Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Has anyone installed a driveshaft decoupling device on their new bronco to get around potential flat tow related failures? I'm wondering if they would be robust enough for offroad. Only one I've looked at so far is Superior Driveline's unit. Not even sure I could get one that would work on the G6. They look to cost around $1500 before labor for install. Sure would be a lot cheaper than transmission and transfer case. I started to loosen driveshaft at rearend today to see if that would be a viable option but it was a pita with hand tools, would be better with battery impact but still 10-15 min job at both ends of destination. You have to roll bronco ahead to access all bolts easily or jack it up every time... in all weather conditions and temperatures, i.e. 120 degree pavement.🥵
Sponsored

OP
OP

73Corvetteman

Big Bend
First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just got off the phone with superior driveline. $1600 plus shipping. Gentleman told me it would be stout enough for offroad but didn't recommend rock crawling as unit is mounted to bottom side of differential. Wife and I were not going to rock crawl anyway so this is what I'm going to do. He said he has already done a few broncos already because of the same concern I have. So I'm actually gonna sleep tonight and not fret about transmission failures!

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Has anyone installed a driveshaft decoupling device on their new bronco to get around potential flat tow related failures? I'm wondering if they would be robust enough for offroad. Only one I've looked at so far is Superior Driveline's unit. Not even sure I could get one that would work on the G6. They look to cost around $1500 before labor for install. Sure would be a lot cheaper than transmission and transfer case. I started to loosen driveshaft at rearend today to see if that would be a viable option but it was a pita with hand tools, would be better with battery impact but still 10-15 min job at both ends of destination. You have to roll bronco ahead to access all bolts easily or jack it up every time... in all weather conditions and temperatures, i.e. 120 degree pavement.🥵
@73Corvetteman what are you doing about the front driveshaft?

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@73Corvetteman what are you doing about the front driveshaft?
Well, so much for him sleeping soundly.
Now he'll be up all night researching how the front drives haft and transfer case work on these rigs.
Here where manual lock-out hubs would be soo nice.

OP
OP

73Corvetteman

Big Bend
First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Well, so much for him sleeping soundly.
Now he'll be up all night researching how the front drives haft and transfer case work on these rigs.
Here where manual lock-out hubs would be soo nice.
You guys are just mean!🤣

Sponsored

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Manual TC. AND hubs would be nice.

I wouldn’t trust the front disconnects to work as they should either. And which ones even disconnect? Good luck OP.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you don’t have the Advanced transfer case, I wouldn’t sweat it. Just follow procedures correctly and put a battery charge line from the MH. That’s my plan.
If you do have the 4A…. I’d trailer it.

Does $1500 include the driveshaft mods or just the parts to do it?

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Manual TC. AND hubs would be nice.

I wouldn’t trust the front disconnects to work as they should either. And which ones even disconnect? Good luck OP.
Regular Broncos with advanced 4wd do not have disconnects. Neither do part time Big Bends and Obxs with 4.27 gears... 🤷‍♀️

OP
OP

73Corvetteman

Big Bend
First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thats a new driveshaft, all I have to do is bolt it in.. The guys are right though, it may not work if front shaft still attached. Back to sleep less nights! But seriously I'm going to research it as I have the advanced system and my motorhome can't haul that much weight.

OP
OP

73Corvetteman

Big Bend
First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yea, it won't work unless you unhook front shaft as well. No oil pumped in transfer case with rear driveshaft disconnected so output bearing on front shaft would cook from what I understand. So SuperDave, you was correct, dang you!😉

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

When I get to the point that I'm trying to flat tow the Bronco, I'm either going to do something like this to disconnect the rear and put the front up on a two-wheel car dolly, or I'm trading it in for a Jeep :)

But yeah... Whatever tires touch the ground, the drive shaft would have to be disconnected... Well that is unless you trust completely, the wonderful Ford technology.

OP
OP

73Corvetteman

Big Bend
First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yea, I actually have an elavated customer service request started. They are supposed to contact me next week. We haven't flat towed yet but I want to hear what they have to say about issue and the non warranty coverage.

OP
OP

73Corvetteman

Big Bend
First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Well, the elevated service request was a complete waste of time... he knew nothing about it. Basically just told me to follow owners manual. He could not give me any information at all as to number of failures due to flat towing. No info if they are looking into it. So thanks for nothin Ford... customer is guilty with no way to prove innocence.
Sponsored