First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm looking to swap my intercooler, and it seems that these are the two everyone seems to have either already installed, or are waiting to get. I've done some basic research and I'm about to pull the trigger, but would like to know any opinions when it comes to these two. I have a 2.3 auto, 2 door base, with SAS.

Mishimoto has an 77% increase in core volume to Whipple's 58%

Mishimoto has 175% increase in fin surface area to Whipple's 144%

Whipple's intercooler is 12% less restrictive to Mishimoto's 7%

Whipple has a up to 32deg F drop in discharge temp to Mishimoto's 21.2deg F (2.3L)

I could only find dyno from Whipple on a 2.7 from @LethalPerformance so I'm not sure the numbers for the 2.3, but Mishimoto claims 5.7 whp and 5.3 lb-ft torque on theirs.

Finally, at a price of $750 (Mishimoto) to $900 (Whipple), Mishimoto has the edge in price, but scouring the internet, I was able to find Whipple's at a reduced rate to make the price difference nominal.

Is there anything I'm missing? I feel the most important component here is the higher drop in discharge temperature from whipple, am I wrong? Like I said earlier, I'm about to pull the trigger on one or the other, but would like some opinions before I do.
Sponsored

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mishi also offers charge pipes and a grill mounted intercooler so you can mount winched and stuff without concern

OP
OP
Kfonte

Kfonte

Base
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi
Your Bronco Model
Base
Mishi also offers charge pipes and a grill mounted intercooler so you can mount winched and stuff without concern
I won’t be mounting a winch so I’m not interested in the grill mount all that much. Has @Mishimoto already released their charge pipes? I was looking at the K&N ones since I’ll be upgrading my current Roush CAI to theirs.

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I won’t be mounting a winch so I’m not interested in the grill mount all that much. Has @Mishimoto already released their charge pipes? I was looking at the K&N ones since I’ll be upgrading my current Roush CAI to theirs.
Heard problems with the KN ones, that they wont fit with anything not stock

Im gonna stick with the Mishimoto cai, since if I wanna add a snorkel, it’s built with that in mind, they’ll have their own kit

Mishimoto

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not yet, but we'll have our presale launching very soon!

Another thing to note about our intercooler kit are our interchangeable inlets that we developed to make sure that this intercooler integrates with both the stock and upgraded piping. The set included with the intercooler will clip right into the OEM's quick disconnect fittings. We're including another set with our piping and full intercooler kit setups that both increase the inner diameter of the inlet and outlet, but also provide a clamping surface for our included silicone couplers.

We'll have more on the piping and full kits coming soon! Also, don't hesitate to reach out to me directly with any questions that you might have!

-Nick

Sponsored
OP
OP
Kfonte

Kfonte

Base
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not yet, but we'll have our presale launching very soon!

Another thing to note about our intercooler kit are our interchangeable inlets that we developed to make sure that this intercooler integrates with both the stock and upgraded piping. The set included with the intercooler will clip right into the OEM's quick disconnect fittings. We're including another set with our piping and full intercooler kit setups that both increase the inner diameter of the inlet and outlet, but also provide a clamping surface for our included silicone couplers.

We'll have more on the piping and full kits coming soon! Also, don't hesitate to reach out to me directly with any questions that you might have!

-Nick
That’s good to know about the interchangeable inlets; that’s really important as far as upgrading the charge pipes. Thanks for the response and I’ll be looking out for the presale on the pipes.

Mishimoto

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That’s good to know about the interchangeable inlets; that’s really important as far as upgrading the charge pipes. Thanks for the response and I’ll be looking out for the presale on the pipes.
We'll also be offering a presale for the full kit at the same time if you were looking to get them all at once!

-Nick

chris@pandamotorworks

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F250, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm looking to swap my intercooler, and it seems that these are the two everyone seems to have either already installed, or are waiting to get. I've done some basic research and I'm about to pull the trigger, but would like to know any opinions when it comes to these two. I have a 2.3 auto, 2 door base, with SAS.

