First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F250, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You gain minimal hp with a stock tune, that’s like saying you gain 20 whp with an exhaust. The name of the game is heat soaking. Even aftermarket CAC will heat soak but will have a quicker cool down recovery. Again with stock format minimal gains, when you start pushing more than 22psi through it then yes after market is the way to go. No one in aftermarket world is pushing 22psi of boost in the Broncos ..(yet). Tuning world is recluse do to the EPA cracking down on all new vehicles. The JB4 barely breaks 20 psi. I doubt the OP is set out to hit the 400 -500 hp levels, I doubt he is wanting to to the 2.0 block swap for the 2.3 etc etc. There’s absolutely no sense to waste $900 for an intercooler to gain 5-10 whp.

Currently you would be correct as we do not have the capaciaty to take advantage of the intercooler flow & temp drops.

but with a full tune you would see more than what you are saying!

Its not a waste to spend $900 if you plan for the future or do some type of heavy off roading/racing as the temps will help keep it more constant from day 1

the new block will hold more power than the old generation 2.3 as well but I agree most owners here are not looking for 500whp
Sponsored

Brnzbronc

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Currently you would be correct as we do not have the capaciaty to take advantage of the intercooler flow & temp drops.

but with a full tune you would see more than what you are saying!

Its not a waste to spend $900 if you plan for the future or do some type of heavy off roading/racing as the temps will help keep it more constant from day 1

the new block will hold more power than the old generation 2.3 as well but I agree most owners here are not looking for 500whp
So sell products based on the truth and not B.S. this the whole point of a forum is to guide people with insight and truth not bait and hook sales tactics.

chris@pandamotorworks

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F250, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So sell products based on the truth and not B.S. this the whole point of a forum is to guide people with insight and truth not bait and hook sales tactics.

And everything I have stated has been on the truth and what to look for when purchasing an intercooler

No one in this thread asked when or why you would buy one but what should you look for when buying one.

OP
OP
Kfonte

Kfonte

Base
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi
Your Bronco Model
Base
@Brnzbronc I found the Whipple at $795, so it was a good enough price compared to the $750 for the mishi. As far as tuning, I currently have the FP tune but will most likely tune in the future after warranty. I do plan on having my Bronco for a while, so getting the best parts for longevity and future power was taken into consideration. I’ve made my bronco my hobby and work on it on the weekends and enjoy the labor of my work when I drive it. These guys have been pretty helpful in what I’ve been asking about and I appreciate all opinions on the matter since that was my initial question. Thanks for your input, as well.

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My 2 cents… don’t waste your money on the intercooler. I have had numerous ecoboosts vehicles with tuning etc. I’ve done a lot of comparison with data logging Cac temps and duty cycling. Just remove the louvers and run your oem. Unless you are wanting to push some serious boost or do some heavy towing aftermarket is a waste of money. Sorry whipple and mishimoto guys been there done that. Yes removing the louvers will throw a soft code but no dash lights. If your ocd like me I have a make shift bracket to trick the servo to think it’s opening and closing the louvers. The only gain I see that’s worth buying is the high mount from mishimoto especially if you plan on some heavy rock crawling or deep water excursions. If your just daily driving just stick with oem and remove the louvers.
I can only agree with the high mount and remove the grille shutters comment.

Stock is garbage and the weakest link, period. Intercooler + Charge Pipes are what our vehicles need, period. Ive owned an Ecoboost as well, I didnt tune it until I did the intercooler, as why add more heat and boost with a unit designed for 250hp tops?

That, and why not run cooler in general when you’re not going HAM, and when ya do go HAM, dont gotta worry as much either

Sponsored
OP
OP
Kfonte

Kfonte

Base
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi
Your Bronco Model
Base
I can only agree with the high mount and remove the grille shutters comment.

Stock is garbage and the weakest link, period. Intercooler + Charge Pipes are what our vehicles need, period. Ive owned an Ecoboost as well, I didnt tune it until I did the intercooler, as why add more heat and boost with a unit designed for 250hp tops?

That, and why not run cooler in general when you’re not going HAM, and when ya do go HAM, dont gotta worry as much either
Yeah babyyyyyyyyy!!!!! I feel ya! Though we can all agree on the same grill shutters, I can’t necessarily align with not getting an aftermarket IC on a 2.3L. To each their own, but of what I’ve researched, which is quite a bit, not upgrading was never an option.

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah babyyyyyyyyy!!!!! I feel ya! Though we can all agree on the same grill shutters, I can’t necessarily align with not getting an aftermarket IC on a 2.3L. To each their own, but of what I’ve researched, which is quite a bit, not upgrading was never an option.
Yeah, getting rid of those in the future, and again, even if the "gains" are minimal, I don't plan on getting an intercooler for buff ponies, but to safeguard from heatsoak and other complications down the line, with the pipes running cooler.

@Mishimoto , would it be a good or bad idea to powder coat the pipes btw?

Mishimoto

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, getting rid of those in the future, and again, even if the "gains" are minimal, I don't plan on getting an intercooler for buff ponies, but to safeguard from heatsoak and other complications down the line, with the pipes running cooler.

@Mishimoto , would it be a good or bad idea to powder coat the pipes btw?
As long as you're only coating the outside you won't effect the pipe's performance at all! We're offering our 2.3L pipes in a micro-wrinkle black powder coat along with a polished option

-Nick

OP
OP
Kfonte

Kfonte

Base
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi
Your Bronco Model
Base
Updating…Problem is the Afe coupling will not fit into the Whipple intercooler. I already reached out to afe and created a case # and I’m just waiting for their response.I’ve attached a vid. @Mishimoto this is where your extra inlets would have been perfect

Sponsored

85crawlrunner

Wildtrak
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

@panda and @lethalperfomance (or any other experts) if you guys were building the best combo of:

1) Chip/ tune that doesn't notify ford and void warranty by leaving a trace...
2) CAI
3) Charge Pipes
4) Intercooler

Running easily available 91 octane on a 2.7.

What would you select for your build and why?

So so many threads on these varying options and it gets a bit much to wade through...

heelyeah

Outer Banks
First Name
Tripp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco; 2022 F150 Lightning; 2021 JT (wife's)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@panda and @lethalperfomance (or any other experts) if you guys were building the best combo of:

2) CAI
3) Charge Pipes
4) Intercooler

So so many threads on these varying options and it gets a bit much to wade through...
I'm no expert but I went with options 1 (JB4), 2 (Roush CAI, if you can really call it that), and 4 (Mishimoto intercooler). Also have a Roush exhaust. I'm very very happy with my build.

Edit to add: if I was going to start with just one, it'd probably be the JB4.

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Good question, going Ford for now
2) CAI
Mishimoto, AFE, Injen
3) Charge Pipes
^MishimotoV
4) Intercooler

Makes me miss my old b7 A4, answer to everything was JHmotorsports
Sponsored