Sponsored

Does anyone else’s headlights randomly turn on at night?

MrParticular

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
davidlauterbach.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7 Bronco, 1989 5.0 25th Anniversary Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I was witnessing this tonight, so came on here to search. My '22 BB has just been backed into the garage. Lights have been on for maybe 60 minutes now. I opened the passenger door around 30 mins to see if it did anything and now it's 30 mins later and lights are still on. I moved the key fob from it's perch 12 feet from the truck to inside the house 15 minutes ago and the lights are still on.

So I read something here that clicked... I back it into my garage only when the roof is off and I have some (so much) shit in here and tight walls that I have to exit via the passenger seat. So eventually I entered the passenger door and opened the drivers door and heard the "lights on" chirp for the first time! My foot most likely hit the head lamp dial to "B Parking Lamps on" (written as such in the owners manual). I have had it in "C Autolamps On" since I brought it home last month.

Moved it back to C, closed the doors and the lamps turned off in 30 (?) secs. So my bad, but just thought I would post this. I will obviously watch out for my feet when exiting from now on... but it seems pretty bad that the headlamps DON'T turn off after they have been on for a while... in my case at least 30 mins undisturbed.
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ironic that they will turn your fridge off in an hour but leave your lights on till it kills the battery.

Mjtermini

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2DR Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It’s happened a couple times now, has anyone else seen this?
Auto switch, if on, turns the bright lights on at night when there is no oncoming traffic. Part of the light package.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I was witnessing this tonight, so came on here to search. My '22 BB has just been backed into the garage. Lights have been on for maybe 60 minutes now. I opened the passenger door around 30 mins to see if it did anything and now it's 30 mins later and lights are still on. I moved the key fob from it's perch 12 feet from the truck to inside the house 15 minutes ago and the lights are still on.

So I read something here that clicked... I back it into my garage only when the roof is off and I have some (so much) shit in here and tight walls that I have to exit via the passenger seat. So eventually I entered the passenger door and opened the drivers door and heard the "lights on" chirp for the first time! My foot most likely hit the head lamp dial to "B Parking Lamps on" (written as such in the owners manual). I have had it in "C Autolamps On" since I brought it home last month.

Moved it back to C, closed the doors and the lamps turned off in 30 (?) secs. So my bad, but just thought I would post this. I will obviously watch out for my feet when exiting from now on... but it seems pretty bad that the headlamps DON'T turn off after they have been on for a while... in my case at least 30 mins undisturbed.
The battery saver circuit times out at 60 minutes. This kills headlamps, interior lighting, 12v outlets, etc.

MrParticular

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
davidlauterbach.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7 Bronco, 1989 5.0 25th Anniversary Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The battery saver circuit times out at 60 minutes. This kills headlamps, interior lighting, 12v outlets, etc.
So I must have waited 59 mins, but it bugs me so I will have to do it again so make sure :rolleyes:

Sponsored

Ggerobb

Black Diamond
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 jeep grand cherokee laredo, 2022 bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I dont know if this is the cause but I've noticed the switch is In The perfect place to be brushed by my knee as I'm getting out of my bronco.

tongsun3717

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X3
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hi there, Ted. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.
Hi FMC,

I have the same problem with the headlights, at least 6 times that I saw it happens, but must be more often since it can happen over nights in the closed garage. Has Ford had a solution? Or some progress toward a solution? Will this hurt the Bronco somehow? Thanks!

Last edited:

bniknar

Big Bend
First Name
Bri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An old EcoDriver
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hi FMC,

I have the same problem with the headlights, at least 6 times that I saw it happens, but must be more often since it can happen over nights in the closed garage. Has Ford had a solution? Or some progress toward a solution? Will this hurt the Bronco somehow? Thanks!
Mine does the same thing - happens once or twice a month on average. I thought I was brushing my knee against the light switch when exiting the vehicle so I'm being very careful not to, and it's still occurring. @Ford would be great to get a fix for this.

72F262

Big Bend
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BB 2D, '18 GT350, '72 F250 2wd, '72 Mach 1 CJ
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I dont know if this is the cause but I've noticed the switch is In The perfect place to be brushed by my knee as I'm getting out of my bronco.
This for sure. You don't even feel it, but that damn switch will rotate down to the 'On' position. Mine does chime when the door opens alerting me that my lights are on.

tongsun3717

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X3
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Local dealer checked my Bronco today and found a code indicating my headlight switch should be replaced (free of charge). They have ordered the replacement switch. Hopefully this will take care of the ghost headlight puzzle.
Sponsored