headliner will do for that.

My salesperson's own Bronco arrived at the dealership the same day as mine. By the time I picked mine up (about a week later), he had already installed Dynamat on the insides of the doors. Curious how much that helps quiet the cabin. Anyone else do this?

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was originally under the assumption, based on the communications from Ford, that ALL hardtop builds would automatically get the "Complimentary Sound Deadening Headliner", but later read the update email again and saw that it wasn't the case for marine grade vinyl interior vehicles. Stinks that they promote it as a give-away ($495 value) to customers as a "thanks for sticking with us" gift... but only if you wanted that particular give-away. After seeing some videos of the flakey dust that rains down from the headliner, I'm glad I don't have it.

Seems like some type of neoprene would serve as a good sound-absorbing material, but honestly think the seams are the biggest culprit for the wind noise, and not sure how much a sectioned headliner will do for that.

My salesperson's own Bronco arrived at the dealership the same day as mine. By the time I picked mine up (about a week later), he had already installed Dynamat on the insides of the doors. Curious how much that helps quiet the cabin. Anyone else do this?

What do you mean by the "insides" of the doors? As in, he took of the door panels and put Dynamat behind them?

Reactions: Cat
OP
OP
porjos

porjos

Black Diamond
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What do you mean by the "insides" of the doors? As in, he took of the door panels and put Dynamat behind them?
@cwhite

Can confirm, I did this (had some leftover)...Although with the 2 door there wasn't much real estate. On the two doors, there is some exposed metal on the interior that I didn't cover...and I also didn't cover a large portion of the inside middle (where the vapor barrier covers the access point for the interior of the door).

I wanted to make sure should anyone need access to the window mechanism that they wouldn't spend half an hour to remove it. I'm not honestly sure if it made enough of a difference, but the top certainly did.

cwhite

Badlands
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Exactly. Removed the door panels, and the Dynamat attaches to the inside of the outer door skin. There are a couple different companies offering this product right now.
Sponsored