First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I mean better reliability of the turbo as a result of running cooler...
Not better reliability of the intercooler itself
Intercooler has no affect on the turbo just the temps that come from the compressor housing. Upgrading to a ball bearing turbo is the only way to achieve longevity in a turbo. Hot air produced from the turbo is what shortens the life span of an engine or cause pre detonation, poor fuel mileage, or the dreaded low speed detonation (eco boom).
Sponsored

friethmiller

Everglades
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150, 1974 Porsche 914, 1974 Porsche 914 LE
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

If you mount the intercooler on your safari bar, you might be able to mount a winch to the intercooler! Win-win!

RynoRanger

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Website
azbluey.com
Vehicle(s)
2.7L Badlands NS 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The best bang for your buck is the Ford performance tune.
or the VRTuned? always worry this is pushing too much. Ford one seems good but overly expensive for what it says it does?

RynoRanger

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Website
azbluey.com
Vehicle(s)
2.7L Badlands NS 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The benefits of an intercooler go far beyond HP and TQ gains. Heat soak can dramatically affect the performance of a vehicle.
&&
Intercooler upgrades are only needed for high boost high load situations like running flat out all the time which you won’t see on the trails.
with those statements in mind... I live and trail run / crawl in and around Phoenix Arizona... as you may or may not know... it's a very hot place in 8 or so summer months. How much benefit does the -15 or so degrees matter in the conditions I'm in? If I lived in a more average climate I wouldn't even question needing such a thing but because I live here... seems okay to inquire about such things.

Sponsored

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Intercooler has no affect on the turbo just the temps that come from the compressor housing. Upgrading to a ball bearing turbo is the only way to achieve longevity in a turbo. Hot air produced from the turbo is what shortens the life span of an engine or cause pre detonation, poor fuel mileage, or the dreaded low speed detonation (eco boom).
good smart info thank you -
So, upgrading the intercooler will help reliability / longevity of the engine itself by:
preventing pre detonation, improving poor fuel mileage, and mitigate the dreaded low speed detonation (eco boom).

correct??

so is it worth $800 over 10 years for the improvement in these areas?

What about cooling the air after the exhaust and before the turbo?
With an "aircooler"

Ford Bronco Mishimoto Ford Bronco Intercooler Kit [+VIDEO] For 2.3 and 2.7 Engines TDqEV (1)

ezgif.com-gif-maker-68jj-800x450.jpg

Last edited:

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As stated before, those gains are on a stock tune without charge pipes as well, im certain with both you’d make significant gains

besides that, look at the construction of the Mishimoto vs stock, $800 for a seemingly one and done job vs something thatll come apart in 5yrs or so, plus can handle added boost. Nothing short of an accident or getting it punctured somehow would take that unit out.

if you still think stock is fine and think an upgrades a waste, go ahead. Im just trying to figure out whether I want the high mount or not.

monsterfd

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 raptor widebody 37s, 2018 raptor 2018 JKU 35s
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

&&

with those statements in mind... I live and trail run / crawl in and around Phoenix Arizona... as you may or may not know... it's a very hot place in 8 or so summer months. How much benefit does the -15 or so degrees matter in the conditions I'm in? If I lived in a more average climate I wouldn't even question needing such a thing but because I live here... seems okay to inquire about such things.
it wont matter in your case, the oem will do its job and cool the air. if you are that worried about it (heat soak) you can reroute a windshield wiper sprayer to the front of your front mount, and run 50/50 water and alcohol. you press your wiper sprayer = water to soak up any heat and alcohol to quickly evaporate it away.

this is way more efficient than running an aftermarket larger intercooler because the larger the intercooler, the more heat soak it can hold.

Brnzbronc

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
&&

I’ll
451556[/ATTACH]

ezgif.com-gif-maker-68jj-800x450.jpg
Do have a device to monitor engine parameters? If you do, monitor and data log your CAC temps oem with the louvers. You’ll probably see the temps see greater than 150F. Mishimoto claims to drop 15 degrees which is garbage at best with the stock louvers. If you remove the louvers running oem intercooler the temps will never get above 110F so you will see a 50F plus drop in temps just removing the lower louvers. The problem is mishimoto can’t tell you to remove the louvers because of the legality reasons. You can see they leave them in place. The oem and mishimoto will perform pretty equally once the louvers are removed from the bumper. The big reason they are there is not for aerodynamics but for emissions control. They wanted the intake temps to be a a certain temp point to pass emissions to obtain those mpg claimed. So the question is why would you waste $800 when you can gain more or equal results by simply removing louvers.