Whipple has a up to 32deg F drop in discharge temp to Mishimoto's 21.2deg F (2.3L)

I could only find dyno from Whipple on a 2.7 from @LethalPerformance so I'm not sure the numbers for the 2.3, but Mishimoto claims 5.7 whp and 5.3 lb-ft torque on theirs.

Finally, at a price of $750 (Mishimoto) to $900 (Whipple), Mishimoto has the edge in price, but scouring the internet, I was able to find Whipple's at a reduced rate to make the price difference nominal.

Is there anything I'm missing? I feel the most important component here is the higher drop in discharge temperature from whipple, am I wrong? Like I said earlier, I'm about to pull the trigger on one or the other, but would like some opinions before I do.
Charge air drop is not the only thing to look at in an intercooler.

When looking at intercoolers you need to factor 3 main things

Fit/Quality of the unit
Charge air temp average
Flow Rate of the intercooler.

Flow is just as important as cooling. Having the perfect balance will net you better results consistently and let your turbo work less to make the same power.

We will do a lot of this testing on our in house dyno as more options come out that we will carry. We currently have 4 we are looking to test. Our @Mishimoto unit just showed up to us last week while we were at SEMA and can not wait to get it on and start our testing!

LethalPerformance

Raptor
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 First Edtion 2.7L / 2020 Shelby GT500 CF
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

We carry both Whipple and Mishimoto here at Lethal and can attest to either one being quality and being more than qualified to support stock turbo 2.3L/2.7L applications. I couldn't imagine seeing much, if any, difference between the two again, at a stock turbo level (and even more so if at stock boost levels).

The Mishimoto option is a bit more difficult to get right now as it is initial roll out, but it does look like as of RIGHT NOW there are some standard/unpainted options available and in stock.

We personally installed the Whipple option on our 2.7L and now another (different) one is going on our Raptor, but we have used plenty of Mishimoto products in the past. Whipple is going to be on sale a little closer to Black Friday here at Lethal, too.

We'd be happy to help with either option. Let us know what you'd like to do.

OP
OP
Kfonte

Kfonte

Base
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi
Your Bronco Model
Base
Charge air drop is not the only thing to look at in an intercooler.

When looking at intercoolers you need to factor 3 main things

Fit/Quality of the unit
Charge air temp average
Flow Rate of the intercooler.

Flow is just as important as cooling. Having the perfect balance will net you better results consistently and let your turbo work less to make the same power.

We will do a lot of this testing on our in house dyno as more options come out that we will carry. We currently have 4 we are looking to test. Our @Mishimoto unit just showed up to us last week while we were at SEMA and can not wait to get it on and start our testing!
Thanks Chris! I didn’t mean it was the only thing, but from what I had researched and gathered, the most important of the data I could find. Sorry for the confusion.

If flow is just as important, would Whipple’s 12% less restrictive create more flow than Mishimoto’s 7%? Albeit minimal. I’m sure there’s other factors, but that would be the assumption, correct?

I did like the inlets Mishimoto includes for aftermarket pipes though; that validates the importance of fit/quality in your response.

We carry both Whipple and Mishimoto here at Lethal and can attest to either one being quality and being more than qualified to support stock turbo 2.3L/2.7L applications. I couldn't imagine seeing much, if any, difference between the two again, at a stock turbo level (and even more so if at stock boost levels).

The Mishimoto option is a bit more difficult to get right now as it is initial roll out, but it does look like as of RIGHT NOW there are some standard/unpainted options available and in stock.

We personally installed the Whipple option on our 2.7L and now another (different) one is going on our Raptor, but we have used plenty of Mishimoto products in the past. Whipple is going to be on sale a little closer to Black Friday here at Lethal, too.

