BM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sorry folks if this is a repeat, I looked over the forums and couldn't find what I was looking for.

I am a new Bronco owner and looked at my coolant level today it is a hair below "low". The manual shows it should be between low and high so clearly it needs some. I can't find anyone locally who sells the recommended Motorcraft brand so I am expediting from Amazon and should get it Thursday. Don't really want to mess with taking it back to the dealership as it is a hassle to get in there usually.

Question is: how risky is it to drive until Thurs? I've put 400 miles on so far , no issues. It is hotter than hell in Illinois this week which is why I checked the coolant. Engine temp doesn't seem to be abnormal. Thanks much all
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it's just a hair below the Low line you should be fine until Thursday—just keep on eye on temps. Honestly... you'll probably be fine for quite some time with the fluid level at that mark... but always good to have proper fluid levels.

Don't forget to wait until the engine is cool before you add the fluid. Immediately after running cooling system may be under a fair amount of pressure. And also double check to see if it is prediluted or not—typically it will be if you buy the Motorcraft fluid listed in the manual... but if it isn't you'll have to do a 50%/50% mix.

OP
OP
mdk77

mdk77

Base
First Name
BM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If it's just a hair below the Low line you should be fine until Thursday—just keep on eye on temps. Honestly... you'll probably be fine for quite some time with the fluid level at that mark... but always good to have proper fluid levels.

Don't forget to wait until the engine is cool before you add the fluid. Immediately after running cooling system may be under a fair amount of pressure. And also double check to see if it is prediluted or not—typically it will be if you buy the Motorcraft fluid listed in the manual... but if it isn't you'll have to do a 50%/50% mix.
Thank you! I also read that the reservoir is higher than the radiator so if there's coolant in the reservoir I am probably ok as you state but better safe than sorry.

I did get the owners manual recommended coolant which is the Motorcraft 50/50.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you! I also read that the reservoir is higher than the radiator so if there's coolant in the reservoir I am probably ok as you state but better safe than sorry.

I did get the owners manual recommended coolant which is the Motorcraft 50/50.
Yeah that tank you see and pour fluid into basically holds extra coolant and acts as an overflow/expansion tank if there is too much coolant in the system. The fluid level will change as the vehicle increases/decreases in temperature, but as long you see fluid in that reservoir there is fluid in the cooling system.

So it isn't like there is an emergency situation on your hands if fluid is slightly low. But as you said... still a good idea to keep fluids topped off. (y)

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah when cold, if there is any discernible amount of fluid in the reservoir, it means your cooling system is full. The car uses what is in the cooling system to cool, not what is in the reservoir. The reservoirs job is to simply allow the expanding and contracting of the fluid in your system to go somewhere when hot and be recovered later as things cool off.

Unless you have a serious coolant leak, you'll be fine until Thursday. If anything like this happens, you can always add DISTILLED water instead. Yes it will slightly alter the 50/50 ratio, but would not even make that much of a difference for the few cups You would be putting in to put your level back in the midmark.

Sponsored

schlotzj

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Expedition Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP,

The level of my coolant reservoir was the exact same and I did not have any issues until I got to the dealership who graciously topped it off for free using the specified Motorcraft coolant.

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You'll be fine. Mine went down a bit after using my heater for the first time (back in March), probably burped a small air pocket out. Ran it that way for a few hundred miles before topping off with motorcraft yellow.
Sponsored