Brnzbronc

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
As stated before, those gains are on a stock tune without charge pipes as well, im certain with both you’d make significant gains

besides that, look at the construction of the Mishimoto vs stock, $800 for a seemingly one and done job vs something thatll come apart in 5yrs or so, plus can handle added boost. Nothing short of an accident or getting it punctured somehow would take that unit out.

if you still think stock is fine and think an upgrades a waste, go ahead. Im just trying to figure out whether I want the high mount or not.
Just give the aftermarket world some more time… I’ll be on the look out from Full Race to make a high mount.

Sponsored

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just give the aftermarket world some more time… I’ll be on the look out from Full Race to make a high mount.
Where is the AM though, we should of had throttle bodies, injectors, and other stuff by now as well.

ill keep an eye out for full race though

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ll

Do have a device to monitor engine parameters? If you do, monitor and data log your CAC temps oem with the louvers. You’ll probably see the temps see greater than 150F. Mishimoto claims to drop 15 degrees which is garbage at best with the stock louvers. If you remove the louvers running oem intercooler the temps will never get above 110F so you will see a 50F plus drop in temps just removing the lower louvers. The problem is mishimoto can’t tell you to remove the louvers because of the legality reasons. You can see they leave them in place. The oem and mishimoto will perform pretty equally once the louvers are removed from the bumper. The big reason they are there is not for aerodynamics but for emissions control. They wanted the intake temps to be a a certain temp point to pass emissions to obtain those mpg claimed. So the question is why would you waste $800 when you can gain more or equal results by simply removing louvers.
So how would I go about removing the louvers? Just like A.S.S., I never wanted those either

Billnchristy

Black Diamond
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bmw m440i gc,2022 BD 2dr, 1966 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The only way to know if you "need" an upgraded intercooler is to run logs and track IAT. I can say from experience with my previous BMW (only vehicle I have logged) is that in summer I would see upwards of 160 sitting at a stop light which would drop to around 135-140 when moving again.

After knowing your IATs, focus on your timing. If you see timing pulled when the temps are high but not when they are lower (while it could be a million things the engine is monitoring) then you are losing power when your IAT is high.

I honestly doubt it's "needed" for almost any situation, but want is a thing and is the bronco really needed for most of our situations?

chris@pandamotorworks

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F250, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The only way to know if you "need" an upgraded intercooler is to run logs and track IAT. I can say from experience with my previous BMW (only vehicle I have logged) is that in summer I would see upwards of 160 sitting at a stop light which would drop to around 135-140 when moving again.

After knowing your IATs, focus on your timing. If you see timing pulled when the temps are high but not when they are lower (while it could be a million things the engine is monitoring) then you are losing power when your IAT is high.

I honestly doubt it's "needed" for almost any situation, but want is a thing and is the bronco really needed for most of our situations?

Intake Air Temp (IAT) will not help decide if you need an intercooler or not. Better looking at Charge Air Temp. But this will not be the only reason for upgrading an intercooler for your goals or what you are looking to do with your vehicle.

Timing being pulled would be a direct correlation to the temp. EcoBoost have CAT Protection protocol in the ECU and I am sure in certain situations it is being used in the bronco during the summer months. Focus ST was one of the worst I have seen and can feel when the timing is pulled in the summer months!

But If intercoolers had one job only and that was to cool the air we would be cutting and putting the biggest intercooler a man could buy on the vehicle.

But when looking at intercoolers to help improve performance and cooling of your vehicle you need to look at other items like flow overall size and construction of the unit.

Flow is very important when looking to increase power and safely. The less the turbo has to work the safer it is to make the power as its doing so with less RPM on the center section.

When looking at this intercooler having gains with zero tune change it is actually more impressive than most think. Sure peak its not big #'s but it is controlling temps better, giving an advantage in flow to help achieve more power than OEM with less turbo speed.

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I did intercoolers on my A4 and Ecoboost Mustang

problem was, Mustang was bundled with other mods (to avoid Ecoboom), A4 was fine either way but did notice a gain (also did it with a JHM tune, which is self learning)

either way, I futureproofed my cars, although again, Ill never forget this thread
Sponsored