First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is what I get for spouting my mouth off about how reliable my truck has been..... I should’ve known. This happened on the way home today. Don’t know what the issue is but just thought it was funny after I said I’ve had no issues.
I know what you mean. I've been on here spouting off about that awesome Toyota 4Runner reliability and then this happened. :LOL: Turned out to be a faulty Brake Light Switch.

IMG_0340.jpg
Sponsored

Reactions: SCH

Gdsnhanson

Badlands
First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ecoboost is an Ecoboost. Currently drive a 2011 F-150 with 3.5L ecoboost. 97K miles. Tow 7k lb camper and a 5k lb boat. No problems. Pulls like a V8. No extra maintenance withe dual turbos. I was skeptical and die hard V-8 guy but so far so good. Motor design has been around for almost ten years.

BadlandsA51

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands, Sasquatch, Lux Pkg, 72 Ranchero GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The intake carbon issue can be real. With that said there is no documentation on the maintenance done on those high mileage engines effected. Did they change the oil reg, use walmart oil and fuel quality etc. Fan boy high boost engines have their own basket of issues.
Part of this is because of the German brands listed below and Ford DI turbo motor seem to be judged guilty by association.
Use a high quality syn oil (which is specifically formulated with additives to reduce carbon and withstand more heat than other oils), and a PCV oil catch can and all will be well.

Assuaging potential sky-is-falling fears, Michael Karesh, the developer of TrueDelta.com said carbon buildup is “not an issue for all direct-injected engines” based on the data he collects. His website surveys the owners of around 33,000 different vehicles to acquire relevant and timely data about vehicle reliability and fuel economy among other things.

But of course there are some instances of deposit-related issues that have popped up. Karesh said, “The only engines it’s reported quite a bit is [with] the VW/Audi 2.0T and then the Audi V6s.” He also said, “I know there are some BMWs that end up with carbon buildup as well.”

As for the frequency of reported problems with these Volkswagen cars he said his numbers indicate “it can be as high as one in six over the last two years,” which “is a high number” and one that he said is consistent across different models.

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news...a-problem-with-direct-injection-engines-.html
Intake carbon was a problem with DI only EcoBoosts. The later dual fuel engines haven’t had the problem. I remember in 2011 when the F-150 had the first 3.5L EcoBoost, a majority of fellow Ford employees had the same fear of what it would do to F-150 sales when these all-aluminum, turbocharged, 3.5L, V-6s all started failing. What were they thinking?!?! Turns out they had it right. All of the fears of a boosted, small displacement V-6 burning down never materialized.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Issues are hoses and connections. Having had multiple high mileage turbos you just need to be some what handy at making sure things stay tight and in place. Everything else is pretty much the same as far as maintenance and reliability (timing belts and chains).

My wife's 2016 F150 is at 130k miles and I am only worried about the 6 year old battery. Just oil changes and had a miss fire at 110K that went away with new plugs and coils packs.

BadlandsA51

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Issues are hoses and connections. Having had multiple high mileage turbos you just need to be some what handy at making sure things stay tight and in place. Everything else is pretty much the same as far as maintenance and reliability (timing belts and chains).

My wife's 2016 F150 is at 130k miles and I am only worried about the 6 year old battery. Just oil changes and had a miss fire at 110K that went away with new plugs and coils packs.
Wow, 110K for plugs??? Were those the originals? That's amazing for a 3.5L! Must lead a pretty easy life? I've seen them need plugs as early as 35 to 40K if they are used to tow. Anyway, I love mine. 0 problems in 45K miles and average of 19.4 MPG over those miles, which include about 3K towing our 22' travel trailer.

Sponsored

Fivefingerheist

Badlands
First Name
FFH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, 4-D, Non-SAS, 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I currently drive a 2018 F150 with the 2.7. Zero problems so far in 47,000 miles and it continues to impress. I’ll be going with the 2.7 in the Bronco. Seems to have different HP ratings though 310 vs 325 for the F150. Maybe a tuning difference?
This is 89 vs 93 octane gasoline in the Bronco 2.7.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Wow, 110K for plugs??? Were those the originals? That's amazing for a 3.5L! Must lead a pretty easy life? I've seen them need plugs as early as 35 to 40K if they are used to tow. Anyway, I love mine. 0 problems in 45K miles and average of 19.4 MPG over those miles, which include about 3K towing our 22' travel trailer.
2.7, only have maybe 500 miles of towing? I use my Ram 1500 for towing it's got a lifetime warranty, got to love Chrysler warranties!

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have an 01 Explorer with 180,000 miles. While it is not super fast, it has been peppy and reliable for many, many years.
Must be a 5.0? Most of the 4.0 Explorers have been through a set of timing chains (have to pull the engine, brilliant!) and a rebuilt trans by that kind of mileage.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Ford Mustang, 2001 Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Must be a 5.0? Most of the 4.0 Explorers have been through a set of timing chains (have to pull the engine, brilliant!) and a rebuilt trans by that kind of mileage.
Well, that was a few years ago. Ended up selling the Explorer to a buddy of mine so he can haul his dogs to the vet. He just turned over 200,000. Same engine. Lost a u-joint, but the thing just keeps going. 4.0 V6. It was never fast, but ran strong and never burned a drop of oil. I consider myself lucky on that one.

BadlandsA51

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2.7, only have maybe 500 miles of towing? I use my Ram 1500 for towing it's got a lifetime warranty, got to love Chrysler warranties!
Going over 100K miles on original plugs on a naturally aspirated engine is fairly common, but because of the extra heat generated in the Ecoboost engines, they tend to erode the electrodes away quicker and increase the gap quicker. Then the coils can't fire the extra gap under boost conditions and you get some pretty nasty misfiring. And, if you drive it too long like that, it will need coils too, they burn out or arc through the boots trying to fire that wide gap.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Going over 100K miles on original plugs on a naturally aspirated engine is fairly common, but because of the extra heat generated in the Ecoboost engines, they tend to erode the electrodes away quicker and increase the gap quicker. Then the coils can't fire the extra gap under boost conditions and you get some pretty nasty misfiring. And, if you drive it too long like that, it will need coils too, they burn out or arc through the boots trying to fire that wide gap.
This was a very slight miss at Idle, plugs looked pretty good when I pulled them. But I am definitely not going to go that long again. Nice technical answer! I have had the pleasure of working on a few 5.4 and 4.6 ford's. Ford is not known for making a good coil lol.
Sponsored