Sponsored

Doors off gremlins explained, and an inexpensive DIY solution!

Cobrafang

Wildtrak
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Right...just that that shorting bar is pretty unreliable. When the door is disconnected, that little bar is supposed to short the door removed sense wire to ground. When it works it's no problem, but mine doesn't work reliably. I have tried cleaning it w/emery cloth and a little pocket screwdriver...still gives me problems. I have another 22 that seems to work fine (only took the doors off 1 time, but it worked). if you plug an empty plug in it will go ape w/warnings.
Ok so I do see a difference between having the wiring harness plugged in versus unplugged like most would have with the doors removed. The only difference is I don't get the electrical is not connected error. I still get the door ajar error and once you hit ok 4 times (1 for each door) I am just left with the door ajar red dash warning symbol. With everything nothing plugged into the door jams I get the same door ajar and also an door electrical not present or something like that. But you just ok past it and 1 time for each door and it appears everything is the same.

So I guess that as long as you have properly working shorts bars in the door jam hook ups you do not need to do the dummy plugs.

I just wish there was a way to understand how to car thinks the doors are ajar even with the wiring harness plugged in but no door is attached to the wiring harness. Need to take a closer look at one of the doors. Maybe there is a sensor that I just need to figure out how to fake out with the wiring harness. Anyways...thanks listening.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bmadda

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ok so I do see a difference between having the wiring harness plugged in versus unplugged like most would have with the doors removed. The only difference is I don't get the electrical is not connected error. I still get the door ajar error and once you hit ok 4 times (1 for each door) I am just left with the door ajar red dash warning symbol. With everything nothing plugged into the door jams I get the same door ajar and also an door electrical not present or something like that. But you just ok past it and 1 time for each door and it appears everything is the same.

So I guess that as long as you have properly working shorts bars in the door jam hook ups you do not need to do the dummy plugs.

I just wish there was a way to understand how to car thinks the doors are ajar even with the wiring harness plugged in but no door is attached to the wiring harness. Need to take a closer look at one of the doors. Maybe there is a sensor that I just need to figure out how to fake out with the wiring harness. Anyways...thanks listening.
You should not get any door ajar warning if the shorting bar is working right. You SHOULD get a single warning that door electrical connection is disconnected. If yours is a 4 door you probably have one shorting bar that isn't making good contact. I would try unplugging each door one at a time to see which one sets the door ajar warning. On mine I got like 8 different warnings...airbag warning/lamp on, key not detected, door ajar, all kinds of stuff, and it wouldn't let me use goat modes. Happened the 1st day I brought it home and had my son stop by to help take top/doors off. He was laughing his arse off at me! The rear doors on a 4dr probably don't have a crash sensor, so if you aren't getting airbag warnings it's probably one of your rears

Cobrafang

Wildtrak
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You should not get any door ajar warning if the shorting bar is working right. You SHOULD get a single warning that door electrical connection is disconnected. If yours is a 4 door you probably have one shorting bar that isn't making good contact. I would try unplugging each door one at a time to see which one sets the door ajar warning. On mine I got like 8 different warnings...airbag warning/lamp on, key not detected, door ajar, all kinds of stuff, and it wouldn't let me use goat modes. Happened the 1st day I brought it home and had my son stop by to help take top/doors off. He was laughing his arse off at me! The rear doors on a 4dr probably don't have a crash sensor, so if you aren't getting airbag warnings it's probably one of your rears
Ok will try that and let you know.
Sponsored