gdp

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been told that some of the newer 4x4s such as Tacomas cannot run tire chains for some reason about the suspension. Does anyone know if that applies to the broncos? I also assume that the non-sas Badlands and any sas might be different so that info would be important to know, at least for me. I'm guessing the owners manual should have something about tire chains but I don't have a manual...or a bronco yet!
Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Owners manual (pg 378) states only 255/70 x 16 (Base) and 255/75 x 17 (Big Bend) should run chains and then only on the rear. Those that I looked at with 285's looked OK for chains at least in the rear and I would bet 265's on Black Diamond would be fine. But again OM says only 255x16 and 17. Also OBX with 255 x 18 should be OK, but not listed in OM.

This is important to me. Hence my BB and plans to stick with 255 tires. And I think one should use caution chaining up the front both for clearance and strength of the M190 diff and CV's

Last edited:
OP
OP

gdp

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You guys are great, thanks. Althought not what I wanted to hear for my non sas BL, since I sometimes need chains on my truck for some fall activities in the mountains. Now that I have the link for the manual, dgorsett: can you point me to the page in the manual about the chains? Makes sense what you say about the CV's. Although I've 4wheeled for around 45 years, this is my first IFS vehicle so I'm on a learning curve.

Last edited:

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You guys are great, thanks. Althought not what I wanted to hear for my non sas BL, since I sometimes need chains on my truck for some fall activities in the mountains. Now that I have the link for the manual, dgorsett: can you point me to the page in the manual about the chains? Makes sense what you say about the CV's. Although I've 4wheeled for around 45 years, this is my first IFS vehicle so I'm on a learning curve.
Page 378. And like I said, 'feeling around' a non Sas Badlands, I thought they should fit the rear. And i believe BL has the 210 front, so that's better, still have the CV weak link, but first time IFS for me too. My fall activities often require chains so it's a must have for me, I might have to modify my activities :( to avoid chaining front.

Sponsored
OP
OP

gdp

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Page 378. And like I said, 'feeling around' a non Sas Badlands, I thought they should fit the rear. And i believe BL has the 210 front, so that's better, still have the CV weak link, but first time IFS for me too. My fall activities often require chains so it's a must have for me, I might have to modify my activities :( to avoid chaining front.
I'm like you needing chains in the fall. We get pretty deep into the woods for elk and deer hunts. Every 2nd or 3rd yr I have to put chains on all 4s of my superduty due to mud and/or snow. Most people are surprised where I've taken it! I'll still have that truck along so I guess I can use it to pull the bronco out if needed :) My truck has 33s on it, same as the BL will so I'll be able to try the chains on to check em.

OP
OP

gdp

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For areas that require chains do they allow alternatives?
I've never used chains on regular roads so can't answer that. Probably depends on the Hwy Dept in your state.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

For areas that require chains do they allow alternatives?
In Colorado it's usually chains, snow tires or 4x4 so you'll be covered. Never had to chain up on road.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm like you needing chains in the fall. We get pretty deep into the woods for elk and deer hunts. Every 2nd or 3rd yr I have to put chains on all 4s of my superduty due to mud and/or snow. Most people are surprised where I've taken it! I'll still have that truck along so I guess I can use it to pull the bronco out if needed :) My truck has 33s on it, same as the BL will so I'll be able to try the chains on to check em.
Have you tried modern snow tires? Apparently they can be pretty impressive. Don't forget to use the correct GOAT mode!

Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

At least in Oregon traction tires can be used instead of chains.

https://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/Chain-Law

"Chains" include link chains, cable chains, or any other device that attaches to the wheel, vehicle or outside of the tire that is specifically designed to increase traction on ice and snow conditions. For information on the placement of chains go to Minimum Chain Requirements.

"Traction Tires" are studded tires, retractable studded tires, or other tires that meet the tire industry definition as suitable for use in severe snow conditions.

• Tires designated by the tire industry as suitable for use in severe snow conditions are marked with a mountain/snowflake emblem on the sidewall like this:
    Ford Bronco Does the Bronco accept tire chains? ttSnowflake

For information on these tires, contact your tire dealer or the Northwest Tires Dealers Association .
  • "Retractable studded tires" are tires with embedded studs that retract to at or below the wear bar of the tire and project not less than .04 inch beyond the tread surface of the tire when extended.
  • "Studded tires" are tires with studs that are made of a rigid material that wears at the same rate as the tire tread. The studs must extend at least .04 inch but not more than .06 inch beyond the tread surface. Studded tires are only legal for use in Oregon from November 1 through March 31.
When allowed in place of chains, traction tires are to be placed as shown on Minimum Chain Requirements.
Also there is another exemption:

In typical winter conditions, the following vehicles are completely or partially exempt from the chain law. However, in very bad winter road conditions all vehicles may be required to use chains regardless of the type of vehicle or type of tire being used (this is known as a conditional road closure). A conditional road closure may occur on any of Oregon's highways and are frequent in the winter on Interstate 5 through the Siskiyou Pass south of Ashland:
  1. A four-wheel or all-wheel drive passenger vehicle if all of the following statements are true:
    1. It has an unloaded weight of 6,500 pounds or less;
    2. It is operated to provide power to both the front and rear wheels;
    3. It is carrying chains;
    4. It has mud and snow, all-weather radial, or traction tires on all of its wheels;
    5. It is not towing another vehicle or a trailer;
    6. It is not being operated in a manner or under conditions that cause the vehicle to lose traction.
As always check with your own state's laws and regulations.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Have you tried modern snow tires? Apparently they can be pretty impressive. Don't forget to use the correct GOAT mode!
As gdp and I said, we've never used chains on road, snow tires and 4x4 are plenty. Our use is in the Colorado mtns late in the fall with deep snow, mud and steep/rocky slow speed trails, chains are the only way.

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As gdp and I said, we've never used chains on road, snow tires and 4x4 are plenty. Our use is in the Colorado mtns late in the fall with deep snow, mud and steep/rocky slow speed trails, chains are the only way.
So you run snow tires on the road? and snow chains off road?
What tires do you prefer for snow? as well as offroad?

OP
OP

gdp

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So you run snow tires on the road? and snow chains off road?
What tires do you prefer for snow? as well as offroad?
With 4x4, any decent all terrain tires should be fine on snowy roads. I'm on my 3rd set of Bridgestone dueler Revos and like them a lot fwiw. I don't change them for on or offroad use but use chains when needed. Very few people ever get into places offroad where they need chains, at least in my experience.
The problem I've seen with people in 4x4s and snowy roads is that the vehicle goes really well but they don't realize the vehicle doesn't stop any quicker.

BigTex

First Edition
First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mini CooperS Convertible, 2022 F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

No, only accepts MasterCard and visa. 😂😂