Sponsored

Does anyone know the rejection rate for MIC tops?

OP
OP
MacDonald_Photo

MacDonald_Photo

Badlands
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Would really like to know if these are vacuum molded fiberglass (or other similar fiber) panels and the molds are the issue. My initial understanding of Molded In Color meant either an injection or roto molded plastic part. Delamination by my definition, doesn't happen with melted plastics in a mold but does with fiberglass.
From what you can se in the videos of the hard top undersides, there are fibers.
Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From what you can se in the videos of the hard top undersides, there are fibers.
I agree, the one unit we've gotten so far 100% looks like some sort of vacuum molded fiber-ish something. Can't imagine they would do a multi step process just to leave the inside looking like crap. If they can make a 'glass boat hull slick as snot, this shouldn't be an issue.

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I just don't understand what in the process of making these things is so hard. Almost everything is made by a damn machine now.
Back in the day at the Volant ski factory we had Rum Thursday's on the night shift(4x10's). The amount of delaminated skis was much higher for the finishing group Monday morning. All machines as well but humans still have to push shit in the machines the right way. So clearly there's some good drinking going on a Webasto.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Would really like to know if these are vacuum molded fiberglass (or other similar fiber) panels and the molds are the issue. My initial understanding of Molded In Color meant either an injection or roto molded plastic part. Delamination by my definition, doesn't happen with melted plastics in a mold but does with fiberglass.

If we can get ahold of one my body techs and painters swear they can make paint stick.
The layup is similar to this, three layers, outer, honeycomb, inner.

composite-panel.jpg

Sponsored

FishKzor

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From the various photos and videos, it appears the exterior top is the vacuum-molded, tinted plastic, while the underside is some sort of fiberglass (Or fiberglass-type. At the very least, fibers are visible within the resin) material. My assumption (from the photos) is the de-lamination is happening on the seams where these two pieces are supposed to join together.

I could be wrong, and anyone "in the know" feel free to correct me.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I agree, the one unit we've gotten so far 100% looks like some sort of vacuum molded fiber-ish something. Can't imagine they would do a multi step process just to leave the inside looking like crap. If they can make a 'glass boat hull slick as snot, this shouldn't be an issue.
A boats smooth exterior is called Gel Coat, it is the first steps in the multi layer build up.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just don't understand what in the process of making these things is so hard. Almost everything is made by a damn machine now.
I blame COVID. Because ... COVID. ;) (It's like the go-to excuse for any Ford foul up.)

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I looked into trying to have a mold made by Accurate Pattern for Sterling truck grilles since they were going obsolete. They make the mold (fiberglass) then send it out to one of their partners to do the production. Was going to be at least $40K before making the first part and the per part cost was going to be more than what I thought we could retail them for.

ETA: Pretty sure it was Arrowhead Plastic Engineering who Accurate suggested.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MustangRanch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 GT350, 11 GT500, 20 GT500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I blame COVID. Because ... COVID. ;) (It's like the go-to excuse for any Ford foul up.)

Its an excuse for everything anymore.

GotGOAT

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’m already a MY22, maybe waiting for the MOD roof isn’t such a bad idea.

79BKO

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
79 Bronco, 21 Bronco Big Bend SAS
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I heard a rumor all the Webasto employees are Jeep owners. So there's the problem.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
The interior surface of the MIC top puzzles me. Here is why.

Way back in time, Ford showed some interior shots of the MIC top. The shots depicted what looked like a somewhat finished interior surface of darkish gray honeycomb/carbon fiber type appearance.

There was push back from some viewers at the time, saying the interior surface treatment didn't look so good. Personally, I kind of liked the look, but I'm more into the utility nature of the vehicle. At the time, I could foresee how some customers would want the interior surface to appear more finished (and so should have Ford).

Fast forward and the MIC interior surface ended up rougher looking, with the honeycomb appearance not consistent, along with scratches, pits, etc. (See photo further below from a customer delivered hardtop.)

Apparently the interior MIC surface ended up deemed by Ford as not up to customer expectations, so much so that Ford decided to cover for free the top of the interior with fabric (losing out on profit from accessory sales of that material).

Bottom line - I don't think COVID/material/worker constraints can simply be blamed for the MIC interior surface. It seems more of a fail on the part of Ford to envision what would be an acceptable interior surface for the bulk of customers.

Crystal ball - I think MOD top will eventually supersede MIC, and there will be no more MIC, or at least no more MIC as we know it.

Ford Bronco Does anyone know the rejection rate for MIC tops? InteriorHardto