First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Cockpit engineers take note: I'm of the camp that the factory dash grabs that compromise the flow of the adjacent air vents, while neat to look at and semi-stout-feeling, don't do much for a. hoisting bodies into the vehicle (front or rear seat) nor b. bracing during offroading (most will have to lean forward to reach them while seated; annoying and eventually uncomfortable). Pretty half-baked.

Since my 8yo gets plenty of dings on his legs from soccer and baseball and coercing my elder friends/family into the backseat of my 2dr will be hard enough, overhead grabs were a priority for me.

With the curtain airbags and lack of gap between the roll frame and window seals that leaves us with the recessed interior trim bolts as mounting options.

There are 3 bolts to each side that provide a couple different locations relative to the occupant. I went with the aft position due to my 2dr access concerns but the forward position may be slightly better for offroad bracing.

Rather than try to make the rubber handle/nylon webbing aftermarket grabs with mounting tabs work with the factory hex bolts (cap screws maybe if you're a hardware nerd) I decided to swap them with eyebolts and tie up my own paracord grabs between them.

The bolts are M6 and available on that big jungle Chinese-import-peddling site. I trimmed them to exact length with cutoff wheel (poking bolts too far into the roll frame at these locations is a BAD idea for multiple reasons, primarily that I don't know exactly where airbag modules or wiring live inside). Picked up I think 3/4 or 1" fender washers and drilled them out just slightly to fully seat on the eyebolt shoulders. Also roughed them up with 220grit and painted them semigloss black to hide.

I went with the 'King cobra' paracord pattern (youtube) which is really just a double up of the standard cobra pattern ran back over itself to make the grab fatter. Tied up 90 'stitches' on the core to get the 'droop' I was after.

Played around with colors that I thought would combine to coordinate with my bronze wheels but not sure I pulled that off.

Installed eyebolts to hand tight plus between 1/2 to 1 full turn until angled toward the droop of the grab.

Tied loose ends to other eyebolt with bowline knots - any knot gurus with better recommendation on this choice, I'd appreciate the comments!

Let me know if you have questions!

20210912_133219.jpg

20210829_151546.jpg

20210905_224801.jpg

20210908_202250.jpg

20210909_005600.jpg
Sponsored

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That was the ONE thing I missed at Super Cel West. I kept grabbing for that handle, and it kept not being there.

I don't know why Ford omitted overhead grab handles from their design. Doesn't make sense. The other handles just serve as pivot points every time you hit a bump.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My wife is short (5'2") and the grab handles at the front vent were useless for her to use to get into this past weekend. I noticed the airbags up top which may be why they didn't install grab handles up there. But I'll definitely have to find something for her aftermarket for her 4dr BL. She kept grabbing the steering wheel to use.

OP
OP
Bronkers

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model