First Name
sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 platinum, mazdaspeed miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am wanting to get some chains for the bronco, and owners manual only list chains acceptable for non SAS. I know there probably isnt a lot of clearance for a big chain but was wondering if anyone actually tried to fit them yet.

Only use snow chains on rear wheels. Install snow chains in pairs. Do not use self-tensioning snow chains.
Only use snow chains on the following specified tire sizes:
  • 255/70R16Only install chains that are 15 mm or less.
  • 255/75R17Only install chains that are 15 mm or less.
We recommend you use steel wheels of the same size and specification if snow chains are required because chains may chip aluminum wheels.
Follow these guidelines when using snow tires and traction devices:
Sponsored

Julz670

Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Previously: '83 and '95 Bronco XLTs. RIP.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am wanting to get some chains for the bronco, and owners manual only list chains acceptable for non SAS.
Ahh the pacific northwest. Land of no salt and stopping to chain up. I do not miss that shit.

With chains you can really only go about 35-40mps tops anyway. In a sas badlands, you probably would be just fine with throwing it in 4A, slippery drive mode, and keep your speed to about 35-40mph if its getting pretty slick. Keep a decent stopping distance in front of you. If you had a non-sas BB or OBX then chains may be necessary. But those offroad tires should do just fine if you drive careful. Chains are just a PITA and one more thing to possibly damage your fenders or rims if they come loose at all.

OP
OP
stbanning

stbanning

Badlands
First Name
sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 platinum, mazdaspeed miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ahh the pacific northwest. Land of no salt and stopping to chain up. I do not miss that shit.

With chains you can really only go about 35-40mps tops anyway. In a sas badlands, you probably would be just fine with throwing it in 4A, slippery drive mode, and keep your speed to about 35-40mph if its getting pretty slick. Keep a decent stopping distance in front of you. If you had a non-sas BB or OBX then chains may be necessary. But those offroad tires should do just fine if you drive careful. Chains are just a PITA and one more thing to possibly damage your fenders or rims if they come loose at all.
carried chains with me for years never needed on the road. i have only used them in the past to help in sticky situations on snow covered logging roads in my jeep.
Sponsored