Sponsored

Engine coolant HELP (found the level far below the minimum line)

robsafari

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hello and help, I recently discovered that my engine coolant was pretty far below the minimum line. I stopped and got some peak orange coolant and topped it off. It's a little late as I have just filled it to the line but is it okay to mix that with what I now see if the motor craft yellow coolant? I can get it drained tomorrow if need be. Did not realize it mattered as much as it seems to in the bit I have just read šŸ˜¬

This is what i used
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...C9a06zebb_nM0BrnAfRoCS_0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Itā€™ll be fine. Also, make sure youā€™re correctly checking and topping off the coolant level, when the vehicle is cold.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Only thing you can not mix is the orange GM coolant with green generic coolant. You will be ok.
Isnā€™t that exactly what he did?

I have also ā€œheardā€ not to mix the orange DexCool (GM) with the green antifreeze as the mixture can coagulate.

The amount the OP topped off with may not be significant. If the vehicle has NOT been run however, it would be easy enough to drain the surge tank...or purge the surge tank with water from a garden hose, suck out most of the water, and add the proper coolant.

Last edited:
OP
OP
robsafari

robsafari

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

I have also ā€œheardā€ not to mix the orange DexCool (GM) with the green antifreeze as the mixture can coagulate.

The amount the OP topped off with may not be significant. If the vehicle has NOT been run, however, it would be easy enough to drain the surge tank...or purge the surge tank with water from a garden hose, suck out most of the water, and add the proper coolant.
It has been run but I am going to ford tomorrow and see what options I have. I figured the right ratio of prediluted was the only thing that mattered, thought wrong ig

Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The amount the OP topped off with may not be significant. If the vehicle has NOT been run however, it would be easy enough to drain the surge tank...or purge the surge tank with water from a garden hose, suck out most of the water, and add the proper coolant.
Ford orange is the same as Dexcool. Which is what he used.

Ford orange is compatible with Ford yellow, which is what the Bronco uses. So there are no compatibility issues.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It has been run but I am going to ford tomorrow and see what options I have. I figured the right ratio of prediluted was the only thing that mattered, thought wrong ig
Take the coolant (Peak) with you and let us know what they say.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford orange is the same as Dexcool. Which is what he used.

Ford orange is compatible with Ford yellow, which is what the Bronco uses. So there are no compatibility issues.
Excellent! My experience was with a 65 Corvette and the aluminum radiator and surge tank in it and also 25 to 30 years ago.. The mechanical experts on a Forum like this one, advised thoroughly flushing the cooling system when going to DexCool as it was incompatible with the yellow Prestone fluid.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Excellent! My experience was with a 65 Corvette and the aluminum radiator and surge tank in it and also 25 to 30 years ago.. The mechanical experts on a Forum like this one, advised thoroughly flushing the cooling system when going to DexCool as it was incompatible with the yellow Prestone fluid.
Yep and I would agree with that. Which is why Prestone makes their own Prestone dexcool, in addition to Prestone yellow.

OP
OP
robsafari

robsafari

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Appreciate the help, this is my go-to resource for anything related to this vehicle!

Sponsored

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep and I would agree with that. Which is why Prestone makes their own Prestone dexcool, in addition to Prestone yellow.
Shit! I just topped off my system with Prestone Platnum. Hope that is compatible! Container indicated it was compatible with Ford AND the colors matchedā€¦.šŸ¤Ŗ. Did I screw up?

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Shit! I just topped off my system with Prestone Platnum. Hope that is compatible! Container indicated it was compatible with Ford AND the colors matchedā€¦.šŸ¤Ŗ. Did I screw up?
Lol Iā€™m not sure what youā€™re trying to get at here. But if something says itā€™s compatible with the coolant you need and it meets the same specifications, then it seems clearly obvious šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
Sponsored