Sonnyhe2002

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black diamond, model 3
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was changing the rear tire of the Bronco. But even at max setting of the jack, the wheel is still firmly planted to the ground. I have not jacked up suvs/trucks before.
Should the wheels be lifted off the ground like when I use a jack on a car?
( I didn't finish changing the tire as I dont want it to fall... I'm scared)

There is a video of how it looks:

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wrong location. The jack point for the rear wheels is the rear axle tube.

Ford Bronco Does the jack lift the wheel? FB6F90F1-144F-4C7E-8340-20DD7949FE40
Ford Bronco Does the jack lift the wheel? F3425389-01B3-4DA0-B4BB-19D70DB84EF1

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Look at the manual for the jack point. It shouldn't need to go that high. I'm sure Ford didn't supply a short scissor jack.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That jack is sufficient if compressing the suspension. Where you have it let the suspension drop. Hence the tire on the ground. Like stated the rear axle will compress it.

That’s how high mine is just to get all 4 a inch off the ground lifting from the frame.

If under the axle you only have to go 4-6 inches to get off the tire off the ground. Should be lifting the wheel up, not the frame.

B33224F2-9A0C-4159-8ECE-782D19FCF93A.jpeg

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Also a regular jack and a couple jack stands will help with your confidence and make life easier. Good to stay safe when lifting.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Sonnyhe2002

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black diamond, model 3
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just to confirm, the rear axle is a cylindrical tube and don't have any flat surface that I see. I should put it on the round surface right?

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It never hurts to have some of those square RV plastic jack pads on hand too. You can put those on the ground, then the jack to give you some more lift. Depending on the terrain, you may need them.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don’t mind the red on mine. It goes over the parts your going to see on yours. Just protection plates. The 4 circled areas are where I hand jack mine rear end up at. Use which ever one makes the best contact with the jack head.

And yes. Your are correct. The round tube is the axle.

If you see the jack start to tilt or the truck start sliding on the top of it (will start slowly walking, not just going to drop) Just lower and reset it. It happens.

F9B070B3-2710-4AD3-9B19-D901019CACAC.jpeg

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You probably should call for roadside assistance.
Harsh, but true - if this is a roadside emergency.

But it looks like you’re in the driveway? If so, carefully go over the manual and figure out exactly what to do. If possible, find a helper with some experience.

Sponsored

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It never hurts to have some of those square RV plastic jack pads on hand too. You can put those on the ground, then the jack to give you some more lift. Depending on the terrain, you may need them.
We can $pend on all $orts of $tuff, like jack pads. I simply keep a few blocks of wood in the cargo storage bin (behind the tire tool bin). Very handy to 1)make sure I get the lift I need, 2) stabilize the procedure if I'm not on pavement, or 3) position my jack if I'm in a hollow or on uneven ground.

Ordinarily, I don't like scissor jacks, but a recent unpleasant discovery changed my mind. I was taking a flat off, and found that (ulp!) at my age (75) I could not heft the Goodyear Territory spare onto the lugs. Well, I'm in good shape otherwise, but I was in remote Utah, all alone. What I found was that the scissor jack allowed me to make micro adjustments up, down, up... until I had the spare, standing on the dirt road, even with the top lug. Once I could hang the spare on that top lug, I could wiggle the other five into place.
So yeah--that scissor jack did the trick. At least for me!

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just to confirm, the rear axle is a cylindrical tube and don't have any flat surface that I see. I should put it on the round surface right?
First, an answer: yes. The rear axle is fully enclosed in that round tube. In the middle of the axle is the rear diff. Jack the truck up from the round axle tube itself.

Secondly, some advice. Slow down, take your time, use jack stands if you’re going under the car for even a second, and do not forget to set the parking brake before you jack the truck up. You should always jack the vehicle up on a level surface. If you have a manual, put it in gear before jacking it up as well. You don’t want that sucker rolling off the jack while you’re working on it.

LockedBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Harsh, but true - if this is a roadside emergency.

But it looks like you’re in the driveway? If so, carefully go over the manual and figure out exactly what to do. If possible, find a helper with some experience.
No disrespect but the ( I didn't finish changing the tire as I dont want it to fall... I'm scared) says a lot. Especially the I'm scared part

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Wrong location. The jack point for the rear wheels is the rear axle tube.

Ford Bronco Does the jack lift the wheel? F9B070B3-2710-4AD3-9B19-D901019CACAC
Ford Bronco Does the jack lift the wheel? F9B070B3-2710-4AD3-9B19-D901019CACAC
Re: #6 above.....was my Bronco supposed to come with a locking nut on the spare? Ive rotated my tires a couple of times since taking delivery...never noticed I needed a "key" to unlock a nut on the spare....

Solfive

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No shame in not feeling comfortable changing the tire, you did the safe thing by stopping and asking for help. While I think you’ve been given excellent advice so far if I were in your position I’d call a family member or friend and observe them this time. Maybe even practice doing it yourself under their guidance. The old saying “you don’t know what you don’t know” can be dangerous in situations like this.
Sponsored