We'd be happy to help with either option. Let us know what you'd like to do.
Thanks! I ended up going with Whipple but I know both are great units, that’s why it was such a difficult decision. It was a bit more difficult to get the black mishi IC which is what I was originally looking for and how I stumbled into doing more research. I grabbed my FP tune from you guys at rollout, so thanks for that! It’s awesome and you guys rock!

Sponsored

chris@pandamotorworks

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks Chris! I didn’t mean it was the only thing, but from what I had researched and gathered, the most important of the data I could find. Sorry for the confusion.

If flow is just as important, would Whipple’s 12% less restrictive create more flow than Mishimoto’s 7%? Albeit minimal. I’m sure there’s other factors, but that would be the assumption, correct?

I did like the inlets Mishimoto includes for aftermarket pipes though; that validates the importance of fit/quality in your response.

Thanks! I ended up going with Whipple but I know both are great units, that’s why it was such a difficult decision. It was a bit more difficult to get the black mishi IC which is what I was originally looking for and how I stumbled into doing more research. I grabbed my FP tune from you guys at rollout, so thanks for that! It’s awesome and you guys rock!

Thats what it should mean but until we do testing I do not want to say it is!

Thanks

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good luck with your Whipple, Kris.

waiting for the high mount kit, figure that’ll do the trick for me.

Brnzbronc

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

My 2 cents… don’t waste your money on the intercooler. I have had numerous ecoboosts vehicles with tuning etc. I’ve done a lot of comparison with data logging Cac temps and duty cycling. Just remove the louvers and run your oem. Unless you are wanting to push some serious boost or do some heavy towing aftermarket is a waste of money. Sorry whipple and mishimoto guys been there done that. Yes removing the louvers will throw a soft code but no dash lights. If your ocd like me I have a make shift bracket to trick the servo to think it’s opening and closing the louvers. The only gain I see that’s worth buying is the high mount from mishimoto especially if you plan on some heavy rock crawling or deep water excursions. If your just daily driving just stick with oem and remove the louvers.

chris@pandamotorworks

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My 2 cents… don’t waste your money on the intercooler. I have had numerous ecoboosts vehicles with tuning etc. I’ve done a lot of comparison with data logging Cac temps and duty cycling. Just remove the louvers and run your oem. Unless you are wanting to push some serious boost or do some heavy towing aftermarket is a waste of money. Sorry whipple and mishimoto guys been there done that. Yes removing the louvers will throw a soft code but no dash lights. If your ocd like me I have a make shift bracket to trick the servo to think it’s opening and closing the louvers. The only gain I see that’s worth buying is the high mount from mishimoto especially if you plan on some heavy rock crawling or deep water excursions. If your just daily driving just stick with oem and remove the louvers.

Every 4 Cyl ecoboost engine comes with an undersized intercooler. the biggest gains on the 2.0/2.3/1.6 are from adding an intercooler to get your temps and flow in check so when you are increasing boost you are getting more constant results & more power over the factory unit.

Brnzbronc

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Every 4 Cyl ecoboost engine comes with an undersized intercooler. the biggest gains on the 2.0/2.3/1.6 are from adding an intercooler to get your temps and flow in check so when you are increasing boost you are getting more constant results & more power over the factory unit.
You gain minimal hp with a stock tune, that’s like saying you gain 20 whp with an exhaust. The name of the game is heat soaking. Even aftermarket CAC will heat soak but will have a quicker cool down recovery. Again with stock format minimal gains, when you start pushing more than 22psi through it then yes after market is the way to go. No one in aftermarket world is pushing 22psi of boost in the Broncos ..(yet). Tuning world is recluse do to the EPA cracking down on all new vehicles. The JB4 barely breaks 20 psi. I doubt the OP is set out to hit the 400 -500 hp levels, I doubt he is wanting to to the 2.0 block swap for the 2.3 etc etc. There’s absolutely no sense to waste $900 for an intercooler to gain 5-10 whp.
Sponsored