Sponsored

Does anyone know the rejection rate for MIC tops?

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Would really like to know if these are vacuum molded fiberglass (or other similar fiber) panels and the molds are the issue. My initial understanding of Molded In Color meant either an injection or roto molded plastic part. Delamination by my definition, doesn't happen with melted plastics in a mold but does with fiberglass.

If we can get ahold of one my body techs and painters swear they can make paint stick.
Wimbledon White paint? :love:

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The interior surface of the MIC top puzzles me. Here is why.

Way back in time, Ford showed some interior shots of the MIC top. The shots depicted what looked like a somewhat finished interior surface of darkish gray honeycomb/carbon fiber type appearance.

There was push back from some viewers at the time, saying the interior surface treatment didn't look so good. Personally, I kind of liked the look, but I'm more into the utility nature of the vehicle. At the time, I could foresee how some customers would want the interior surface to appear more finished (and so should have Ford).

Fast forward and the MIC interior surface ended up rougher looking, with the honeycomb appearance not consistent, along with scratches, pits, etc. (See photo further below from a customer delivered hardtop.)

Apparently the interior MIC surface ended up deemed by Ford as not up to customer expectations, so much so that Ford decided to cover for free the top of the interior with fabric (losing out on profit from accessory sales of that material).

Bottom line - I don't think COVID/material/worker constraints can simply be blamed for the MIC interior surface. It seems more of a fail on the part of Ford to envision what would be an acceptable interior surface for the bulk of customers.

Crystal ball - I think MOD top will eventually supersede MIC, and there will be no more MIC, or at least no more MIC as we know it.

InteriorHardtop.jpg
They can’t even get the label right side up …

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wimbledon White paint? :love:
Oxford White to match my BL that's getting built sometime next week. Don't think they can get it stick to the soft top no matter how much adhesion promoter they use.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The interior surface of the MIC top puzzles me. Here is why.

Way back in time, Ford showed some interior shots of the MIC top. The shots depicted what looked like a somewhat finished interior surface of darkish gray honeycomb/carbon fiber type appearance.

There was push back from some viewers at the time, saying the interior surface treatment didn't look so good. Personally, I kind of liked the look, but I'm more into the utility nature of the vehicle. At the time, I could foresee how some customers would want the interior surface to appear more finished (and so should have Ford).

Fast forward and the MIC interior surface ended up rougher looking, with the honeycomb appearance not consistent, along with scratches, pits, etc. (See photo further below from a customer delivered hardtop.)

Apparently the interior MIC surface ended up deemed by Ford as not up to customer expectations, so much so that Ford decided to cover for free the top of the interior with fabric (losing out on profit from accessory sales of that material).

Bottom line - I don't think COVID/material/worker constraints can simply be blamed for the MIC interior surface. It seems more of a fail on the part of Ford to envision what would be an acceptable interior surface for the bulk of customers.

Crystal ball - I think MOD top will eventually supersede MIC, and there will be no more MIC, or at least no more MIC as we know it.

InteriorHardtop.jpg
That is absurd, this would piss me off.

Sponsored

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So I'll be the dummy here, back in the 70's & 80's did Ford make the removable caps for the Bronco? Naturally my (3) FSB's all had fiberglass caps, I always assumed Ford actually manufactured them...

And guess what? They were all great. Looked great, performed great. And here we are today and Webasto can't seem to get a damn thing right... I think I've now seen (2) videos in which the reviewer has mentioned some clicking noise coming from the top. This is beyond pathetic at this point.

79BKO

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
79 Bronco, 21 Bronco Big Bend SAS
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So I'll be the dummy here, back in the 70's & 80's did Ford make the removable caps for the Bronco? Naturally my (3) FSB's all had fiberglass caps, I always assumed Ford actually manufactured them...

And guess what? They were all great. Looked great, performed great. And here we are today and Webasto can't seem to get a damn thing right... I think I've now seen (2) videos in which the reviewer has mentioned some clicking noise coming from the top. This is beyond pathetic at this point.
My top on my current 79 is in pretty good shape considering how old it is. I run a Softopper most of the time now.

I can't figure out why a soft top is not an option on the 2 dr!

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They should just 3d print the tops and be done with it.

Personally, I no longer refer to it as a "MIC" top. It's new name is the "FUBAR Top".
(F'ed Up Beyond All Recognition)

Last edited:

Brongo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
The layup is similar to this, three layers, outer, honeycomb, inner.

composite-panel.jpg
Ford Bronco Does anyone know the rejection rate for MIC tops? 1626701560780

Yes, but take a closer look at how easily it breaks apart. There's something up with those inner layers. A little too crispity and crunchity if you ask me.

frankk

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lotus Elise
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Assuming 100% are rejected by the spec, but well over 50% are acceptable for builds. The alternative (reject all) is not realistic. Really tough spot. Dumpster fire is a great description.
Sponsored