First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have driven other turbo and non turbo rides over 10K feet several times. Turbo is the way to go. Barely can notice a power loss. As to living in CO: the biggest issue now is it is a victim of its own success. Traffic is getting insane, even way outside of Denver. If you have to drive to work, plan very carefully and maybe try the ride a few times during rush hours. Besides that, a truly beautiful place to live.
Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The biggest tech that allows "normal" driving in the mountains is not turbos or superchargers but the variable timing and knock sensors, along with fuel injection and ECM.

When I almost moved to Colorado in 1974 I was told we would need smaller carburetor jets and retime the straight 6 in our '71 Camaro so it would run leaner to compensate for lower atmosphere

Macjr

Black Diamond
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad, 2020 Volvo xc40 RDesign
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have driven other turbo and non turbo rides over 10K feet several times. Turbo is the way to go. Barely can notice a power loss. As to living in CO: the biggest issue now is it is a victim of its own success. Traffic is getting insane, even way outside of Denver. If you have to drive to work, plan very carefully and maybe try the ride a few times during rush hours. Besides that, a truly beautiful place to live.
My girlfriend lives in Manitou, originally ordered her a Maverick, thinking about a Basesquatch instead…She drives a little suv now and it dogs going through some of the passes but I’m thinking the turbo 2.3 will do fine.

bronco100

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I live in Colorado Springs and just got a 2.3L Bronco with a manual. So far so good. I haven't taken it up any mountains or anything yet though. Let me know what questions you have.

Min_Ahn

Badlands
First Name
Min
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang, 2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 2.3L ecoboost Mustang and had absolutely no problem conquering mountains in CO.
Also I always refuel my car with the cheaper fuel at Costco because 87 octane is recommended for this car per owner's manual.

Sponsored

CMillBronco

Base
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GMC HD 3500 AT4, 2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD
Your Bronco Model
Base
I live in Colorado Springs and just got a 2.3L Bronco with a manual. So far so good. I haven't taken it up any mountains or anything yet though. Let me know what questions you have.
I'm just up the road from you and trying to decide if I can just do a 2.3, hows the turbo lag driving around town, I've notice in some turbo's the lag is much worse at altitude, we live at 6600 ft?

bronco100

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm just up the road from you and trying to decide if I can just do a 2.3, hows the turbo lag driving around town, I've notice in some turbo's the lag is much worse at altitude, we live at 6600 ft?
I don't have much point of reference as my previous cars have all been naturally aspirated. However I don't find the turbo lag to be problematic or noticeable. In fact it's remarkably smooth.
Sponsored